Vaccination Registration At Makro (Superhighway) Well Organised, Quick And Successful

Greenside

Interesting post, thanks. The Big Issue for many is whether 'we' will have to pay for jabs and how much that might be - I wonder if there was any info at all about payment? Or are you under the impression it would be free of charge (perhaps because you have a pink card)?

Also, I guess it would be a good idea to fill out your form in Thai, to help with comms?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Thanks again Greenside for the post.  I went there at 10:00 this morning and as you said it was the picture of efficiency with about 15 people staffing the reception unit and it looked like only 2 of us registering.  Was in and out in 10 mins approx and they booked an appointment for my first jab at the Bangkok Hospital, Chiang Mai on 7th July and they confirmed it would be the Astra Zeneca vaccine I'd be getting and it will be free-of-charge.

Did you register with your home country passport number, or some kind of Thai ID number?

• Sad 1

The point is moot. You're not going to get vaccinated with a pink card or without it. I would suspect that you will be asked to re-register through the new app that will be coming online sometime to never. Until that happens all this running about and posting is just a waste of energy.

• Sad 3

I'm in samui went last week got 7th June as did everyone else on the day just show passport very civilized told Astra zenica and it's free ,I think they are vaccinating all expats around the country 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

The point is moot. You're not going to get vaccinated with a pink card or without it. I would suspect that you will be asked to re-register through the new app that will be coming online sometime to never. Until that happens all this running about and posting is just a waste of energy.

I don't think so.  The girl spent 5 minutes searching nearby hospitals for a slot before giving me an official appointment sheet with date/time at my local hospital.  Why would they do all that only to say later we have to use an app instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like I wasted my time at Big C.  While it was well organized, they didn't ask for our email or phone number, and instead took info from our passport and our address and input it into a laptop.  We were told to call a phone number at the Health Dept in late June.

But, I'm learning of many others who registered at Makro and Tesco who are receiving appointments already.

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

If you have some kind of verified inside information as to why the local health authorities would go to the trouble of setting up well organised and convenient registration centres and making appointments at specific hospitals, maybe this would be a good time to share it and save others from going all the way to Makro. 

Otherwise it might be better for all concerned if you followed your own advice and register in an app when and if it appears, but I doubt you'll get much in the way of sympathy if you come back here to report that your appointment is weeks or even months later than those who took this opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I feel like I wasted my time at Big C.  While it was well organized, they didn't ask for our email or phone number, and instead took info from our passport and our address and input it into a laptop.  We were told to call a phone number at the Health Dept in late June.

But, I'm learning of many others who registered at Makro and Tesco who are receiving appointments already.

Nancy, I'd download that form I posted, fill it in and go see the Makro reception lady.  It has fields for phone, address and email and the person I saw had good enough English to understand if you explain that you'd like to come away with an actual appointment.  Let us know how you get on with that.

1 minute ago, Greenside said:

Nancy, I'd download that form I posted, fill it in and go see the Makro reception lady.  It has fields for phone, address and email and the person I saw had good enough English to understand if you explain that you'd like to come away with an actual appointment.  Let us know how you get on with that.

I don't have a yellow book or pink ID card.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NancyL said:

How much longer will they be doing registration at Makro?  Will they be there tomorrow?

The info I rcvd said 16th and 17th... I got there just about noon and needed passport only - not many people there but still took a few minutes anyway... relatively painless as we needed to do some shopping too... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I don't have a yellow book or pink ID card.  

I am afraid you'll have to wait for the "new app" they'll release next month.

Seems to be a major challenge for Thai developers to implement "Farang ID" based on (Country ISO code + Passport Number). In my previous life I would have asked an intern to associate one or more regular expressions to the ISO code to validate the passport numbers. 

So that would be one or two days for development, one hour for Thai english translation, one week for testing, training, commissioning, etc... Should have been in production a month ago.

But T.I.T we should probably keep the interns and sack two or three levels of entitled management starting from the top.

• Like 2

It's one big mess. First they say that foreigners must wait for the foreigner Mor App and now this .

I didn't know about this even though I go to Makro every week. Why didn't they report it in the newspapers?

How many days will the counters be open?

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I did the same at Warorot a few days ago, it was a waste of time too. They just took particulars of my passport and address, ask a lot of health questions and input into a laptop but they didn't give me any appointment date.

Which branch of Tesco is this?

Edited by EricTh

I thought this might help those who want a preview of the form:56952166_RegistrationformPreview.thumb.jpg.6ca842a441e386963ebba18eb1d19c1f.jpg

I'd be mildly interested to know if anyone at the registration centre asks about my improved version of the form!

Edited by Greenside

23 minutes ago, EricTh said:

It's one big mess. First they say that foreigners must wait for the foreigner Mor App and now this .

I didn't know about this even though I go to Makro every week. Why didn't they report it in the newspapers?

How many days will the counters be open?

Yes indeed it is a big mess because as a foreigner OUR Embassies should ask all their fellow country men to register and ask them what they want and how they will do it.  My dear Embassy send me a useless newsletter with information about how to register if I entry my home country again (with the wrong link to the wrong language). Why should I return after 30 years?  Nothing about how to do it in Thailand. I'm in the social security system so I have been contacted through that circuit. I think it is the job of the Embassies to work out a deal with the Thai government, it is not the job of Big C, Tesco or Makro. Yet again they have proven that they are useless for people who decided to make THailand their permanent home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

If you have some kind of verified inside information as to why the local health authorities would go to the trouble of setting up well organised and convenient registration centres and making appointments at specific hospitals, maybe this would be a good time to share it and save others from going all the way to Makro. 

In general and related to foreigners there is absolutely no indication whatsoever that they are in fact vaccinating for a nationals.

There is a great deal of consternation written in the press regarding foreigners being inoculated before Thais. That is an issue. In fact that is an issue that I personally experienced less than 10 days ago on site.

At best these vaccines are slated to roll out sometime in July but with these daily press releases they say one thing and then they say another quite literally every day.

I think where you kind of veered onto the wrong side of the road is that those medical personnel are set up to serve Thais you just happened to stumble on the project.

There is absolutely nothing that has gone right with the way that this nation has managed the safety concerns. So yeah I very much expected do over and all kinds of mixed messages and issues because that's what I see currently.

All very Chiang Mia-centric!

How about us in Pattaya. We are old and inferm too. Anyone in Pattaya managed to register in Big C Lotus or Makro? 

Spoke to my Hospital PM and was told to email contact details and they still don't know when they will get vaccines.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

All very Chiang Mia-centric!

How about us in Pattaya. We are old and inferm too. Anyone in Pattaya managed to register in Big C Lotus or Makro? 

Spoke to my Hospital PM and was told to email contact details and they still don't know when they will get vaccines.

And what about your Embassy? Sound of silence ?