Vaccination Registration At Makro (Superhighway) Well Organised, Quick And Successful

Greenside

Thanks for the post.

I also (unlike many on here) have absolutely no doubt that the registration process 

organization of slots etc will go very well. Thais are very good at this kind of thing, when push comes to shove.

The problem still remains & there are  no updates on anything ( other than to say that samples approved by UK & USA) is when this local Co

Siam Bioscience ( or whatever it is called) are going to be in a position to supply.

Here I have grave doubts & believe there is a problem that we are not being told about.

I hope I am wrong, but if all OK, Thais are normally telling the world about it

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Yes indeed it is a big mess because as a foreigner OUR Embassies should ask all their fellow country men to register and ask them what they want and how they will do it.  My dear Embassy send me a useless newsletter with information about how to register if I entry my home country again (with the wrong link to the wrong language). Why should I return after 30 years?  Nothing about how to do it in Thailand. I'm in the social security system so I have been contacted through that circuit. I think it is the job of the Embassies to work out a deal with the Thai government, it is not the job of Big C, Tesco or Makro. Yet again they have proven that they are useless for people who decided to make THailand their permanent home.

Khun Jeff what makes you so confused? Who's job is it then? You have any better ideas?

• Like 1

Had lunch today with a delightful young lady and her friends.

They recently graduated from UNI and are waiting for the mess to tone down before heading to BKK for Masters Degree.

They are all of like mind - as are their friends and people in their circle. They will wait until Moderna or Pfizer are available. No one trusts any Chinese Vac - or the made in Thailand copy

Word on the Street from the (much) younger than me Generation

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, canthai55 said:

Had lunch today with a delightful young lady and her friends.

They recently graduated from UNI and are waiting for the mess to tone down before heading to BKK for Masters Degree.

They are all of like mind - as are their friends and people in their circle. They will wait until Moderna or Pfizer are available. No one trusts any Chinese Vac - or the made in Thailand copy

Word on the Street from the (much) younger than me Generation

Based on rumors spread by the media. I know I have a couple young sons as well.

Would not be surprised if their sources (rumors) originated from Dubai. 

• Confused 1

Well, now they've changed the rules again.  According to a post today in the Facebook group COVID International Community Support Chiang Mai:

"The Provincial Health authorities are continuing their mobile teams for vaccination registration in shopping centres but they no longer want to encourage Thai nationals in general and foreign nationals to attend. Their original intention was always to first concentrate on registering elderly and persons with 7 underlying conditions (Thai ID cards including foreign national pink cards holders). Now they will only register these priority groups.

Thai nationals in general are instructed to wait and register Mor Phrom when it becomes available. Foreign nationals are instructed to wait for a dedicated application app for foreign nationals which will soon be made available."

I asked about those of us who had sent info to the hotmail address or who gave info at Makro, Big C or Lotus, but didn't get an appointment and received this reply:

"The way it will work is that as soon as the new foreign national app is launched, you will just need to enter your passport number and message will come up "Thanks you are already registered, please proceed straight to "Vaccination Appointment"

The moderator of this FB group suggested we not hold our breath waiting for the new foreign app.
  • Like 1

So, yesterday (17th May) my Thai wife was instructed to use Mor Prom (ver 2a) to register but they printed me out a businesslike looking appointment slip to be vaccinated with OAZ on July 1st at Rajaveh.  I guess we'll see how up to date that post is come tomorrow, but were I not yet appointed I'd still be showing up on the basis that they are probably entering the registrations into the database Mor Prom will populate.  Might they really try to get those with appointments to change them?

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Well, now they've changed the rules again.  According to a post today in the Facebook group COVID International Community Support Chiang Mai:

"The Provincial Health authorities are continuing their mobile teams for vaccination registration in shopping centres but they no longer want to encourage Thai nationals in general and foreign nationals to attend. Their original intention was always to first concentrate on registering elderly and persons with 7 underlying conditions (Thai ID cards including foreign national pink cards holders). Now they will only register these priority groups.

Thai nationals in general are instructed to wait and register Mor Phrom when it becomes available. Foreign nationals are instructed to wait for a dedicated application app for foreign nationals which will soon be made available."

I asked about those of us who had sent info to the hotmail address or who gave info at Makro, Big C or Lotus, but didn't get an appointment and received this reply:

"The way it will work is that as soon as the new foreign national app is launched, you will just need to enter your passport number and message will come up "Thanks you are already registered, please proceed straight to "Vaccination Appointment"

The moderator of this FB group suggested we not hold our breath waiting for the new foreign app.

With all the confusing statements coming up, it's difficult to know which is official.

So does that mean that those who registered at Makro will get their appointments cancelled? Does it mean we can't go to Makro anymore?

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

With all the confusing statements coming up, it's difficult to know which is official.

So does that mean that those who registered at Makro will get their appointments cancelled? Does it mean we can't go to Makro anymore?

No, it doesn't mean that at all.  If you have an appointment (with a hospital, date, and time) already, you have an appointment.

If you registered using a passport, then you don't have an appointment, you're, at best, going to be known to the new system and it will be up to you to use it to schedule your appointment.  Or maybe the Health Dept will contact you.  Who knows, but if you used a passport, you don't have an appointment, you just indicated your interest.

If all you have is a passport, don't bother going to Makro, Big C or Tesco Lotus today (Wednesday).  If you have a yellow book/Pink card and are age 60 or have one of the 7 health problems, then head on out.  9 am to 4 pm

Edit:  my source of info is the FB group COVID Community Support Group Chiang Mai, comments to posts in that FB group and the moderator's response.  It's moderated by Ben Svasti Thomson, the Hon. British Consul who is in close communication with the MoPH of CM province. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Thanks again Greenside for the post.  I went there at 10:00 this morning and as you said it was the picture of efficiency with about 15 people staffing the reception unit and it looked like only 2 of us registering.  Was in and out in 10 mins approx and they booked an appointment for my first jab at the Bangkok Hospital, Chiang Mai on 7th July and they confirmed it would be the Astra Zeneca vaccine I'd be getting and it will be free-of-charge.

Did you present a pink card or just a passport?

Edited by EricTh

16 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Did you present a pink card or just a passport?

I put both both on the form but (and Jonwilly agrees) they used the ID number from my card (same as the one in your Yellow Tabien Baan, before anyone asks) in preference.

I've been told by a friend who was going to go to Makro this morning that he managed to get an early July appointment using the LINE application yesterday afternoon.  It's in Thai so not a breeze, but maybe worth a try.

12 hours ago, NancyL said:

No, it doesn't mean that at all.  If you have an appointment (with a hospital, date, and time) already, you have an appointment.

If you registered using a passport, then you don't have an appointment, you're, at best, going to be known to the new system and it will be up to you to use it to schedule your appointment.  Or maybe the Health Dept will contact you.  Who knows, but if you used a passport, you don't have an appointment, you just indicated your interest.

If all you have is a passport, don't bother going to Makro, Big C or Tesco Lotus today (Wednesday).  If you have a yellow book/Pink card and are age 60 or have one of the 7 health problems, then head on out.  9 am to 4 pm

Edit:  my source of info is the FB group COVID Community Support Group Chiang Mai, comments to posts in that FB group and the moderator's response.  It's moderated by Ben Svasti Thomson, the Hon. British Consul who is in close communication with the MoPH of CM province. 

Nancy is right, only those foreigners with pink ID can get an appointment date now.

It's not fair because there are foreigners who have stayed as long or even longer in Thailand but didn't get the yellow book for one reason or another. For example, they registered their landed-property under his wife's name.

Edited by EricTh

Update on the Official LINE app.  The link to this given for my wife to register after I gave her details during my visit to Makro registration yesterday so I assume it's the latest available.

This notice helpfully appears after wading through about 6 pages and pressing the "Submit" button.

1776482127_ErrorMessage.JPG.a094d0ded42f096165415c78e99d60c4.JPG192313452_MP2a.JPG.e34c8182e887dbe33a590c23c1ce7b5e.JPG

Putting it on page one is too much to ask for.

Edited by Greenside

2 hours ago, Greenside said:

Update on the Official LINE app.  The link to this given for my wife to register after I gave her details during my visit to Makro registration yesterday so I assume it's the latest available.

This notice helpfully appears after wading through about 6 pages and pressing the "Submit" button.

1776482127_ErrorMessage.JPG.a094d0ded42f096165415c78e99d60c4.JPG192313452_MP2a.JPG.e34c8182e887dbe33a590c23c1ce7b5e.JPG

Putting it on page one is too much to ask for.

Thanks for your post and updates Greenside. I went to Makro this morning to register. I took my passport and my yellow book. My Thai wife spoke with one of the assistants who told her that the yellow book allowed you to register online but wasn't needed at this venue, a passport was enough. I registered, got no appointment but was told I would be contacted by phone or email. I appreciate being informed and hope it leads to vaccination. I downloaded the form and filled it in last night so was able to walk up to the wicket after verification. Thanks again.

17 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Thanks for your post and updates Greenside. I went to Makro this morning to register. I took my passport and my yellow book. My Thai wife spoke with one of the assistants who told her that the yellow book allowed you to register online but wasn't needed at this venue, a passport was enough. I registered, got no appointment but was told I would be contacted by phone or email. I appreciate being informed and hope it leads to vaccination. I downloaded the form and filled it in last night so was able to walk up to the wicket after verification. Thanks again.

Registration is easy but getting an appointment date is not.

It seems that only those foreigners with pink card can get an appointment date now. The rest have to wait.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Registration is easy but getting an appointment date is not.

It seems that only those foreigners with pink card can get an appointment date now. The rest have to wait.

It looks that way.  I wonder if anyone did manage to get an actual appointment at Makro on Wednesday.

4 hours ago, Greenside said:

It looks that way.  I wonder if anyone did manage to get an actual appointment at Makro on Wednesday.

I asked the staff manning the counter and she said foreigners without any pink card won't get an appointment date NOW.

The staff will just register them in their computer but it just means they are in a limbo.

I think it's unfair because foreigners with pink card aren't permanent residents so why should they be treated differently from other foreigners who have stayed as long or longer with the same visa types?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Not fair, I agree.

I suspect, as was suggested to me by a doctor I spoke to yesterday, that poor and inflexible IT systems are the cause of Pink ID card and Yellow Tabien Baan holders getting handled differently from those who can only provide a passport number.  The 13 digit ID on the book and the card may make it easier to fit us in with the general population for the purpose of determining priorities and scheduling appointments.  He said that bad IT was the root cause of the mess we are in now (well, that and bad planning).

Since having an ID card confers nothing much else in the way of an advantage it seems like a possible scenario.

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Greenside said:

Not fair, I agree.

I suspect, as was suggested to me by a doctor I spoke to yesterday, that poor and inflexible IT systems are the cause of Pink ID card and Yellow Tabien Baan holders getting handled differently from those who can only provide a passport number.  The 13 digit ID on the book and the card may make it easier to fit us in with the general population for the purpose of determining priorities and scheduling appointments.  He said that bad IT was the root cause of the mess we are in now (well, that and bad planning).

Since having an ID card confers nothing much else in the way of an advantage it seems like a possible scenario.

It very much looks to me like they want to have a centralized listing of appointments (and later, vaccinations) and to be able to cross check against duplicate appointments or vaccinations, and perhaps later identify those in need of a second dose etc.

They have set up a system that does that based on Thai ID number,  which is usual for such systems in Thailand. Foreigners with a Thai ID number can easily slot right in.

They are scratching their heads as to how to handle foreigners who don't have this number. Not all foreigners without a Thai ID number have a passport (many migrant  workers don't, neither do stateless people) and they are looking for a system to accommodate all. Even for those with passports, not as simple as the ID number since in order to render it unique it has to be combined with other data fields e.g. date of birth, nationality.

Certainly doable, but it is more complex than just adding one single field.

And yes, IT quality is poor as is English language ability.

Every time certain hospitals here revise their website it takes them at least 2 years to release an  English version. Hard to understand why, and it costs them business, but there it is.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is now rumoured that even if you have a Pink ID card and an 'official' appointment for a jab from a mobile team (such as the Makro contingent) it may NOT be worth the paper it's printed on as sources state we have to re-register on the newly launched web app instead and wait for another appointment.  Can someone clarify whether this is the truth please?

21 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

It is now rumoured that even if you have a Pink ID card and an 'official' appointment for a jab from a mobile team (such as the Makro contingent) it may NOT be worth the paper it's printed on as sources state we have to re-register on the newly launched web app instead and wait for another appointment.  Can someone clarify whether this is the truth please?

Probably.

And no doubt problems will occur with the new app but we will see.

4 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

I decided to email the hospital where my appointment was scheduled to happen and I'm pleased to say they confirm I'm still on their IT system and I should turn up 15 minutes ahead of the allotted time.   So I'd advise others who are concerned about these rumours to do the same for peace of mind.

As per my OP, I have an appointment for a first vaccination shot on July 1st at Rajaveh Hospital and went there earlier this week to see if it was still valid. Some confusion as I got the impression that no one there had actually seen a real appointment print out , but the consensus at the hospital was that it was okay and I should turn up on the due date. In view of the link you sent me I will try and get a second confirmation I'll let you know how it goes.

GOOD NEWS IF YOU ACTUALLY GOT AN APPOINTMENT AT ONE OF THE REGISTRATION CENTERS SUCH AS MAKRO!  THE CHECK FUNCTION ON THE NEW REGISTRATION SYSTEM AT http://chiangmaihealth.go.th/ RECOGNISED MY YELLOW BOOK/PINK CARD ID AND CAME UP WITH CONFIRMATION OF THE HOSPITAL, TIME AND DATE, SO IT SEEMS CLEAR THAT THOSE WITH A FOREIGNER ID WHO HAVE AN ACTUAL APPOINTMENT NEED NOT RE-REGISTER.