does Chang Wattana allow friend to accompany person extending tourist visa?

Friend is new to Thailand on tourist visa. i was asked to accompany her to Chang Wattana to help her extend her tourist visa. Haven't decided yet whether I want to go yet because of Covid risk, but was wondering if they would even allow another person to accompany someone if they are not related or needed (like landlord for some procedures)?

Strange question! People can come and go as they please into the immigration office so yes anyone can bring a friend and many do. But when your number is called it's better just to go and see the immigration officer alone. Having said that I can't see why anyone would need a friend tagging along as it's all pretty straightforward with staff there to help.

For sake of clarity re your friend's extension options.

1 - A 60-day Tourist Visa (or a 45-day Visa Exempt entry) is only eligible for ONE 30-day extension

2 - After that one-time 30-day extension your friend will only have 2 options when wanting to further stay in Thailand:

a) Applying for a 60-day covid-19 extension, which can be extended as long as Thai Immigration keeps on issuing them (as long as the current border restrictions are in place, it is unlikely that Immgration will stop providing such covid-19 extensions)

b) When +50 years of age, your friend can also apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of 'retirement', which has to be done when having still at least 15 days left on her permission to stay (some IOs require 21 or 23 days).  Subsequently, in the last month of those 90 days, she can then apply for a 1-year extension of stay which must be done at the same Imm Office that provided the initial 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 4:33 AM, edwardandtubs said:

But when your number is called it's better just to go and see the immigration officer alone.

Probably not advisable unless she is fluent in the Thai language. Immigration officers' grasp of the English language tends to range between rudimentary and non-existent in my experience.

• Like 1