BKK to Phuket flight question

Guest TerryS123

Guest TerryS123

Does anyone know if I could continue from BKK to Phuket? My current flight lands July 2 at 11:20 pm (23:20) from Tokyo. I was thinking about adding a morning flight to Phuket so I don't have to quarantine (stay at the airport). Would that work or because it is a separate ticket and overnight would I have to quarantine? Just checking my options. 

Edited by TerryS123

I think you need to do more research.  

There are very strict quarantine requirements to enter Thailand.  You have to do a 14 day hotel quarantine.  It has to be pre-booked and you need a pre-appoved Certificate of Entry before you will be allowed to board a plane to Thailand.

You will not be allowed to go to Phuket or anywhere until your quarantine is complete.

1 hour ago, TerryS123 said:

Does anyone know if I could continue from BKK to Phuket? My current flight lands July 2 at 11:20 pm

If you are referring to possible quarantine free travel to Phuket starting in July, the details of that haven't been announced yet.  That is just a possible plan that maybe might happen.  Don't get too excited about it until they release all the details, requirements, restrictions, expenses, etc, etc.   

Even if it does happen, it is impossible that they will allow people to take regular domestic flights to Phuket.  You may have to take an international flight direct to Phuket or maybe they will arrange special connecting flights from BKK to Phuket.

Edited by Phillip9

If they actually do start the no quarantine for Phuket you certainly will still need a certificate of entry and it will be issued after you have presented proof you have been vaccinated using a accepted vaccine and hotel/flight reservations. 

currently if u arrive in Bangkok, you quarantine in Bangkok>
after july 1st to get the "sandbox" phuket special you must arrive from outside Thailand directly into Phuket .

They are Talking of offering transit via Bangkok but no official announcements>

there are weekly flights from SIngapore into Phuket now

I understood that's only for direct international flights to Phuket.

IF you fly to Bangkok and then transfer to Phuket, you would arrive on domestic flight. They are not going to allow you to clear immigration to domestic terminal without quarantine in Bangkok.

I'm quite confident that won't work unless you fly from Tokyo directly to Phuket.

In anticipation of Phuket opening, several carriers have added almost daily flights directly to Phuket beginning July 1. They include Malaysian, Qatar, Emirates, Cathay Pacific and Singapore Air (moving to 6 days per week) and can be booked on the airline websites now.

Until officials announce COE requirements for Phuket and change the website allowing you to apply without submitting proof of an ASQ quarantine hotel, you should wait to make your plans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

In anticipation of Phuket opening, several carriers have added almost daily flights directly to Phuket beginning July 1. They include Malaysian, Qatar, Emirates, Cathay Pacific and Singapore Air

I would strongly advise against booking a flight until they announce the details.  I have a feeling that all the conditions, restrictions, and expenses will make this whole thing unappealing to most people.

• Like 1

One of the conditions is for 70% of the Phuket population to be fully inoculated. This condition was established before the current outbreak, I think. Now the government might steer vaccine distribution to the reddest zones, so it remains to be seen whether the island meets this minimum by July.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:48 AM, 10years said:

One of the conditions is for 70% of the Phuket population to be fully inoculated. This condition was established before the current outbreak, I think. Now the government might steer vaccine distribution to the reddest zones, so it remains to be seen whether the island meets this minimum by July.

It might be doable - but I think it is 'tight' ... and even if successful, it does not leave margin for announcing cancellation or approval, given travelers often need to finalize their plans in advance.

If one assumes a population of Phuket at 440,000, and further notes 70% required to be vaccinated.  The press reports 22% already vaccinated so that leaves 48% still to be vaccinated to each the 70%.  

48% of 440,000 is about 211,000 to be vaccinated.  If one assumes 2 jabs needed, then that means 422,000 jabs between now and 1-July (where for Chinese CoronaVac, there is about 3 weeks between jabs).  News from yesterday noted Phuket in 6-different vaccination locations was able to vaccinate 14,000 people.   422,000-jabs divide by 14,000 jabs/day equals about 30-days.  ....  That assumes they can maintain 14,000 jabs/day for 7-days a week between now and 1-July.

There are more than 30-days between now and 1-July.  So theoretically its possible, but it leaves no margin for a slow down in the application of jabs, no margin for late vaccination deliveries to Phuket, no margin for vaccines destined to Phuket once again being re-directed elsewhere to areas in Thailand that need it more than Phuket,  .... 

Combine this with the need for travelers to finalize their plans in advance, and it makes the situation while theoretically doable, ... rather problematic and difficult in practice.

I guess all we can do is hope for the best.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, oldcpu said:

48% of 440,000 is about 211,000 to be vaccinated.  If one assumes 2 jabs needed, then that means 422,000 jabs between now and 1-July (where for Chinese CoronaVac, there is about 3 weeks between jabs).  News from yesterday noted Phuket in 6-different vaccination locations was able to vaccinate 14,000 people.   422,000-jabs divide by 14,000 jabs/day equals about 30-days.  ....  That assumes they can maintain 14,000 jabs/day for 7-days a week between now and 1-July.

Full protection is not present until two weeks after the second injection meaning the jabs must be completed by close of play on the 17th June.  Including the day of your post on Thursday, that gives 29 days available and > 30 required.

I'm sure they'll go with one jab being sufficient as most of the protection comes from the first jab.

2 hours ago, treetops said:

Full protection is not present until two weeks after the second injection meaning the jabs must be completed by close of play on the 17th June.  Including the day of your post on Thursday, that gives 29 days available and > 30 required.

I'm sure they'll go with one jab being sufficient as most of the protection comes from the first jab.

As you note, it appears even more difficult to get both jabs by 17-June - although my numbers were very speculative estimates.  Here is something my wife sent me, dated 20-May-2021, which purports to give more accurate figures for Phuket vaccination status.  The image notes as of 20-May, 31.5% of Phuket residents vaccinated, but it gives a larger population than what I estimated, with it giving a population of 466,587.   ... Further, my speculation is in that 466,587 population .... only 22% have received 2 doses, and 9.5% only received 1 dose.  So one could re-calculate that, and then come up with what sort of daily rate is needed to meet 17-June, and see if even credible.  ... I suspect close , with next no margin 'may' be doable (if nothing gos wrong).   Then there is the question of margin for things that go wrong - and its pretty difficult in life to avoid things going wrong.

Still - I find it encouraging that an effort is being made here.  I just hope that it continues.

2021-05-20-puket-vaccination-status_640h.jpeg

Edited by oldcpu

On 5/22/2021 at 4:59 PM, treetops said:

Full protection is not present until two weeks after the second injection meaning the jabs must be completed by close of play on the 17th June.

Further to this thread, Phuket news has an update .... they note that " “The last day of mass vaccinations in Phuket will be on June 24. We will have more than 70% of people vaccinated and have achieved herd immunity, so that we can welcome vaccinated tourists,” Dr Chalermpong said." where Dr.Chalermpong is Dr Chalermpong Sukontapol, Director of Vachira Phuket Hospital. 

Here is the link (reference) for the above 24-June-2021 planned end date for the Phuket 'mass vaccinations' program:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-foreigners-to-get-sinovac-80102.php