Drivers escape serious injury after a pickup truck driver collides with taxi driver at Pattaya intersection

webfact

pat.jpg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Banglamung – Two drivers escaped serious injury after a pickup truck driver collided with a taxi driver at an intersection in Pattaya this morning (May 17th).

The Nongprue Police were notified of the accident at the railway intersection at 10:00 A.M. in Soi Nern Plubwan in Nongprue.

Emergency responders and The Pattaya News arrived at the scene to find the overturned SUV taxi on a road near the damaged pickup truck. This particular intersection, The Pattaya News notes, is often hectic and has been the site of prior accidents.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/17/drivers-escape-serious-injury-after-a-pickup-truck-driver-collides-with-taxi-driver-at-pattaya-intersection/

PattayaNews.jpg

I didn't wait around long enough to give my side of the story!  didn't see the need like before hearing my side would only enrage both drivers? the police would just look at me with that blank stare " what is he talking about T.I.T. "

I was stopped at the intersection with another lady biker on my left with another SUV, on my right headed towards Sukhumvit waiting for a clear opening to cross. Sitting getting the big picture 5 seconds prior to impact out of habit I yelled out in English " look out "  bang rollover the lady turn and look at me with the expression " how did you know " I just roll my head.

I've seen this over and over again. SUV, taxi yes it look as if he was slowing down to enter the intersection but like most drivers here they don't actually do it until it is too late. Then you got the pickup delivery driver instead of slowing down he guns the gas to speed through the intersection basically like so many I've got the size and speed so clear the way.

The cops would come and not understand what happen no training reason I didn't stay long enough to be a witness. If one was there you would see there was no skid marks for the pickup NONE! nor was for the taxi he wasn't lying he never had a chance when he just roll out without looking. I shake my head because if opposite which was where I was if you have cars,bikes stopped one would think WHY? 

See here there are lots of painted marking on the roads, but none of them mean anything since it has never been explained to drivers or the police. At this intersection it is consider an " uncontrollable intersection " basically a 3 way stop, but the White markings are all nearly gone even if they weren't no one has a idea what a 10 CM solid white horizontal means it is same as a stop sign which of course no knows what that is also. 

A simple slow down and proceed with caution would have prevented this accident it is when in doubt? In the real world, both would have been cited put on their record but regardless of Thailand this accident for both will teach them in the future not to do it again because the outcome ( penalty ) was so great they will remember it for a long long time. ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johng said:

That railway road has been a nightmare ever since it opened !

designed wrong from the start  ,at every junction no one knows who has priority   even though there are  faded stop markings on the road.

What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to understand everyone in Thailand has priority.

Get with the program man. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2021 at 4:17 AM, webfact said:

This particular intersection, The Pattaya News notes, is often hectic and has been the site of prior accidents.

I knew it was a dangerous area first time I ever saw it.

Chuck a few incompetent and untrained drivers into the mix and viola! An incident blackspot.

Its the completely screwed up mentality of half the drivers that cause these completely avoidable accidents. 

Just last week: I was turning right across traffic from a main road (Sukhumvit 71 in Bangkok) onto a smaller side Soi. I was following a line of 3 cars which had also turned right. 

The a delivery pickup bearing down on me, he clearly didn’t want to stop for traffic turning across him and was ’timing’ it so he didn’t have to slow down. 

If things carried on moving as they were he would not hit me, but as the pickup driver approached it became clear that if I had to stop for some reason he would not be able to avoid impact. 

If the car in front of me had to stop as it entered the narrow side soi, I, behind, would also have to stop. 

The picking motoring down on me would hit me. 

Fortunately, this didn’t happen, the car in front didn’t need to stop and the delivery pickup was able to continued roaring down the road having assumed correctly that I wouldn’t stop and he would miss me. 

IF the pickup had hit me, the accident would have been my fault. I was turning across traffic. 

But the accident would have been 100% avoidable by the pickup driver who was driving aggressively.

Also, I could have avoided risk if I waited until the road was 100% clear, but its impossible to drive like that in Bangkok and we have to drive with a degree of assertiveness and follow other lines of traffic when making a turn otherwise we’ll never get anywhere as no one ever gives way so we have to be a little forceful. 

The issue for me - another driver was so ready to have a collision because he didn’t want to slow down even slightly to protect himself from the possibility of an accident - utter stupidity.