Beach “closures” in Pattaya, park closures in Bangkok, spark confusion and anger from local residents

webfact

IMO there is no point trying and figuring out what restrictions are actually appropriate to stop the spreading of the pandemic because they are meant to create as much confusion and fear as possible worldwide in order to make populations fall on their knees begging for their vaccine. If there were not such mind boggling and hysteria, a reasonable approach of the situation would certainly not create such a huge demand for vaccination.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

What is the jail sentence for walking on a beach instead of the pavement right besides it?

Depends which cop arrests you; in Pattaya, it's 20 years hard labour or 500 baht 'fine'; up-to-you.

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

For anyone in doubt why beaches are closed...As soon as bar closures happen, groups of every nationality start partying on the beach....with acohol banned in restos beaches became like rave parties...even now, walking at 6am in Jomtien, groups of people with their Chang beers and Thai whiskey..what's hard to understand

Damn...gotta run. I'm missing "breakfast in a bottle on the beach"! Hit Happy Hour there last night! And night before, come to think of it. 

These silly power grabs at control aren't working and never will. Saw plenty of drinking along the sois last night too. Outside on front of bars, salons, etc. About time! Can't believe it took this long. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

For anyone in doubt why beaches are closed...As soon as bar closures happen, groups of every nationality start partying on the beach....with acohol banned in restos beaches became like rave parties...even now, walking at 6am in Jomtien, groups of people with their Chang beers and Thai whiskey..what's hard to understand

I don't  drink alcohol, can I use the beach.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

What is the jail sentence for walking on a beach instead of the pavement right besides it?

the sentence will be a stern "talking to" - and in my case a law enforcement official will take a picture of you with his mobile phone

I don't see much of this at the beaches in Phuket...a few BIBs patrolling the beaches would keep the Jomtien alkies in check. 

What's hard to understand is why ban beaches and parks from exercise which is very good for you, just ban group gatherings and alcohol, SIMPLE. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

I attend a support group of people diagnosed with both Alcoholism and Autophobia (Fear of being alone). Shouldn't we be granted a medical exception to the Covid laws?

The best place for you is WITH your support group.  That way, you won't be alone and you will be less tempted to drink.  You don't need to be on the beach for that.  Why on earth would you think special rights should be granted to people with mental problems?

• Like 1

Yes the government  can't seem to get things in priority here

Exercising along the beach or even in parks is a lot safer than on the roads

Answer is get the. vaccination program rolling faster so we can all get back to a normal way of life

Can't understand Tourists wanting to come here with all the restrictions going on .

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I don't see much of this at the beaches in Phuket...a few BIBs patrolling the beaches would keep the Jomtien alkies in check. 

The ridiculous Jomtien Soi 7 bar scene has now shifted to Beach Rd. at sunset.  Same sh*itshow but no cops breaking it up until 8PM or so.

• Like 1

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
3 hours ago, wadman said:

Well said.  Contrary to popular believe of some people, the people in charge are not quite that stupid that they think that walking on a beach alone will cause infection.  It's all the liberties taken to socialize, drink and party that does.  It is much more difficult to closely monitor everyone to ensure no socializing, so the solution is to enforce a wider ban.  Call it collateral damage.

And then, it is of no consequence to be outside, near salt water and have a little fun. Only keep a little distance and nobody will get sick or infected. The Idea of not rating OR drinking on the beach is Just crazy, it has nothing to do with Covid but more with complieing to strange rules that Will not help whatsoever. People will go drinking at home and there are the infections spread more quickly then in the open air through so called breath aerosoles... So couvernor should take a scientific approach and not take nonsence as rule. Find IT in Google, everywhere are scientific papers and messages to tell what goes on!

Be safe and use vit D and ivermectine if you feel sick.

27 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

1)The beach has no air conditioning. The police station does, as do their pick up trucks.

2)Much of this diabolical activity takes place in the open air (as we have established) and at night. An environment which is rather outside the constabularies comfort zone!

• Like 1

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
9 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Yes the government  can't seem to get things in priority here

Exercising along the beach or even in parks is a lot safer than on the roads

Answer is get the. vaccination program rolling faster so we can all get back to a normal way of life

Can't understand Tourists wanting to come here with all the restrictions going on .

And what with people that don't want this Jan, who know IT is a testvaccin, even hardly tester on people and stift ongoiing for 5 years??

This make some people believe IT may be hazardous for your body and health. In some countries the vacinated people are getting sick with corona, more then before this Jab..

Well they should be Punished, not law abiding citizens both Thai and visitors.... 

Australia and NZ only achieved zero Covid by strict lock-downs, in Victoria we had 181 days of lock-downs at varying levels

How hard would it be for Anutin or the PM to simply copy what we did ?

The Australian government partially funded people during these lock downs so my guess is that the Big Boys dont want to open their burgeoning wallets, better to buy Subs and Space Rockets so they can look like a sophisticated country ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonray said:

On a bright note...I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to eat a nice lunch at the Ikea restaurant yesterday afternoon....makes a world of difference instead of just going to the supermarket and right back home.

I'm jealous. Ikea was also the first place we were heading to when the dining ban was lifted. The lights were on in their dining area, but no a soul in sight (sigh). The cheerful greeter at the entrance told us to be patient and come back on the 19th, when in-dining will be available again, "but right now, do you want to get some take-out?" This is at Mega Bangna in Samut Prakan.

2 minutes ago, watthong said:

I'm jealous. Ikea was also the first place we were heading to when the dining ban was lifted. The lights were on in their dining area, but no a soul in sight (sigh). The cheerful greeter at the entrance told us to be patient and come back on the 19th, when in-dining will be available again, "but right now, do you want to get some take-out?" This is at Mega Bangna in Samut Prakan.

Ahh...Yes, I was actually looking at furniture and just headed to the restaurant area to use the restroom....once I arrived I noticed people sitting and eating....so I dove right in !  This was at Central Westgate, Nonthaburi

Edited by tonray

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Ahh...Yes, I was actually looking at furniture and just headed to the restaurant area to use the restroom....once I arrived I noticed people sitting and eating....so I dove right in !  This was at Central Westgate, Nonthaburi

Oh I think I've got the answer to the riddle now...Maybe because Samut Prakan is still red while Nonthaburi has gone orange?

8 minutes ago, starky said:

Agreed no country has really sorted it out sensibly. Australia probably has some of the stupidest rules of all. You can go to a pub and sit down but you can't stand up. Cafes restaurants excetera closed for long periods but virtually unlimited people in supermarkets. You can have near capacity crowds at a football match but concerts are not allowed.

Most recent Lockdown you could have 20 people in your house, 10 at a funeral and only 3 at a wedding? Beggars belief, especially considering the people at the funeral or the wedding would most likely be from the 20 people you would invite to your house. Our states can't agree on anything, there is zero consistency on any legislation the rules seem to be arbitrarily plucked out of thin air and now our PM is saying the borders reopening will have nothing to do with the vaccination roll out. Pure insanity. More to your point the best thing is to get out in the sun get some Vitamin D, get some exercise in and stay healthy as possible. Not be cooped up in a state of near perpetual Lockdown. 

Of course there needs to be rules regarding social distancing, mask wearing and all the other things that are working but the inconsistencies are profound. 

Yeah right! they should have referred to their Pandemic Handbook, hey Mr 2 bob expert

Most of the info you whinge about here is long past history and guess what???     We have zero Covid

Reading this, one word comes to mind.......SOOK!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Harm Hendrik Reitsma said:

And then, it is of no consequence to be outside, near salt water and have a little fun. Only keep a little distance and nobody will get sick or infected. The Idea of not rating OR drinking on the beach is Just crazy, it has nothing to do with Covid but more with complieing to strange rules that Will not help whatsoever. People will go drinking at home and there are the infections spread more quickly then in the open air through so called breath aerosoles... So couvernor should take a scientific approach and not take nonsence as rule. Find IT in Google, everywhere are scientific papers and messages to tell what goes on!

Be safe and use vit D and ivermectine if you feel sick.

infections spread more quickly then in the open air through so called breath aerosoles... 

You're right... there are too many aerosoles about.

When Phutthamonthon park was closed, all the regular joggers and cyclists just congregated in the makeshift car park out the front, so instead of having 2500 rai of open space to exercise in, they now had 2 rai to squash in to.

Now all the security guards are just sitting around smoking and eating, and generally becoming fatter.

SURELY, the wise thing to do would be to allow people in to the park, but not to congregate. If they are caught congregating - by the otherwise-unengaged security guards - they are punished with a fine(or public shaming, that would be my punishment of choice, a few laps of the park?).

But no, the entire massive park is closed, and people are even closer together than they were before.

That's the problem with these rules, they're not preventing the spread of covid, on the contrary, they're squeezing more people into less space, i.e. the shopping centres, which must inevitably be increasing the spread of covid.

Will anybody in power see sense? Probably not, because that would mean admitting to failure.

• Sad 1

Why close the beaches? The police should just do their jobs, find a group who are drinking alcohol and make them pour their drinks into the sand, 

all of the drinks, even the unopened ones have to be opened and poured out, then fine the drivers 1000 baht.  Have the media take lots of pictures

to shame the drinkers, and make it known that there will be no tolerance and no exceptions.    Closing the beaches is just stupid, especially when the country

is supposed to be planning to re open to tourists.  

Geezer

• Like 2