Beach “closures” in Pattaya, park closures in Bangkok, spark confusion and anger from local residents

webfact

15 hours ago, wadman said:

Catching Covid and drinking often go together.  You get rid of one, you get rid of the other to a large degree.

No, drink has zero to do with it. People gathered together in a confined area maybe, weather drinking, eating somtam or shopping in Central.

People walking, jogging or swimming on the beach are not a health issue at all.

• Like 1

Covid is airborne.  Since we all gotta breathe, it's best then to do it where there is as much fresh moving air as possible, sunlight also kills viruses.

That means, closing open spaces and disinfecting surfaces is not the solution, neither are these silly screens at food courts and music venues, they're now believed to help spread the virus, because they limit the free-flow of fresh air.

It also means this thing is going to crush this economy until they get at least 70% vaxxed, and then keep it up, forever.

Tha'ts what it means.

54 minutes ago, chrissables said:

No, drink has zero to do with it. People gathered together in a confined area maybe, weather drinking, eating somtam or shopping in Central.

People walking, jogging or swimming on the beach are not a health issue at all.

You really shouldn't be debating this with me.  You should go to the beach/boardwalk in Pattaya, alcoholic drink in hand, and debate this with the cop who will be coming your way.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, wadman said:

You really shouldn't be debating this with me.  You should go to the beach/boardwalk in Pattaya, alcoholic drink in hand, and debate this with the cop who will be coming your way.

Did you write this? "Catching Covid and drinking often go together.  You get rid of one, you get rid of the other to a large degree."

You did so i was replying to statement.

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

Did you write this? "Catching Covid and drinking often go together.  You get rid of one, you get rid of the other to a large degree."

You did so i was replying to statement.

You seem very sure of your stance, so go argue it where it really matters.  I.E. put your money where your mouth is, go to the beaches and parks in Thailand where there are restrictions, and start drinking and taking your mask off.

EDIT: better yet, find a policeman in those places, walk right up to him, and do those things

Edited by wadman

6 hours ago, wadman said:

You seem very sure of your stance, so go argue it where it really matters.  I.E. put your money where your mouth is, go to the beaches and parks in Thailand where there are restrictions, and start drinking and taking your mask off.

EDIT: better yet, find a policeman in those places, walk right up to him, and do those things

I am sure 100% beer does not spread covid more than eating Somtam. Just because a policeman may or may not arrest does not alter the fact.

I really don't get the rationale around beach closures to be honest.  I think it was a HUGE over-reaction to those who were abusing social distancing on the beaches.

The outright closure of beaches actually promotes the spread of Covid, instead of reducing it.

I say this because "exercise" is one of the most important things for having a strong immune response which protects you from becoming infected.  Preventing people from swimming or running on the beach encourages people to have a compromised immune response for this reason.

Yes, I know that running along beach roads is permitted, but a huge number of people loiter and congregate along the beach roads now, and so the beach roads are now far more dangerous for social distancing than the beaches could ever be.

It would make a lot more sense for authorities to focus on breaking up people gathering in big numbers ANYWHERE but allowing individuals who pose no social distancing threat to use the beaches fully (both for running and for swimming, or simply sitting by themselves on the sand enjoying the beach for that matter).

What's more, science based data says that there is almost no need for mask wearing if you are outdoors and practicing safe social-distancing.  Yet we have these draconian restrictions about mask wearing outdoors that defy science-based logic. 

This universal restriction about maske-wearing outdoors just makes no sense, and if you've ever tried to jog on a hot day with a mask on, you know how UNHEALTHY that can be.

Simply put, the chances of contracting or spreading the virus while swimming or running without a mask on the beach is almost zero!

I have to admit that in the last week, authorities seem to be getting more flexible about this.  I have been jogging on the beach lately (without a mask on, but on my wrist so I can put it on should someone approach me), and at least the lifeguards on the beach don't seem upset when they see me jog by them like that.

Hopefully, the beaches will open back up again by the end of May (I hope). 

Anyone have thoughts on how likely this might be?

Edited by WaveHunter