No longer a regional leader, Thailand is slipping in ASEAN Covid rankings

webfact

4 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Thanks to our wonderful PM for making things worse.

It starts at the top.

With any luck it will end at the top... but with his monpolised position he will stay.

I just hope that Thais remember all this when the vote comes around, but no doubt that will be years away as the PM secures his reign.

If there was a vote now he's be on the skids.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cclub75 said:

Bye bye "Zero Covid" ideology...

But Thailand can reassure itself... Look at Singapore !

The situation there is desperate, according to Bangkok Post :

For four weeks from May 16 to June 13, gathering sizes as well as household visitors will be cut to a maximum of two people from five people now, working from home will be the default, and food places can only do takeaways and deliveries, the health ministry said in a statement on Friday.

Let's have a look at the chart.

SINGA.png.df2f15be84a1fb331bf4f139524eff01.png

The situation is indeed desperate.

????

My point : "Zero Covid" is an ideology.

-It doesn't work (even for islands, look at Maldives, Seychelles...)

-and it's very, very costly (New-Zeland can can enjoy "Zero Covid" ideology, because they can afford it.... Most of the countries in Asia... can not... Thailand for that matter is a perfect example)

Conclusion : stop the hysteria. Give vaccine to the people at risks... And just accept a few thousands of  deads every year... like you accept karma, thousands of deads in car accidents, of weird diseases, of heart attacks etc.

It's called life.

I'm in Singapore and though the target is always zero community transmission, it's about aiming high to achieve the best results while accepting we can't be perfect. Why the government is tightening the screw again is because the new variants especially from India has crept pass all the health measures in place at the borders and into the community and infecting inoculated personnel no less. If left unabated, an island so densely populated like Singapore will suffer more. I don't see anything wrong with the government trying to prevent the pandemic takiNg more lives. To them, any live lost is too many.

You have your right to your beliefs, but I rather not be in the same place where you practice them. Because your accepted thousands of deaths can easily be millions just because of that attitude of accepting nothing more can be done. 

8 hours ago, cclub75 said:

Bye bye "Zero Covid" ideology...

But Thailand can reassure itself... Look at Singapore !

The situation there is desperate, according to Bangkok Post :

For four weeks from May 16 to June 13, gathering sizes as well as household visitors will be cut to a maximum of two people from five people now, working from home will be the default, and food places can only do takeaways and deliveries, the health ministry said in a statement on Friday.

Let's have a look at the chart.

SINGA.png.df2f15be84a1fb331bf4f139524eff01.png

The situation is indeed desperate.

????

My point : "Zero Covid" is an ideology.

-It doesn't work (even for islands, look at Maldives, Seychelles...)

-and it's very, very costly (New-Zeland can can enjoy "Zero Covid" ideology, because they can afford it.... Most of the countries in Asia... can not... Thailand for that matter is a perfect example)

Conclusion : stop the hysteria. Give vaccine to the people at risks... And just accept a few thousands of  deads every year... like you accept karma, thousands of deads in car accidents, of weird diseases, of heart attacks etc.

It's called life.

All is not lost quite yet, This antiviral solution sounds very promising 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-17/queensland-coronavirus-antiviral-treatment-covid-19/100144370

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

All is not lost quite yet, This antiviral solution sounds very promising 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-17/queensland-coronavirus-antiviral-treatment-covid-19/100144370

That was a fascinating and hopeful piece of news, not just for covid but the fight against many viruses. 

The term 'gene silencing' was a new one for me, but I'll be watching how that develops.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

That was a fascinating and hopeful piece of news, not just for covid but the fight against many viruses. 

The term 'gene silencing' was a new one for me, but I'll be watching how that develops.

"Gene Silencing"  - may become very fashionable in the future - just think of the possibilities.....

11 hours ago, timendres said:

But the WHO recognized Thailand as one of the top countries in the entire world that were best at handling the virus...

Yes, one actually heard that in the German media, "what dream figures". The naivety of people is amazing. It was no secret that Thailand hardly did any testing back then, but their "dream figures" were taken at face value. Many of us on here said back then that the real figures were much higher. Reality now kicking in.

Edited by Logosone