Thailand reports daily record of 35 new COVID-19 deaths, 2,473 cases

webfact

15 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It looks like these higher numbers of deaths and infections have been let to fester as planned and orchestrated to be collateral damage in order to get to the bigger plan for Sinocrap jabbing and then the golden egg plan of the AZ. Hard to impossible to believe that this was not planned and they are so naive. If not then why have they not fast track approved other vaccines as too much time has went by. Think about it, It Seems To Reason.

The possibilities when it comes to donated vaccines being used first before those that make money for the end user are very transparent don't you think.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1394529533714255876

Of the 2,473 new cases that were found in the past 24 hours:

- 1,423 were found via tests at medical facilities

- 347 via proactive tests at clusters

- 680 via proactive tests at prisons

- 23 in quarantine facilities

- 35 fatalities (new high)

• Like 1

Out of the 1,770 local cases, most in:

Bangkok - 873

Nonthaburi - 155

Samut Prakan - 121

Pathum Thani - 117

Samut Sakhon - 63

Phetchaburi - 43

Chonburi - 33

Nakhon Si Thammarat - 30

Songkhla - 29

Ayutthaya - 28

#Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1394530718299033606

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Well something smells here. There are many clusters around BKK and only 680 positive prisoners. Yesterday in the top 10 new infections globally today no where near it. Interesting. Maybe I'm just being a bit of a cynic. Can't think why.

have to agree, sounds like complete BS

• Thanks 1

A government spokesman said Tuesday that the nation's Corrections Department  has committed to providing COVID vaccinations to its entire inmate population, and conducting ongoing COVID tests of inmates and staff every seven days moving forward. The department also says it plans to separate inmates at high risk for COVID serious illness from the main prison populations.

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Don't worry they are truly keeping a lid on it that's why we don't know what's going on in regards to the waves here in Thailand who rank 104th for transparency and corruption, which is about the only number I have any faith in.

200 countries.

So about average.

Bangkok has now overtaken New Delhi in Maharashtra State where the current wave in India started.  Infections have been declining in Maharashtra but are still mushrooming in the rural areas of India.  Shape of things to come in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A government spokesman said Tuesday that the nation's Corrections Department  has committed to providing COVID vaccinations to its entire inmate population, and conducting ongoing COVID tests of inmates and staff every seven days moving forward. The department also says it plans to separate inmates at high risk for COVID serious illness from the main prison populations.

does that mean they have stopped testing in prisons and are just going for vaccination - seems like it to me

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

yesterday was a single day high case record for Bangkok... Today the number is almost half less... Have to wonder how.... why?

- Test could be running out

- Bad administration as before (like how all the cases from prisons got counted on one day)

- I would say most likely a combination of incompetence and willful suppression of numbers. 

Quite possible there will be more cases again tomorrow. 

• Like 1

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-covid-19-measures-for-simummuang-market-vendors-imposed-this-week/

New COVID-19 measures for Simummuang market vendors imposed this week

Thailand’s largest fruit and vegetable market, Simummuang, located in Pathum Thani province, has imposed new restrictions on its traders and workers, effective today for seasoned and imported vegetable sections, and this Friday (May 21st) for the rest of the market, according to the market’s Facebook page.

The new measures require Thai nationals to show their ID cards and foreign migrant workers to show their passports, as well as a COVID19-free health certificate, issued after May 7th. Blood test certificates, or tests conducted before May 7th, are not accepted.

These restrictions are not being applied to customers, who are free to enter the market around the clock, provided that they wear face masks all the time, wash their hands with sanitation gel and maintain strict social distancing.

11 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

Huge day/day drop in Bangkok -- that's excellent

Weekend testing numbers unfortunately.  This happens pretty much every Monday and Tuesday.  Yesterday's anomaly was the prison cases. However deaths are not an anomaly due to tge Weekend testing 

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

yesterday was a single day high case record for Bangkok... Today the number is almost half less... Have to wonder how.... why?

Apple Mobility Trends for Bangkok shows a continued decline in mobility, with driving down 61% from baseline and even walking down 72% ( https://covid19.apple.com/mobility ).  Eventually, trends like these are certain to reduce or at least contain virus transmission and therefore virus production.  But I agree that it's still too early to say whether this is actually happening right now in BKK or else, instead, the government is concealing the real case numbers.

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

I received an e mail today to say that international schools are allowed to open in Phuket. Not sure if that will apply to Thai schools or if Thai schools are on normal holidays anyway.

That would be great.  But no sign of my kid's international school in Bangkok opening before 1 June.  I had thought the closure ruling was from the MOE and applied to all schools in Thailand.  

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

they are already on the main news site

You may find the odd reports I post are already on the main news site, but the majority aren't.

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Well that's good, if it happens, so I assume then that those over 59 are considered of no use to the nation and may just as well die considering they are in the most "at risk" age category.

The older group was already included as being eligible for vaccinations in the first phase of vaccinations, along with other various high priority target groups.  Now they're broadening it out to the general public.

But the announcement above specifically relates to Thai nationals... It's not at all clear as yet that the offer being talked about includes foreigners,  at least, not yet.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That would be great.  But no sign of my kid's international school in Bangkok opening before 1 June.  I had thought the closure ruling was from the MOE and applied to all schools in Thailand.  

The say “an announcement from the Phuket Governor’s office” so maybe it’s a provincial discretionary decision. Government figures recorded 6 new COVID cases over the last two days in Phuket.

• Like 2

More:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/country-reopening-the-only-hope-for-bangkoks-chatuchak-market-vendors/

Country reopening the ‘only hope’ for Bangkok’s Chatuchak market vendors

Most vendors at Bangkok’s Chatuchak market are hoping that the Thai government will reopen the country as soon as possible and allow foreign tourists in again, to help revive their businesses, saying it is their “only hope.”

According to the vendors, half of the famed market’s customers are usually foreigners, especially tourists.

One shoe vendor at the market told Thai PBS that they will close their shop for the next three weeks, because there are no customers.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The older group was already included as being eligible for vaccinations in the first phase of vaccinations, along with other various high priority target groups.  Now they're broadening it out to the general public.

But the announcement above specifically relates to Thai nationals... It's not at all clear as yet that the offer being talked about includes foreigners,  at least, not yet.

As I posted earlier, the age range is huge. Even the UK with its developed mass vaccination drive has only just started working on the 30 to 40 year olds. Thailand hasn’t even started is mass vaccinations yet and they seem to be just opening it up to everybody!

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

I received an e mail today to say that international schools are allowed to open in Phuket. Not sure if that will apply to Thai schools or if Thai schools are on normal holidays anyway.

Interesting what school? My daughter goes to an international school in Phuket but I've got no email yet? You can PM me if better.

More:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27635/thais-increasingly-wary-of-covid-vaccines-study-finds/

Thais increasingly wary of Covid vaccines, study finds

The willingness of Thai citizens to be inoculated against Covid-19 has dropped in 2021 despite data showing that the risks are small, and outweighed by the benefits of protection against the potentially fatal virus.

The opposition blamed the lack of public trust on the government’s miscommunication.

According to YouGov, an international research data and analytics group, the percentage of Thai people willing to take the vaccine dropped from 83 per cent in January to 63 per cent in May.

you-gov.jpg

18 minutes ago, smedly said:

does that mean they have stopped testing in prisons and are just going for vaccination - seems like it to me

They indicated, as I repeated, that they're going to be testing every 7 days for the time being. Given the size of the national prisons population, and new people constantly coming in, it's going to take some time I suspect to get everyone vaccinated who needs or wants to be. (I didn't hear any indication, one way or the other, of whether the inmates will have any choice in the matter).