Thailand reports daily record of 35 new COVID-19 deaths, 2,473 cases

webfact

42 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

If it follows the same pattern as India, it will spread from Bangkok to the countryside with cases falling in Bangkok and growing in other regions and the countryside.  But let's hope it doesn't.

India has great population density even in its rural villages.

Thailand does not. Makes a huge difference.

There has been an increase in cases outside Bangkok in the wake of the Songkran travel and far more provinces with  cases than before. But the numbers are modest. Many of the provincial cases have either been in cities or been linked to plantations, factories and the like - environments were people live & work close together.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

India has great population density even in its rural villages.

Thailand does not. Makes a huge difference.

There has been an increase in cases outside Bangkok in the wake of the Songkran travel and far more provinces with  cases than before. But the numbers are modest. Many of the provincial cases have either been in cities or been linked to plantations, factories and the like - environments were people live & work close together.

You mean as reported by those in charge of the country?Like when there was no infections in the prisons and then suddenly there's lots, kind of like that?How would one know if the numbers are modest or not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sudarat urges Prayut to check out Covid cluster in Govt House neighbourhood

The prime minister should visit the Ban Manangkhasila community in the neighbourhood of Government House where 70 residents recently tested positive for Covid-19, former Pheu Thai Party executive Sudarat Keyuraphan said on her Facebook page.

The veteran politician, who recently set up the Thai Sang Thai Party, said: “Today my team and I visited over 200 households in the community to deliver food and supplies.

“I learned that some 30 families have been forced to isolate themselves as they were in close contact with the 70 confirmed patients,” she said

More:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001021

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Average what?Points scored during survey?Or halfway between 180 which is 90 on the list which is as anyone can see makes Thailand below average.Sorry but I fail to see how that's and alternative fact by the way is transparenct.org's facts not Bkk Brian's fact anyway.So a bit of a low blow there Rob of The Real facts.

Real facts have never stopped jocks yet from twisting anything to their way of thinking

• Haha 1

The AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is currently being administered to the elderly in Thailand, and no adverse reactions were reported in most recipients. A large batch of the AstraZeneca vaccine will be available for young adults. According to studies, they may experience fever, body aches or swelling and redness around the injection. These effects will disappear in 24 hours.

Head of the Center of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Prof. Dr. Yong Poovorawan, provided information about administering the AstraZeneca vaccine to young adults, who are more susceptible to adverse reactions than the elderly.

Prof. Dr. Yong said that everyone must understand that working-age adults are more likely to experience fever or body aches than the elderly, after receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine.

May be an image of text that says "NBT WORLD Young adults more likely to experience side effects after receiving AstraZeneca shot COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS VACCINE COVID- CORONAVIRU VACCINE COVID- CORONAVR VACCINE COM Astraz Zeneca UNIVERSITYOF OXFORD"

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158023610347050

Edited by anchadian

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Testing in prisons is done en masse and announces likewise. So large blips are to be expected. Fiollowed by smaller ones as they do contact tracing on prison staff etc.

They said they've been testing "en mass" in prisons since April 1st, and we only get the results about 15th May which is about 6 weeks that they have been holding prison numbers back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

my biggest concern is whether they are being over optimistic about the ability of SB to deliver AZ, particularly in the early months, and also whether the same finite amount of supply has been promised to more than one province. But that won’t be apparent till the time comes, so wait and see I guess.

Edited 5 hours ago by wensiensheng

My main concern with SB, is not only how many doses will actually be produced in the early stages of Manufacture, but also how many of those doses produced will be destined for Export the the other Countries in SE Asia

The new SB facility in Thailand is for production of Vaccine for all of the SE Asia Nations, and any agreement that SB have with AZ will include some kind of contractual agreement over Export Quantities for sure.

Maybe the Export  percentage of produced Vaccines could be as high as 75 %, which is going to leave Thailand well short of  Vaccines needed.

• Like 1

Only a few Baht per inmate for COVID-19 prevention in prisons, says former Transport Minister

Former Transport Minister Dr. Chadchart Sittipunt has highlighted the fact that only a small COVID-19 prevention budget, 750,000 Baht, has been allocated to cover all prisons nationwide. This averages out to only a few Baht per inmate, at a time when more than 11,000 inmates have tested positive for the virus.

In his Facebook post yesterday, Dr. Chadchart included a link to a Corrections Department document, dated May 11th and signed by Director-General Ayut Sinthopphan, which granted this amount to protect all 142 prisons nationwide, to procure and provide surgical masks, sanitizer gel, disposable gloves, personal protective equipment (PPE), infrared thermometers, 70% Ethyl Alcohol and cleaning sprays.

According to Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin, there are about 310,000 inmates in prisons across the country. Dr. Chadchart then calculated that only an average of 2.41 Baht per inmate is provided to fight COVID-19.

More:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/only-a-few-baht-per-inmate-for-covid-19-prevention-in-prisons-says-former-transport-minister/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Weekend testing numbers unfortunately.  This happens pretty much every Monday and Tuesday.  Yesterday's anomaly was the prison cases. However deaths are not an anomaly due to tge Weekend testing 

Yeah maybe they bist off coz people die in weekend also! Cant move that number to other day !

24 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Average what?Points scored during survey?Or halfway between 180 which is 90 on the list which is as anyone can see makes Thailand below average.Sorry but I fail to see how that's and alternative fact by the way is transparenct.org's facts not Bkk Brian's fact anyway.So a bit of a low blow there Rob of The Real facts.

The doom tribe is at it again. Maths not being a strong point of these coves, so let me introduce per capita.

Are any of you able to review the data on that basis or are you happy to compare Thailand with say Norway? By any means, with 1623 cases and 9 deaths per million Thailand's performance is outstanding, certainly in top 10%. Deaths per mill still less than Australia and a tiny fraction of UK (65,291 cases and 1872 deaths per million).

Get a grip guys and when you're ready, why not give me your best estimates for daily case numbers in Thailand by the end of June. Be good for a laugh and see your continued doom forecasts fail again.

Edited by Donga
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Dr. Chadchart Sittipunt has highlighted the fact that only a small COVID-19 prevention budget, 750,000 Baht, has been allocated to cover all prisons nationwide.

Get that defense budget transferred immediately!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

I find it strange that a drop in 16 ICU beds is spun as positive in the post and can't believe its true. If 35 died then surely the ICU bed take-up has actually gone up by 19......

Something like that but maybe all who pass away wasent in ICU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

yesterday was a single day high case record for Bangkok... Today the number is almost half less... Have to wonder how.... why?

Happen every province! Like Khon Kaen, some day has over 20 and like today zero case! Only in Thailand has own kind "jumping" pandemic!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Only a few Baht per inmate for COVID-19 prevention in prisons, says former Transport Minister

Former Transport Minister Dr. Chadchart Sittipunt has highlighted the fact that only a small COVID-19 prevention budget, 750,000 Baht, has been allocated to cover all prisons nationwide. This averages out to only a few Baht per inmate, at a time when more than 11,000 inmates have tested positive for the virus.

In his Facebook post yesterday, Dr. Chadchart included a link to a Corrections Department document, dated May 11th and signed by Director-General Ayut Sinthopphan, which granted this amount to protect all 142 prisons nationwide, to procure and provide surgical masks, sanitizer gel, disposable gloves, personal protective equipment (PPE), infrared thermometers, 70% Ethyl Alcohol and cleaning sprays.

According to Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin, there are about 310,000 inmates in prisons across the country. Dr. Chadchart then calculated that only an average of 2.41 Baht per inmate is provided to fight COVID-19.

More:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/only-a-few-baht-per-inmate-for-covid-19-prevention-in-prisons-says-former-transport-minister/

About as much as was dedicated to food for the students at school.  Looking good in someone's pocket and offshore accounts I would garner to wager.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Donga said:

The doom tribe is at it again. Maths not being a strong point of these coves, so let me introduce per capita.

Are any of you able to review the data on that basis or are you happy to compare Thailand with say Norway? By any means, with 1623 cases and 9 deaths per million Thailand's performance is outstanding, certainly in top 10%. Deaths per mill still less than Australia and a tiny fraction of UK (65,291 cases and 1872 deaths per million).

Get a grip guys and when you're ready, why not give me your best estimates for daily case numbers in Thailand by the end of June. Be good for a laugh and see your continued doom forecasts fail again.

Where's the doom and gloom, only hundreds of deaths and 84K+ positive cases since 1st April. Not counting the guys who have suffered in the prisons who are currently over 10,000.

All extremely happy happy here have you not noticed........cheer up and stop complaining!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, anchadian said:

More:

I prefer my 70% Ethyl Alcohol with coke!

A further adverse report from Pattaya.  

Twenty people arrested at a Pattaya restaurant over allegedly selling and drinking alcohol

Twenty people have been arrested last night (May 17th) at a restaurant in Pattaya for allegedly selling and drinking alcohol inside the venue, on the first day after Covid-19 restrictions were lifted in Chonburi which allowed dine-in at local restaurants after a two-week closure.

More:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/18/twenty-people-arrested-at-a-pattaya-restaurant-over-allegedly-selling-and-drinking-alcohol/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I think that is limited to the real "hot spots".  In most of the country they are only registering the over elderly and high risk.

Where there is an uncontrolled outbreak, like there is in the Bangkok slums, going in with mass vaccination for everyone is the only recourse.  But these are specific places. They did the same before in Samut Sakhon.

Could well be, and I don’t read thai so can’t be exactly sure of what the poster/leaflet says. But looking at what I assume to be a rough translation by tallguy, I don’t see anything to suggest it’s specific to a particular hotspot.

of course, it says from 31st May, so a couple of weeks to go yet. Maybe they think over 60’s will be done by then

“Starting from 31st May, people aged between 18-59 will be able to book vaccination appointments by using the Mor Prom app, LINE chat, or at their local hospitals #ThaiNewsReports #Thailand”

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Agree. Let's hope they actually put all the numbers together from all of the days and from all the jails and don't somehow forget a few a thousand or 10. One still wonders how many never made the numbers before the cover up (and that's what is was) was exposed. How many pnuemonia deaths in prisons in the last year. That would be a great figure to see but probably can't. Eventually you would hope the all the lies will be exposed but with this country's history of military govts and coups I doubt it very much.

By the way Thailand came in number 8 in the world with new infections on yesterday's covid worldometer. I really, really want some one to defend this and say Thailand is doing a great job.

Thailand came in number 8 yesterday with new infections on the covid worldometer. This is a comparison chart and bears no relation to how Thailand is or isn't performing in it's fight against covid. For various reasons, 1st, 2nd, 3rd waves have come and gone through countries at different times so a minute by minute global comparison does not tell me too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Real facts have never stopped jocks yet from twisting anything to their way of thinking

I'm of the ilk of never let the truth get in the way of good story and we're all telling some pretty good stories and history will be the judge of those stories.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Agree. Let's hope they actually put all the numbers together from all of the days and from all the jails and don't somehow forget a few a thousand or 10. One still wonders how many never made the numbers before the cover up (and that's what is was) was exposed. How many pnuemonia deaths in prisons in the last year. That would be a great figure to see but probably can't. Eventually you would hope the all the lies will be exposed but with this country's history of military govts and coups I doubt it very much.

By the way Thailand came in number 8 in the world with new infections on yesterday's covid worldometer. I really, really want some one to defend this and say Thailand is doing a great job.

33 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Thailand came in number 8 yesterday with new infections on the covid worldometer. This is a comparison chart and bears no relation to how Thailand is or isn't performing in it's fight against covid. For various reasons, 1st, 2nd, 3rd waves have come and gone through countries at different times so a minute by minute global comparison does not tell me too much.

It is very difficult to reason with folk challenged by data, Rhacysn. 

Thailand get hits with an outbreak (fatigue out of Bangkok a big factor) and we hear:
1. Covid was always around, Thais just lie about the reporting
2. They don't do enough testing, so how can they know the true number of cases - love that one
3. It's going to get much worse, aaahhh

Instead of recognising:
1. Thailand has been singled out by John Hopkins University and the WHO for their outstanding performance
2. The cases and deaths per mill are minuscule compared to most countries, particularly Europe and Americas https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

What's more, these folk can't understand why this would be!

Here's a few reasons:
** tight quarantine processes, I'm in there now - compared to so many countries especially UK and US
** effective contact tracing, never really lost control, despite latest prison clusters
** adoption of face masks from the onset - despite some moron farangs' objections
** general community discipline - compared to the West in any case
** one million health volunteers - my partner was one, and now an older sister is one of ten in their village - so effective in keeping Covid under control outside of the Greater Bangkok provinces.

If they compare these factors with most countries, they might be able to accept Thailand knows how to deal with pandemics.

Edited by Donga
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Donga said:

Care to name those in the "doom tribe" so they can defend themselves in the open against hints and allegations?Otherwise we don't know of whom you are asking the question.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Donga said:

It is very difficult to reason with folk challenged by data, Rhacysn. 

Thailand get hits with an outbreak (fatigue out of Bangkok a big factor) and we hear:
1. Covid was always around, Thais just lie about the reporting
2. They don't do enough testing, so how can they know the true number of cases - love that one
3. It's going to get much worse, aaahhh

Instead of recognising:
1. Thailand has been singled out by John Hopkins University and the WHO for their outstanding performance
2. The cases and deaths per mill are minuscule compared to most countries, particularly Europe and Americas https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

What's more, these folk can't understand why this would be!

Here's a few reasons:
** tight quarantine processes, I'm in there now - compared to so many countries especially UK and US
** effective contact tracing, never really lost control, despite latest prison clusters
** adoption of face masks from the onset - despite some moron farangs' objections
** general community discipline - compared to the West in any case
** one million health volunteers - my partner was one, and now an older sister is one of ten in their village - so effective in keeping Covid under control outside of the Greater Bangkok provinces.

If they compare these factors with most countries, they might be able to accept Thailand knows how to deal with pandemics.

You've made some good points however this is a new ball game they've never before dealt with the UK strain before this.

WHO by the way have already advised them that this time it will be far more challenging for them.

"In Thailand, as in most affected countries, controlling spread of this variant will be much more challenging than controlling the spread of previous strains, which Ministry of Public Health has done so successfully."

https://twitter.com/WHOThailand/status/1380792414764474370

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2