Thailand reports daily record of 35 new COVID-19 deaths, 2,473 cases

webfact

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

More mixed messaging/signals re foreigner vaccines from the government, May, June, August??

It is very disturbing.... simply registering has been moved out for foreigners, 3 months from now. And we see here in the region, turning up, even for an elderly Thai, is a wasted journey.... the 30,000, 20,000 (reduced) vaccines supposedly available,  never made it. Very likely we will be shunted along and our best hope ... err I am at a loss to end this sentence. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Could well be, and I don’t read thai so can’t be exactly sure of what the poster/leaflet says. But looking at what I assume to be a rough translation by tallguy, I don’t see anything to suggest it’s specific to a particular hotspot.

of course, it says from 31st May, so a couple of weeks to go yet. Maybe they think over 60’s will be done by then

“Starting from 31st May, people aged between 18-59 will be able to book vaccination appointments by using the Mor Prom app, LINE chat, or at their local hospitals #ThaiNewsReports #Thailand”

yes, the plan is to open registration for Phase III in June for vaccination to start o/a July-August. The high risk group (Phase II) was registered this month, May, and is to vaccinate in June- July. There may be some overlap in July between the 2 groups. By August onward should be open to all adults.

All this is assuming the expected vaccine arrives on time, of ocurse

48 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Thailand came in number 8 yesterday with new infections on the covid worldometer. This is a comparison chart and bears no relation to how Thailand is or isn't performing in it's fight against covid. For various reasons, 1st, 2nd, 3rd waves have come and gone through countries at different times so a minute by minute global comparison does not tell me too much.

Well let's put it this way. Thailand was below Australia now Australia is below Thailand by a lot. Australia seems to have it under control and Thailand doesn't. How's that for a comparison.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The 35 new COVID deaths announced Tuesday by the government set a daily record high for Thailand, even as the number of general population new cases (1,793) marked its lowest level in the past nine days.

The prior daily high for COVID deaths in Thailand was 34 reached on May 12. The last time Thailand had a lower general population COVID cases tally was 1,630 reached on May 10.

The 680 new prison cases Tuesday brought the total number of prison COVID cases reported by the government in the past week to 11,428.

In a piece of good news, total COVID hospitalizations, critical condition cases and patients requiring ventilators (shown in the light blue box below) all declined in Tuesday's report, accelerating a trend of recent days. The total COVID hospitalized population declined by 280 patients to 42,988. The number of those patients in critical condition dropped by 76 to 1,150, and the share of those on ventilators dropped by 16 to 384.

Screenshot_5.jpg.842cd4367d8b87333112b5f660b19314.jpg

05-21-21d.jpg.f5b600089516564b80695e6c3738c828.jpg

Thailand breaks its highest-ever single-day COVID-19 death toll on Tuesday with 35 new fatalities. A total of 2,473 new confirmed cases were found in the past 24 hours, bringing the total tally to 113,555. Today's figure includes 680 cases found in prisons.

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/4330279083657657

As happened in the USA ...deaths always lagged behind a few weeks from the 2000+ cases daily.  Hopefully that number will decline.

31 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You've made some good points however this is a new ball game they've never before dealt with the UK strain before this.

WHO by the way have already advised them that this time it will be far more challenging for them.

"In Thailand, as in most affected countries, controlling spread of this variant will be much more challenging than controlling the spread of previous strains, which Ministry of Public Health has done so successfully."

https://twitter.com/WHOThailand/status/1380792414764474370

Believe the potency of UK strain is overstated, see below, but might be proven wrong.

In any case, Covid is now much under control outside of Greater Bangkok provinces and those prisons. I'm hopeful Thai processes and community discipline will reign it in as previously.

Startling observation for me today. Not seen mentioned in the media, which continues to harp, especially in Australia, (e.g Morrison yesterday - Covid "raging and morphing overseas") is that worldwide Covid daily cases have fallen 40% in the past few weeks. From their high of 904,000 per day in late April to 535,000 yesterday and 565,000 the day before. Why are we not hearing this?

The decrease in India is helping but if you scroll through the various countries' data, it is hard to find those few (Thailand and South Korea in that lot) where the daily cases are not dropping... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Worldwide cases.jpg

Edited by Donga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

My main concern with SB, is not only how many doses will actually be produced in the early stages of Manufacture, but also how many of those doses produced will be destined for Export the the other Countries in SE Asia

The new SB facility in Thailand is for production of Vaccine for all of the SE Asia Nations, and any agreement that SB have with AZ will include some kind of contractual agreement over Export Quantities for sure.

Maybe the Export  percentage of produced Vaccines could be as high as 75 %, which is going to leave Thailand well short of  Vaccines needed.

According to Thanatorn, Thailand gets 26million and Export is 176million from 200million manufactured in the next 12 months (yes, I know the math doesn't work, but I am quoting exact numbers).

...so it's 87% destined for export.

I have been critical of SB since the contract was signed in November last year, and whilst I think they will likely ship something in June/July, I doubt it will be the 10million per month (although 200million / 12 = 16million per month) they have promised.

I really hope I am wrong.

• Confused 1

Mrs. just get information that schools not open 1 June. Now new time is 14 June. 

And how they open its up to every province. Mean study from home or in school. Goverment schools!

Edited by 2 is 1

6 minutes ago, Donga said:

Believe the potency of UK strain is overstated, see below, but might be proven wrong.

In any case, Covid is now much under control outside of Greater Bangkok provinces and those prisons. I'm hopeful the Thai processes and community discipline will reign it in as previously.

One startling revelation for me today, which I've not seen mentioned in the Western media which continues to harp, especially in Australia, e.g Morrison yesterday - Covid "raging and morphing overseas" is that worldwide Covid daily cases have fallen 40% in the past few weeks. From their high of 904,000 in late April to 535,000 yesterday and 565,000 the day before. Why are we not hearing this?

The decrease in India is helping but if you scroll through the various countries' data, it is hard to find those few (Thailand and South Korea in that lot) where the daily cases are not dropping... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The UK strain is scientifically proven to be far more contagious so any risk assessment should be squarely based on that. 

You're right the world numbers are declining thankfully and thats a fair point that India has an impact on. As will be the UK after its harsh lockdowns and vaccine roll outs which eventually curbed the UK variant, the US and other large nations.

Thailand is not doing mass vaccinations yet so until it is then the virus is able to spread at will. With Bangkok out of control the other provinces which have been able to contain the virus could also be susceptible to people traveling from Bangkok. We only need a few cases to start it up again in any province, with the lack of more testing this is even more significant.

I think the health workers here do an excellent job, my concern is with the politics getting in the way of health advice.

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1394604735290699779

UPDATED: In Phuket, health officials just reported some good news. Only 2 new cases will be added to the national tally tomorrow. Also, out of the original 610 patients, only 140 remain in care. They are on course for zero new infections #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Donga said:

In any case, Covid is now much under control outside of Greater Bangkok provinces and those prisons. I'm hopeful Thai processes and community discipline will reign it in as previously.

Startling observation for me today. Not seen mentioned in the media, which continues to harp, especially in Australia, (e.g Morrison yesterday - Covid "raging and morphing overseas") is that worldwide Covid daily cases have fallen 40% in the past few weeks. From their high of 904,000 per day in late April to 535,000 yesterday and 565,000 the day before. Why are we not hearing this?

Worldwide cases.jpg

Found this snippet on India, although cases decreasing WHO say numbers not reliable due to lack of testing in rural areas where they think the numbers are growing. No test, not know but to Modi it looks like they are getting on top of it.

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/indias-virus-cases-lower-who-expert-says-positive-tests-ominously-high-2021-05-17/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zhounan said:

No information about deaths?

If you're referring to today's 1,408 prison cases, there is no mention of deaths.

36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

yes, the plan is to open registration for Phase III in June for vaccination to start o/a July-August. The high risk group (Phase II) was registered this month, May, and is to vaccinate in June- July. There may be some overlap in July between the 2 groups. By August onward should be open to all adults.

All this is assuming the expected vaccine arrives on time, of ocurse

Gotcha. I still feel the 18 to 50 is a very wide age range. The UK has done it differently, working its way down the ages, I’m not sure about other countries. But 18 to 50 is basically every adult under 60. 

It’s the health authorities call of course and I guess it removes any confusion over who is eligible ????

13 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1394604735290699779

UPDATED: In Phuket, health officials just reported some good news. Only 2 new cases will be added to the national tally tomorrow. Also, out of the original 610 patients, only 140 remain in care. They are on course for zero new infections #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

Just in time for the July 1st Sandbox rollout.  Excellent said Bill to Ted.

Image result for bill and ted excellent adventure

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

Found this snippet on India, although cases decreasing WHO say numbers not reliable due to lack of testing in rural areas where they think the numbers are growing. No test, not know but to Modi it looks like they are getting on top of it.

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/indias-virus-cases-lower-who-expert-says-positive-tests-ominously-high-2021-05-17/

Many countries' numbers are not going to be accurate - nature of the beast even with best intentions.

However, they're useful for trends and I can see why the numbers would be falling. Firstly in Europe, USA which were generally the hardest hit per capita, and now much of the world. The Latinos are still doing it tough, but at least seem to have peaked.

Vaccine roll outs can't come soon enough.

Edited by Donga
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

No problem. It’s BCIS at Chalong.

4BF96BF6-592E-47B3-86D8-9F01A1EE335F.png

Ok just got my email notification too. Headstart goes back on the 24th also. Amazing Thailand, we're not allowed to have a friend or two come to visit but the schools are going back...LOL

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well let's put it this way. Thailand was below Australia now Australia is below Thailand by a lot. Australia seems to have it under control and Thailand doesn't. How's that for a comparison.

Thailand was below Australia in August 2020 when Australia had it's last major wave of infections. That wave was brought under control by the end of September 2020 and realistically has been since. Australia did a great job Thailand is in the midst of a third wave and I would therefore expect it to be higher than Australia. That is my point and why I dislike a minute by minute current new infections global comparison chart. Your other posts focus on your understanding of events in Thailand and help to contribute to my education

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ok just got my email notification too. Headstart goes back on the 24th also. Amazing Thailand, we're not allowed to have a friend or two come to visit but the schools are going back...LOL

Ah well, the essential factor is that there is no alcohol at schools, so Covid isn’t a problem there ????

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just in time for the July 1st Sandbox rollout.  Excellent said Bill to Ted.

Image result for bill and ted excellent adventure

Helloooo ThailandRyan,

Accepted that your post is tongue in cheek but "sandpit" asside it may, just may be a tiny glimmer of sunshine for a very small part of Thailand, especially with beds being freed up. At the moment, I will accept any apparent good news ???? ????

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Thailand was below Australia in August 2020 when Australia had it's last major wave of infections. That wave was brought under control by the end of September 2020 and realistically has been since. Australia did a great job Thailand is in the midst of a third wave and I would therefore expect it to be higher than Australia. That is my point and why I dislike a minute by minute current new infections global comparison chart. Your other posts focus on your understanding of events in Thailand and help to contribute to my education

It's not minute by minute and it gives you an overall idea of what's going on now, especially the weelky trends. What it shows in regards to Thailand is that Thailand is not going so well compared to some other countries. UK/Thailand comparison has been brought up on this forum. UK doing very bad before now doing better than Thailand. UK is also interesting as they are easing restrictions at the very time the Indian variant has been detected there. The global debate about the dangers of opening up too early. Glad to hear my other posts help contribute to your education on this matter. Cheers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DLock said:

"Did". Past tense.

Screen Shot 2564-05-18 at 10.19.21 AM.png

Hmm, cherry picking today?

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Amazing isn't it, only 2 days ago they said they were set to open all schools on the 17th May even in red zones which would have been a disaster of course. Now the suddenly see their error. Are they actually starting to take notice of their health experts or did basic commonsense suddenly touch them?

I think this IS called changing your mind.  PRAGMATIC humans adjust when needed.  Also, how are you so sure about the dissaster that would have ensued when schools opened?

8 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

As happened in the USA ...deaths always lagged behind a few weeks from the 2000+ cases daily.  Hopefully that number will decline.

So what's going to happen a few weeks after they reported 9600 cases?Will we see about 192 deaths?

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1394598960694657027

UPDATE: The Department of Corrections has just announced that there are now 11,670 inmates infected with #COVID19 in 13 prisons. Today, an additional 1,408 cases were added #Thailand

Are we supposed to believe the remaining 130 prisons are Covid free?

Add a zero to that Covid number, shall we?

5 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

I find it strange that a drop in 16 ICU beds is spun as positive in the post and can't believe its true. If 35 died then surely the ICU bed take-up has actually gone up by 19......

Exactly. 

Please go and check out the hospital in your locality to see what the bed occupancy rate is.   

If enough TV members around the country do this, then we may be able to get an accurate reading on the situation, week to week. 

Please pass the word.

• Confused 1