Anyone "on the ground", Phuket Sandbox scheme

Felt 35

US friend ready to go first week of July with all documentations and fully vaccinated and only in need of a confirmed hotel booking. Previously lived in Phuket so he already have in mind where to stay....but have the local Government said "go gates open" and are hotels, condos, ready for customers and bookings and the people in hotel business/accommodation rentals informed and ready to welcome tourist from overseas?

Thanks

Felt

Not as yet.   The local vaccination milestone (70% of population) hasn't been reached, and new cases are still being detected every day (though numbers dropping).   Domestic tourism has dried up in this latest wave of infections so accommodation availability is again unknown.   With so many businesses being closed either temporarily or gone forever, probably best to choose an area that at least has a significant resident expat population thus ensuring that some facilities at least would be open.

• Like 1

From what I've seen and heard, many businesses that have been closed during much of the pandemic are not going to open on July 1st in anticipation of the rush trickle of travellers that may or may not arrive. So definitely follow Pagallim's advice.

Thanks for the replies. Accommodation is already in box pr. today (no prepayment needed)....but when the landlord mentioned that they was ready but not so sure if he could enter Thailand my eyebrows raise and got me to check this https://thaiembdc.org/2021/04/29/regulatory-updates-on-the-quarantine-period-for-travelers-entering-thailand-since-1-may-2021/ and I should be but are not surprised that the "Sandbox" package not are mentioned there at all, Phuket are after all a separate Country in the Kingdom???? Well will inform my friend and then he will have to take it from there and most likely start over again. I know he can change his flights but for sure he will be disappointed.

Felt.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, how can your friend have "all documentations" when the requirements haven't been defined yet ?  In theory, if there will be no quarantine requirement, there will be no hotel confirmation requirement.

If/when the sandbox model comes about, the embassy in home country will have more information than expats living in Phuket.

At the moment, you cant enter Phuket without a vaccine or test, the only hotels open are mostly ASQ hotels, and until the requirements are announced, the local hotels know as much as you know.

Edit.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

govt position was clear upon original 1 July opening notice.

nobody should be “waiting” for further subject govt notices

most people comingwould have already made their plans by now

You're joking, right?

• Like 1

It is not possible to apply for a quarantine free COE for travel to Phuket. The Royal Thai Consulate in Chicago told me two days ago that they they are awaiting official information from the Thai government. Other embassies have suggested they expect that in the first half of June.

There is a lot of speculation and airlines are now selling seats for direct flights to Phuket beginning July 1. But right now there is no official information about what will be required to get a COE and travel there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, habuspasha said:

"You are from New York, do i need to say more? No one would like to meet you."

Wow! I am so shocked at this antediluvian prejudice, I lost the ability to respond.  For that I apologize.  But I don't apologize for being, or for being from New York.

See the date when i mentioned it and that was also in another article, another time.

Go back tot hat time.

18 hours ago, habuspasha said:

I have booked changeable flight through Doha direct to Phuket mid-July, but can't book hotel until sure I don't need ASQ.

I booked the same mid July with Emirates via Dubai (it includes free Covid travel insurance btw) but they have just notified me that my flight has been cancelled so perhaps they are better informed than we are. ????

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

See the date when i mentioned it and that was also in another article, another time.

Go back tot hat time.

Sorry.  You're right.  I don't know how that fell into this topic.  We were scary then.

2 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

I booked the same mid July with Emirates via Dubai (it includes free Covid travel insurance btw) but they have just notified me that my flight has been cancelled so perhaps they are better informed than we are. ????

It is Qatar that flies through Doha and they haven't cancelled.  My guess is that Emirates and Qatar cancel some flights but only to trim their schedules.  I enjoyed a Qatar flight back from BKK last month.  The advantage of this one in July is that it goes straight to Phuket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Absolutely zero chance this takes off in a little over 2 months time.  Things change by the week in Thailand, don't book anything that isn't refundable.  

It’s a little over one months time. Refundable yes. Zero chance no

good lord, so thai govt has made no final decision re 1 July phuket sandbox yet..just five weeks away !

even if its a go by mid June, virtually nobody at this time would fly long haul for 1 July at such short notice ? unless flexible & nowhere else to go ? move expectations to 1 Oct ? yes, I am a intl rental pool villa owner in Phuket ! 

ready for business re- start..... with open but empty booking calendar.........

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PDP11 said:

I understand the skepticism for general tourism starting July 1 in Phuket. But, if this happens, it will be a dream for those fully vaccinated that would otherwise go through 15 nights ASQ in Bangkok (or the other usual spots in Thailand).

Who would dare book such a trip, as it's likely to be cancelled with no notice.

You'd lose your leave, and maybe your money.

Are the airlines even offering any flights?

Edited by BritManToo

18 minutes ago, PDP11 said:

Am I the only one thinking the entire volume of ASQ traffic will switch overnight from BKK to HKT (assuming you are fully vaccinated) on July 1?

I just changed my Qatar flight. Instead of landing in BKK, I'll be landing in HKT on July 2 - unless the sandbox doesn't happen and then I'll change it back to Bangkok where there are more ASQ options.  

Airlines are anticipating what you are suggesting. Beginning July 1 you can book almost daily flights directly to Phuket on Emirates, Qatar, Cathay Pacific, Malaysian, and Singapore Air. Obviously you would be wise to only book a fully flexible/changeable/cancellable flight. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Who would dare book such a trip, as it's likely to be cancelled with no notice.

You'd lose your leave, and maybe your money.

Are the airlines even offering any flights?

BritManToo, totally agree with you. My assumption was you needed to return to Thailand and go through ASQ. If you are on “leave” you wouldn’t consider Thailand at all. 

And yes, everything would need to be refundable. 

• Like 1