Anyone "on the ground", Phuket Sandbox scheme

Felt 35

Feels like a thai scene after a motobike crash....all of us slackjawed gawkers waiting and trying to crane our necks to see what will happen come July 1 ..

Id give it a go too as Im fully vaccinated-pfizer and in the states....but seems we are all standing at the gates waiting for the shoe to drop---can wait to see how many posts will be on the july 1 phuket thread

I emailed DC thai embassy and they had nothing, so that to me is a degree of commitment-YET to occur.....until then..I take it as hearsay as most of us have spent enough time in LOS to be a bit wary.

The also said that it would have to be a flight direct to phuket..not allowed to layover in BKK..no no

Im hoping it does happen and get the ball rolling but there is so much flip flopping its mind numbing..

So I raise my glass to those brave first souls that will arrive on covid island and the mystery that awaits

I sure would pay to watch a show that has 24 hrs there to livestream what is really about to go down

Meanwhile we still have 5 weeks to read the back n forth over this or yet watching it all implode...sigh

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PDP11 said:

I understand the skepticism for general tourism starting July 1 in Phuket. But, if this happens, it will be a dream for those fully vaccinated that would otherwise go through 15 nights ASQ in Bangkok (or the other usual spots in Thailand).

Behind door number one I have 15 nights in a Bangkok hotel with most of the furniture removed and plastic sheeting nailed to the floor. Cold rice with prik nam pla under your day 3x per day, no room cleaning, slow Internet. Behind door number two is the hotel of your choice in Phuket for (presumably) 7 nights, food that you pick, and a beach you can relax on. Additionally, if you have a Thai spouse / family, they can join you for a vacation day one.

Am I the only one thinking the entire volume of ASQ traffic will switch overnight from BKK to HKT (assuming you are fully vaccintated) on July 1?

PDP11? With 64KB RAM?  ????

In the light of what happened in Singapore and other places I think the Phuket "plan" may be pushed further and the dreaded 15 days ASQ stays for a while. In fact, I can't remember a single date for anything covid related here which went as planned.

I'm planning to go out in August and come back late October,  but I'm not sure now,  don't want another 15 days ASQ.

Well, Koh Samui are "opening up" on July 1st and they've announced their rules:

Will Phuket will be any different?

7 days quarantine in specially selected hotels ... doesn't seem much different to ASQ.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you're fully vaccinated, why would they insist on a direct flight?

cos thai logic ????

maybe I would try to escape into the gen population to infect them with my farang cooties

Ive seen a few direct flights nicely priced should the "plan" actually occur...

Embassy emailed me again-? today saying they still have no word about the phuket plan.....i didnt ask

9 hours ago, nkg said:

Well, Koh Samui are "opening up" on July 1st and they've announced their rules:

Will Phuket will be any different?

7 days quarantine in specially selected hotels ... doesn't seem much different to ASQ.

For Phuket entry without quarantine has been announced, consistently and for quite some time now.

They Key points for me are

1.       Ability to transit in BKK or DIRECT flights only

2.       What vaccines are on the approved list.

3.       Which hotels are in the Sandbox program, I’ve read only 9 at this moment are approved for sandbox scheme, you can’t (shouldn’t) book any other Hotel else just now.

1 hour ago, bolt said:

They Key points for me are

1.       Ability to transit in BKK or DIRECT flights only

2.       What vaccines are on the approved list.

3.       Which hotels are in the Sandbox program, I’ve read only 9 at this moment are approved for sandbox scheme, you can’t (shouldn’t) book any other Hotel else just now.

My friend booked direct with his choice of place (will add that he stayed there on long stays before so the owners know him) and due to uncertainty all over the world now he did not need to pay anything in advance. He transit from overseas through Singapore and are fully vaccinated with the Pfizer jabs and pr today he have not got any messages from any Thai authority included the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles that his trip need adjustment so it seems everything steaming the correct way, so far....

Felt 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

..he have not got any messages from any Thai authority included the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles that his trip need adjustment so it seems everything steaming the correct way, so far....

Felt 

The important thing is - does he have COE? Without COE he cannot enter Thailand, and to obtain it currently you need to book 14-day ASQ. Unless they officially change the rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

For Phuket entry without quarantine has been announced, consistently and for quite some time now.

And I hope that it happens. But the recent covid outbreak has given them a reason/excuse to change things around.

4 hours ago, Alldar said:

The important thing is - does he have COE? Without COE he cannot enter Thailand, and to obtain it currently you need to book 14-day ASQ. Unless they officially change the rules.

Fully Agree no COE No Entry, and to get an COE you MUST Show ASQ Approved accommodation booking, not your long time friends hotel 

I’ve completed 2 separate ASQ Quarantine, August last year and April this year, Phuket sandbox sounds perfect and similar if not cheaper for me, and the wife can come along also.

However

My local Embassy has no idea (yet)????????

4 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

My friend booked direct with his choice of place (will add that he stayed there on long stays before so the owners know him) and due to uncertainty all over the world now he did not need to pay anything in advance. He transit from overseas through Singapore and are fully vaccinated with the Pfizer jabs and pr today he have not got any messages from any Thai authority included the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles that his trip need adjustment so it seems everything steaming the correct way, so far....

Felt 

is your friend staying in Sandbox 7 day or regular 14 day ASQ?

when is he due to arrive ??

We have started a new group on phuket sandbox. Official information and info graphics from the TAT, Ministry of Tourism and Tourism Council of Thailand. Also contributing is hoteliers and agents who have been involved in the opening. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/388875605677294/

17 hours ago, Alldar said:

Yes he have COE. Travelling under the "the sandbox" is said to be exempted from quarantine but he have to be on Phuket island for first 7  days.

Felt

40 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Yes he have COE. Travelling under the "the sandbox" is said to be exempted from quarantine but he have to be on Phuket island for first 7  days.

Felt

If your friend has a CoE, that means he has booked a 14 day ASQ hotel, there is no other way to get a CoE at the moment,

Other than you quoting your friend, who has stated a 7 day stay in Phuket ???????

5 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Felt

COE is for 14 days, no other COE at this time, tell your friend to show you his COE

here are mine.

COE April 2021.jpg

COE Aug 2020.jpg

Edited by bolt

1 minute ago, zeitgenosse said:

Has anyone asked their embassy? Surely they must have an idea how to get an COE for a Phuket flight without a ASQ reservation?

In other threads people have reported their embassy as responding with "we don't know, no details have been released yet".

That's probably why responses on this thread are doubtful a COE has been issued.

• Like 1

Yesterday I was at Thai consulate to apply for a tourist visa and they told me that I will need insurance and ASQ + COE to enter. They didn't have any news about Phuket sandbox and said that I shouldn't count with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zeitgenosse said:

Were you at the Salzburg one, by any chance? I was hoping that they would have more information. ????

No I was at Bratislava, Slovakia. I will go there also next week and there are some rumours that more info will be published on 1st of June, so I will ask them again next week.

As of May 27th not one embassy will confirm anything about this Sandbox project.

I’m sure many people are working round the clock to get it ready for 1st July, but I’m guessing we will get the Royal Gazette June 28-29-30Th , and the Sandbox will officially start Monday 5th of July 00:01 hours

Anyone arriving in Phuket before that date will have to quarantine for 14 days in Room at ASQ hotels

so i'm going pre book the friday 9th July

Edited by bolt

1 hour ago, bolt said:

As of May 27th not one embassy will confirm anything about this Sandbox project.

I’m sure many people are working round the clock to get it ready for 1st July, but I’m guessing we will get the Royal Gazette June 28-29-30Th , and the Sandbox will officially start Monday 5th of July 00:01 hours

Anyone arriving in Phuket before that date will have to quarantine for 14 days in Room at ASQ hotels

so i'm going pre book the friday 9th July

Fair enough. An educated guess but I believe they will make an announcement next week so prolly wait till then Also no embassy will tell you anything until instructions to them. This is evident over the last 9 months 

Edited by stuarty

Fair enough. An educated guess but I believe they will make an announcement next week so prolly wait till then

I guess it depends on what you want to book. With flight ticket prices, I wouldn't be surprised if they increased strongly for July once the phuket sandbox is confirmed.

I'm a member of this travel groups FB page and they have been involved with the organisation for opening Phuket on July 1st and they made this statement 53 minutes ago;

IAsia Thailand updated the description.

yO9BVSOo4qE.png?_nc_eui2=AeHNU-_z5XgrdQ5
  · 53 m  · 

Phuket WILL open on the 1 July 2021. Come and join the group to learn the official news from people who are attending the meetings, local hoteliers living in Phuket and local businesses offering deals. Here you can ask your questions on your trip to Phuket.
I Asia Thailand is one of the largest Thailand DMC offering hotel accommodations, day tours and attractions, airport rides and RT-PCR tests in Phuket. Winner of Tripadvisor Choice Awards. Actively involved in the opening of Phuket.

On 5/26/2021 at 1:16 PM, bolt said:

Only Hotels that have the SHA (Safety and Health administration), Are allowed to receive Guests under the Phuket Sandbox Program.

Hopefully this will not be the case as i live on Phuket and it would be great that i could go home straight away, Not allowed to leave Phuket for 7 days is not a isue for me.

14 hours ago, Alldar said:

Yesterday I was at Thai consulate to apply for a tourist visa and they told me that I will need insurance and ASQ + COE to enter. They didn't have any news about Phuket sandbox and said that I shouldn't count with it.

Nobody knows yet what will happen as nothing is decided yet.

Till know there are only proposals and plans.

Until it is decided and published it is only guesswork from everybody.

• Like 1