Covid sniffer dogs set to be unleashed all over Bangkok - these "Labs" are 94% correct!

webfact

55 minutes ago, Upnotover said:
3 hours ago, webfact said:

Their target will be bedridden people who can't get out to have a test. 

So you can't stick a swab up the nose of someone in bed?

That's what I was wondering: if a handler with a dog can get to the bedside, why not a technician with a swab? This seems like a strange use-case for sniffer dogs.

1 hour ago, Freeduhdum said:

This is insanity!

I don't think it is insanity.

Dogs can be trained amongst other things, to detect bladder cancer in urine and lung cancer in peoples breath. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Why not put the sniffers outside the 711 like the soi dogs hanging around?  Nab em before they can get them snacks.

There has never ,and will never, be any cases reported at a 7/11, the people from CP have made very sure of that.

22 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

There has never ,and will never, be any cases reported at a 7/11, the people from CP have made very sure of that.

Are you saying money and power is important?  which would include all those Amazon cafe places and gas stations..........they are 10000000000% covid free, guaranteed.    what's the new thing coming?  ah...... i forget.  some new store near all the coffee places.  

I can see video tapes of many falangs in the same store.......with 100 doctors saying THIS was the moment covid came in 711.........plan B always works.  

i am sheep................poor sheep........react to news........go to TVF to respond.........thinking not programmed..........life too complex.........  ok now i go eat 20 baht noodle soup.........

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You need to be in quarantine to protect you from Covid lurking in any and all sois in Thailand. 

I never thought of that.  They are not protecting the public from me potentially infecting them.  They are protecting me from being infected by them.  Why then only the two week quarantine.  Perhaps we should suggest they quarantine all tourists for the duration of their visa?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Manager reported that the plan is the brainchild of Social Development and Human Security minister Chuti Krairiksh with help from volunteers and the vets at Chula. 

I guess he got his idea after seeing the exact same thing being done in lots of different places around the world last year.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Only in Thailand folks, Covid sniffing dogs while no one else in the world thought about it.. Go Thailand...

A number of countries are training and using sniffer dogs - UK, Finland, Italy, US, etc.  Search term: covid sniffer dogs

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The plan is to train 100 handlers so that the dogs can be used in 50 districts in the Thai capital"

The poor dogs are going to be knackered .......

regards worgeordie

Nah.  They'll have to hold 'em back at the barn when they run out of beds for the positive tests.

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The bad news - they could cost you 40,000 baht

They can have you dragged off the street to the field hospital - "Dr Kawalee Chatdarong said they are accurate to 94.8% and can sniff out asymptomatic individuals."

22 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

What could possibly go wrong?

Well sometimes the dogs are wrong? When i was working, there was a check with sniffer dogs for drugs.

Guess what, the dog identified my tool bag as having drugs in it. Wrong, first i was laughing, but some later didnt feel happy.

I was being watched by my colleges  as suspicious, marked by the dog. Though i was 57 or so at t at that time, ok also a 57 yo can use drugs. 

Maybe another college used my bag to stash? I dont know. It was an awkward situation for me.