DLT services re driving license still suspended?

Prominent on the Home-page of the DLT-website it is stated that

All Land Transport Offices have suspended

all services to driving license and transport personnel license

from March 31 st 2020

until the state of emergency is terminated or until there is any other announcement.

image.jpeg.674eccca7b6d21ca3b9221ebc7a36d26.jpeg

We are now almost 14 months later, so I wonder whether that is still correct, as I need to apply for a driving license in order to be in compliance with motorcycle-insurance.

= = = = =

The DLT website also contains the procedure to apply for a 2-year driving license.

That procedure is almost 5 years old, so also here I wonder whether the steps outlined are still valid.

Date 15 July 2559

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER TEMPORARY (TWO YEAR) DRIVING LICENSE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  2. 2
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)
  4. 4
    ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

PROCEDURE

IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED IN NO.4 - FULL STEP FOLLOWING
  1. 1
    CHECK THE DOCUMENTS
  2. 2
    PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM
  3. 3
    IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED IN NO.4 ->
    • * TAKE A TRAINING 1 HOURS
    • * TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A TRAINING 5 HOURS
    • TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A THEORY TEST
    • TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST
  4. 4
    PAY THE FEE / TAKE A PHOTO AND PRINT DRIVING LICENCE (Fee 205 baht for car, Fee 105 baht for motorcycle)

I had an appointment two weeks ago to renew my 5 year license, in Bangkok. The office is open and you can walk in, but they were not issuing driving licenses. Not for anyone.

The normally busy office was almost deserted. The staff have no idea when normal operations will resume.

• Thanks 1

I get no such message.

NEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE | กรมการขนส่งทางบก (dlt.go.th)

Indeed the DLT offices did close or restrict services last year, but re-opened within a couple of months.

I renewed my 5 year licence in March this year no problem.

Unless they have closed again since Songkran and the increase in Covid infections, I'm not aware.

Your better to ring your local DLT to get a definitive answer on licence applications/renewals at this current time,

• Like 1

Wasn't there amnesties given on DL's if OP is bothered go see the road police and talk to your insurance,  no problem if you have no DL if you have 1st class DTPL govt insurance. ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I get no such message.

NEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE | กรมการขนส่งทางบก (dlt.go.th)

Indeed the DLT offices did close or restrict services last year, but re-opened within a couple of months.

I renewed my 5 year licence in March this year no problem.

Unless they have closed again since Songkran and the increase in Covid infections, I'm not aware.

Your better to ring your local DLT to get a definitive answer on licence applications/renewals at this current time,

That banner which I posted stating suspension of services is featured on the Home-page of the DLT website

> https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

It boggles the mind that the opening page of the main website of DLT features incorrect information , when you were obviously able to renew your 5-year licence 2 months ago...

But TIT, always good for a surprise...

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That banner which I posted stating suspension of services is featured on the Home-page of the DLT website

> https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

It boggles the mind that the opening page of the main website of DLT features incorrect information , when you were obviously able to renew your 5-year licence 2 months ago...

But TIT, always good for a surprise...

That's a really old infographic and they were certainly open in August last year and until March this year. The SIL sat his theory and practical test for his first Thai licence in August 2020.

If they closed again, it appears they've just stuck the old infographic up again.

Can't say that surprises me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED)

MoL no longer prints addresses in work permits. If you are fortunate enough to have a work permit that has been renewed for years on end then you might be lucky in that regard. Appears they stop printing addresses something like 3 years ago.

I had contacted them about a month ago I had my wife speak to them in Thai. They had said to call after April 30th.

I am also very interested in going up to renew my license and would be appreciative for any updated information from anyone.

Anyone have a former information on what it takes to renew a 5-year license?

Edited by kynikoi

27 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Anyone have a former information on what it takes to renew a 5-year license?

I renewed my 5 year licence in March.

Existing 5 year DL.

Passport - copy of photo page and extension.

Yellow Tabien Baan + copy.

Medical certificate (although they didn't take it)

Then had to watch a 1 hour road safety video (now in English).

Followed by the 4 standard physical tests, colour blindness, peripheral vision, distance awareness and emergency stop. (The peripheral vision test equipment was out of order).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This guy just got an International Driving Permit issued. 

I know, not quite the same as renewing a driving licence, but it indicates that the offices are operating, there is just no confirmation as to what extent exactly. 

If you check my thread you will notice that I have posted a couple of pictures and a comment indicating that the Department of Land Transportation is fully functional: one is able to renew a driving license as well as have their vehicle inspected

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 4:41 PM, Tanoshi said:

I renewed my 5 year licence in March.

Existing 5 year DL.

Passport - copy of photo page and extension.

Yellow Tabien Baan + copy.

Medical certificate (although they didn't take it)

Then had to watch a 1 hour road safety video (now in English).

Followed by the 4 standard physical tests, colour blindness, peripheral vision, distance awareness and emergency stop. (The peripheral vision test equipment was out of order).

Unless that has changed but an official certificate of residence delivered by an Embassy, local police or the "khet" is required ( no need to have it translated - at least when it is in Latin letters ). A yellow Tabian Ban and even a pink ID card do not suffice: I did experience it personally. So, better to get everything at hand and bring some excess document home than start the whole process again because of a missing letter

1 hour ago, alyx said:

A yellow Tabian Ban and even a pink ID card do not suffice: I did experience it personally.

At your particular DLT office maybe, but many DLT offices accept a Yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address. Isn't that what Thais use, their Tabien Baan.

Why should a foreigner be any different.

23 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

At your particular DLT office maybe, but many DLT offices accept a Yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address. Isn't that what Thais use, their Tabien Baan.

Why should a foreigner be any different.

That is the rule in Bangkok Morchit. Maybe it differs from DLT to DLT: this morning I was asked to produce an original certificate of residence per IDPermit…to the same agent. Luckily I had asked two of them the previous day. Actually if you go to their site it is mentioned that proof of residence is required: neither the yellow book nor the pink card are cited. Last time I went there, confident that I had more than enough a proof ( all the above cited ) I was told that I needed a ( non translated ) certificate of the embassy which I presented a few hours later and it went fine. This being said you can obtain the same document from your khet ( where you get the yellow book and eventually the pink card ) 

As I said better to have it …some other posters may have the same or a different experience to support either processes 

9 minutes ago, alyx said:

That is the rule in Bangkok Morchit. Maybe it differs from DLT to DLT: this morning I was asked to produce an original certificate of residence per IDPermit…to the same agent. Luckily I had asked two of them the previous day. Actually if you go to their site it is mentioned that proof of residence is required: neither the yellow book nor the pink card are cited. Last time I went there, confident that I had more than enough a proof ( all the above cited ) I was told that I needed a ( non translated ) certificate of the embassy which I presented a few hours later and it went fine. This being said you can obtain the same document from your khet ( where you get the yellow book and eventually the pink card ) 

As I said better to have it …some other posters may have the same or a different experience to support either processes 

This is the first time I’ve heard of the DLT in Mo Chit not accepting the Yellow Tabien Baan book. 

For the record, as of Jan 2020, DLT Area 3 (Sukhumvit 99, Bangkok) do accept the Yellow Tabien.

You mentioned the use of an agent, alyx.

Was this a case of the agent that you used saying they needed a Letter of Residence? 

Or, was it a case of an officer working in the department of Land Transport at Mo Chit telling you directly that they will not accept the Yellow Tabien Baan house book as proof of address?

I’m just curious if the agent doesn’t want the Yellow book because they don’t know what it is and ergo do not actually know that its accepted and don’t want to try.

Of course, it could be a new regulation at DLT Mo Chit that the Yellow book is not accepted - rules and regs are changing or interpreted differently all the time. 

Additionally, the Yellow Tabien Baan house book is not accepted as proof of address in at DLT Pattaya,  I can’t understand why as its the ‘ultimate’ document indicating proof of address. I wonder if pressed, senior officials would actually recognise that the junior staff have misunderstood a regulation all along. 

It just seems too odd that its not accepted at some DLT’s - it would be interesting to know why. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the first time I’ve heard of the DLT in Mo Chit not accepting the Yellow Tabien Baan book. 

For the record, as of Jan 2020, DLT Area 3 (Sukhumvit 99, Bangkok) do accept the Yellow Tabien.

You mentioned the use of an agent, alyx.

Was this a case of the agent that you used saying they needed a Letter of Residence? 

Or, was it a case of an officer working in the department of Land Transport at Mo Chit telling you directly that they will not accept the Yellow Tabien Baan house book as proof of address?

I’m just curious if the agent doesn’t want the Yellow book because they don’t know what it is and ergo do not actually know that its accepted and don’t want to try.

Of course, it could be a new regulation at DLT Mo Chit that the Yellow book is not accepted - rules and regs are changing or interpreted differently all the time. 

Additionally, the Yellow Tabien Baan house book is not accepted as proof of address in at DLT Pattaya,  I can’t understand why as its the ‘ultimate’ document indicating proof of address. I wonder if pressed, senior officials would actually recognise that the junior staff have misunderstood a regulation all along. 

It just seems too odd that its not accepted at some DLT’s - it would be interesting to know why. 

I meant the person working at the DLT. No it is not new : 2 years ago when I renewed my 5 year driving licence and again this morning for the IDPermit 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

BUMP. Now that we're back in lockdown, can anyone confirm if DLT is operating. My main interest is the Pattaya/Banglamung office. This is a request for someone getting a new license from scratch, not a renewal. 

Thanking you in advance, R

since I found the answer.... here goes for anyone interested

https://www.dlt.go.th/site/chonburi/m-news/1269/view.php?_did=33124

Mr. Chirut Wisanchit, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, revealed that the epidemic situation of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) still has an increasing rate of the number of infected people. Especially in the highest and strictly controlled areas, 13 provinces, namely Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Narathiwat, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Pattani, Yala, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Songkhla, Chonburi, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya. and Chachoengsao The Center for the Epidemic Management of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) has issued an order to control the spread of COVID-19. Department of Transport took measures to comply with such orders as follows