Thailand reports youngest victim among record tally of COVID-19 deaths

snoop1130

2021-05-17T013144Z_1_LYNXNPEH4G01J_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A health worker takes a nasal swab sample from a man from Klong Toey community, for a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test, in Bangkok, Thailand, May 4, 2021. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported on Tuesday 35 new coronavirus deaths, a record daily number that included the country's youngest victim up to now, a two-month-old baby, as authorities struggle to contain a third wave of infections.

The Southeast Asian country's latest COVID-19 outbreak has seen infections more than triple and deaths increase six fold since it started in April, following a year of success in containing earlier outbreaks.

The new deaths included a two-month-old baby with a heart condition, the COVID-19 task force said.

Bangkok, the epicentre of the current outbreak, recorded 876 new infections on Monday, still the highest among the country's provinces.

"New infections found in Bangkok remain high. Overall new cases are still on a rising trend," Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the COVID-19 task force, told a briefing.

Bangkok has now recorded 28,658 new infections since the outbreak emerged in April.

The latest cases included 29 clusters in markets and most recently construction sites, he said, adding more than 1,100 new cases were found at a construction site in the Laksi district.

Prime Minster Prayuth Chan-ocha said the government planned to vaccinate at least 5 million people in Bangkok, or 70% of its population, in the June-July period.

Thailand has also seen a series of prison clusters and the corrections department said 11,670 inmates from 13 jails had now been infected.

Authorities have yet to start a mass immunisation drive, with 1.52 million recipients of a first-dose of a COVID-19 vaccine so far, mostly frontline workers or members high-risk groups.

A mass vaccination drive is expected next month, as Thailand aims to inoculate 70% of adults among its more than 66 million population.

Thailand announced on Tuesday 2,473 new infections, taking the overall number of cases to 113,555 since the pandemic started last year.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-05-18

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Tragic news, one will never know how long she would have survived without the virus effecting her. Her family must be distraught.

Yes, Brian.  The Covid virus is the source of all evils, isn't it?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You tell me you always have a lot of questions but no answers?

Maybe you should ask the parents also?

Infant mortality is still a massive problem in the world. 4 million per year according to the World Health Organisation so don't portray yourself as some great humanitarian if you're totally ignoring that problem.

https://www.who.int/data/gho/data/themes/topics/indicator-groups/indicator-group-details/GHO/infant-mortality#:~:text=Globally%2C the infant mortality rate,to 4.0 million in 2018.

Edited by edwardandtubs

10 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

What a bizarre comment. Of course it's tragic that this baby died but the article is clear they had a heart condition, which must have been an extremely serious one because covid-19 isn't a condition that has killed many healthy babies. Just accept it for what it is - an individual tragedy. There's no need at all for you to engage in political point scoring.

The baby had a heart condition. Yes. The baby died from covid. Yes. No covid the chances are that baby would still be alive and could live to a ripe old age. Plenty of babies with heart conditions do live on. As for covid not killing babies well now it has. And just how do you know it was a serious heart condition? Does it say anywhere. Lifted from the net....

Living With Holes in the Heart. The outlook for children who have atrial septal defects (ASDs) or ventricular septal defects (VSDs) is excellent. Advances in treatment allow most children who have these heart defects to live normal, active, and productive lives with no decrease in lifespan.

Maybe this was the problem. Maybe a dicky valve neither is a death sentence. It doesn't really matter. The poor kid caught covid and died. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

Infant mortality is still a massive problem in the world. 4 million per year according to the World Health Organisation so don't portray yourself as some great humanitarian if you're totally ignoring that problem.

https://www.who.int/data/gho/data/themes/topics/indicator-groups/indicator-group-details/GHO/infant-mortality#:~:text=Globally%2C the infant mortality rate,to 4.0 million in 2018.

This thread is about covid victims, not the world mortality rate attributed to other factors shocking as they are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

This thread is about covid victims, not the world mortality rate attributed to other factors shocking as they are.

It's important not to lose a sense of perspective though so it's very relevant to point out that a negligible percentage of infant mortality is caused by covid.

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Let me get this straight, I was portraying myself as a "great humanitarian" in my post? However I shouldn't do that unless I also mentioned all the other causes of infant mortality.

There was me thinking I was expressing sympathy for the parents, tragic....................

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's important not to lose a sense of perspective though so it's very relevant to point out that a negligible percentage of infant mortality is caused by covid.

OK start a new thread then on world mortality rates and the causes, not one where the topic is covid 19 victims.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I would just love to see you tell the parents that their baby now deceased from covid-19 is just a negliable percentage. I am fairly sure you have no heart conitions 'cause it seems from where I sit you aint got one.

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

Making valid comparisons is very much on topic and not at all childish, unlike most of your comments.

You stated this "I don't need your permission to comment in a thread" which is nothing more than a child would say. However  comparing  a 2 month old baby who died from covid in Thailand, albeit with complications,  with 4 million children who died from other causes worldwide is neither a valid comparison nor does it contribute anything to the thread other then irrelevant verbage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

I would just love to see you tell the parents that their baby now deceased from covid-19 is just a negliable percentage. I am fairly sure you have no heart conitions 'cause it seems from where I sit you aint got one.

The parents, who have just tragically lost a child, are I'm sure not reading this thread, so what's the point of your comment?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

You stated this "I don't need your permission to comment in a thread" which is nothing more than a child would say. However  comparing  a 2 month old baby who died from covid in Thailand, albeit with complications,  with 4 million children who died from other causes worldwide is neither a valid comparison nor does it contribute anything to the thread other then irrelevant verbage.

And what was that post if not irrelevant verbiage?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

And what was that post if not irrelevant verbiage?

OK stating" I don't need your permission to comment in a thread" was not a childish comment by you then. How do I know ? well you have just taught your self to "cut and paste", well done, try learning delete next ????????????????????????????

Edited by Excel
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I may get blasted for this... 

Absolutely tragic than anyone passes before their time, even more tragic and heartbreaking when its a child or an infant. 

So, virtue signalling aside, the poor infant had a ‘heart defect’ we don’t know if this was life threatening and the cause of death and that the child also tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus, OR, if the heart defect was entirely survivable and serious respiratory difficulties as a direct impact of Covid-19 killed the child who also had a heart defect. 

Again the comorbidity confusion exists - died with Covid-19 or because of Covid-19.

I believe the terminology has been extremely poor throughout this pandemic - Died ‘with’ is just too vague. 

Something more along the lines of the statements below would provide us all with better information when communicating fatalities. 

- Died as a direct result complications due to Covid-19

- Died and had tested positive for the SARS-Cov-2 virus

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

as per usual  this  topic  has been derailed  by pointless attempts  to establish  unqualified  correctness in either opinion or defense of some sense of authority !!

F..in  boring !

Unfortunately expressing sympathy for the parents earns those responsible accusations of other motives. What should have been a straight forward acknowledgement of the sad death and wishes to the parents has been totally derailed. Very sad.

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

What a bizarre comment. Of course it's tragic that this baby died but the article is clear they had a heart condition, which must have been an extremely serious one because covid-19 isn't a condition that has killed many healthy babies. Just accept it for what it is - an individual tragedy. There's no need at all for you to engage in political point scoring.

I understand your point and yes it is reasonable, but there is a counterpoint. Babies are do not come full developed. They are often born with medical problems and defects that in many cases sort themselves out with time. did you know that the number of premature births in Thailand is approx. 12%? Add in the number of babies born to mother who is sick or has other illness and maybe 20% of newborns can be  considered to be higher risk than child at 1 year. It is not known yet the impact of Covid on developing baby is it?  One of the reasons for vaccinating people against infectious disease is to prevent damage to babies. Examples are deafness with measles and brain and heart damage with rubella.  A few years ago, zika virus was  on the loose. It took time to discover that the zika virus produced brain damaged babies and now Brazil has thousands of these children.

No I do not make catastrophe claim, just one of caution and that one should not be like PM Modi of India and dismiss the impact of the  Covid19 infection, because at this point in time we do not see the damage.