What's your best guess? When will bars re-open in Pattaya?

Senechal

3 hours ago, Senechal said:

Is this a serious question? Why are you lumping Thailand -- a comparatively wealthy, upper middle-income economy with poor countries?  Per capita GDP in Thailand isn't just double or even triple that of Burma... it's nearly 6x what it is in Burma.

And then there are 100 other metrics you could also look at, including food hygiene, sewage treatment, toilets per capita (this is a huge deal btw), education level, personal hygiene, contact tracing, smartphone penetration, hospital beds per capita, doctors per capita. etc.

It would be completely crazy if Thailand did as poorly as its hick neighbors. 

Biology doesn't care much about money. 

Well-off people can get sick. 

You should study medicine. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hyna said:

Biology doesn't care much about money. 

Biology does care if you wipe your ass with your left hand and wash your clothes in sewage water. You should spend some time in poor countries.

Hint: This isn't one, relatively speaking.

Edited by Senechal
(It needed more snark)

On 6/7/2021 at 3:20 AM, Poet said:

The hysteria around the Coronavirus, which you so clearly exemplify, wil lead to the unnecessary deaths of far more of the elderly, through missed appointments, disrupted treatments, redirected public health resources, and social isolation.

IMO some people are just looking for an excuse to be offended. The curse of our age.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 12:24 PM, Senechal said:

Biology does care if you wipe your ass with your left hand and wash your clothes in sewage water. You should spend some time in poor countries.

Hint: This isn't one, relatively speaking.

Definitely got 3rd World governance here though.  

• Like 2

I see that the Phuket Mayor has said today that the bars would remain closed when Phuket reopens to foreign tourists on 1st July. I was hoping that would be the trigger to reopen and other provinces would follow suit.

16 hours ago, kinyara said:

I see that the Phuket Mayor has said today that the bars would remain closed when Phuket reopens to foreign tourists on 1st July. I was hoping that would be the trigger to reopen and other provinces would follow suit.

Yes doesn't look good for anything opening here if the sandpit bars can't open. Also has school opening been delayed in Pattaya.? I thought there had hardly been any new cases. But then I don't keep too sharp an eye on it. 

On 6/11/2021 at 2:28 PM, rott said:

Yes doesn't look good for anything opening here if the sandpit bars can't open. Also has school opening been delayed in Pattaya.? I thought there had hardly been any new cases. But then I don't keep too sharp an eye on it. 

They are still getting around 3000 new cases and around 30 deaths each day.  

Seems crazy to even be talking about opening up bars etc, let alone opening up the mainland to tourists.    

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They are still getting around 3000 new cases and around 30 deaths each day.  

Seems crazy to even be talking about opening up bars etc, let alone opening up the mainland to tourists.    

Thanks but I meant new cases in Pattaya. 

• Like 1

The Phuket governor said that he wants to keep the bars and entertainment venues closed as they are known areas where outbreaks can start. Yet all the tourists arriving will have had two doses, and 70% of Phuket residents are supposed to have had at least one (except the poor old expats, lol), so on the basis of that thinking it's never, ever going to be safe to open the bars again!

6 minutes ago, rott said:

Thanks but I meant new cases in Pattaya. 

I know, but without any road blocks etc, and sealing off Pattaya / Chonburi completely, opening up here is not going to happen anytime soon.  

Just now, Leaver said:

I know, but without any road blocks etc, and sealing off Pattaya / Chonburi completely, opening up here is not going to happen anytime soon.  

So does anyone have any recent figures on infections in Pattaya. 

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Seems crazy to even be talking about opening up bars etc, let alone opening up the mainland to tourists

Like the UK where there are over 7000 cases per day?  

It is just talk here.......

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:03 PM, eeworldwide said:

Thank you for seeing sense.

The evidence is all around us. Only deliberately obtuse people would refuse to see the truth and believe in the ressurection of a sordid fairytale, enjoyed by millions from around the world, for so long.

And whose fault is it? Well this time, the blame sits squarely on the fair shoulders of Thailand herself, and her corrupt and lazy and tardy government.

All things must come to an end, and some things shall be made new, but many things are dead in the dust and water, and will never return.

Yes there will not be a resurrection of the past enchanted Pattaya. But it is not about fault it is by design. The elites in this country have for years been ashamed of the rap Thailand has, especially Pattaya. Now they with the motives and means finally have the opportunity to finish off the sordid fairytale. And as noted by someone above things seem to be really stalling here at the expense of the old model. So you said previously the powers also don't want mass tourism either. So what's left : independent Asians, Russians, Indians ,Thais. Something in The South China Post. You tell me.

57 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Yes there will not be a resurrection of the past enchanted Pattaya. But it is not about fault it is by design. The elites in this country have for years been ashamed of the rap Thailand has, especially Pattaya. Now they with the motives and means finally have the opportunity to finish off the sordid fairytale. And as noted by someone above things seem to be really stalling here at the expense of the old model. So you said previously the powers also don't want mass tourism either. So what's left : independent Asians, Russians, Indians ,Thais. Something in The South China Post. You tell me.

With many of the commercial premises in Pattaya City catering for the sex trade, pre covid, what could they all be repurposed into?  There are too many to be retail.  

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

With many of the commercial premises in Pattaya City catering for the sex trade, pre covid, what could they all be repurposed into?  There are too many to be retail.  

Oh I don't think prostitution in Pattaya is going anywhere. But it won't be  in the open air scene . Asian clubs, karaoke, for Koreans, Chinese, Thais . Like the scene in Hat Yai and Sungal ko lok on Southern border for Malaysians. One of these large places can take up half a block.

35 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Oh I don't think prostitution in Pattaya is going anywhere. But it won't be  in the open air scene . Asian clubs, karaoke, for Koreans, Chinese, Thais . Like the scene in Hat Yai and Sungal ko lok on Southern border for Malaysians. One of these large places can take up half a block.

I don't disagree with you.  i have said in the past I would not be surprised if many establishments on Walking street were changed to Chinese karaoke or similar, post covid.  

I actually think a fair percentage of the sex trade here will go digital in the future. (no pun intended) 

Girls freelancing on apps, being their own boss.  Meeting in person in Pattaya, and dancing / "live show" and engaging online with customers abroad.  I'm surprised the Nightwish Group haven't already developed an app in preparation, to have another arm of the business.      

There's reports of Thai bar / gogo girls making a lot more money on Only Fans then they did actually working in a bar or gogo.  

In any case, what would be the possible repurposing of all the small bars here?  I don't mean beer bars, they will be bulldozed soon enough.  I mean the small brick construction bars. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Q

In any case, what would be the possible repurposing of all the small bars here?  I don't mean beer bars, they will be bulldozed soon enough.  I mean the small brick construction bars. 

Bulldozers don't have problems with brick constructions.  What all are the replacements/repurposes going to be ? Haven't the slightest idea Jim.

39 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I'm surprised the Nightwish Group haven't already developed an app in preparation, to have another arm of the business.  

Probably because it would be in violation of the computer crimes act and lengthy jail time would be the likely result.

If the baht falls to an all time low, tourism will boom. First, the Beach Road of yore will re-emerge. Then bars and hotels in the resurrected zone will flourish, then the "snow ball effect" will revitalize "Olde Patts."

As a layman in economics, I must ask - "Can a government devalue their currency, or is devaluation solely caused by external forces?"

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Bulldozers don't have problems with brick constructions.  What all are the replacements/repurposes going to be ? Haven't the slightest idea Jim.

I'm thinking the beer bar complexes have one owner, whether it be an individual, or majority share company.  

The brick constructions would have different owners, as per their land titles.  Sure, they can still be bought out and the buildings flattened, but not as easily.  

3 minutes ago, rcuthbert said:

If the baht falls to an all time low, tourism will boom. First, the Beach Road of yore will re-emerge. Then bars and hotels in the resurrected zone will flourish, then the "snow ball effect" will revitalize "Olde Patts."

As a layman in economics, I must ask - "Can a government devalue their currency, or is devaluation solely caused by external forces?"

Hi-sos won't allow this..........they haven't finished buying up central London.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Probably because it would be in violation of the computer crimes act and lengthy jail time would be the likely result.

ThaiFriendly is operating.  It can simply be a dating app that people are using for other purposes.  

I know Soi 6 is a cash cow for the BiB.  Maybe the app can be "hosted" outside Thailand.  Maybe the app can not be traced back to the Nighwish Group.  Easy to do.  

AirBnB is here.  The days of bar fines and lady drinks are slowly coming to an end.  Whilst there will always be a market for "hostesses" here, a fair percentage of the sex trade will move to the digital platform, post covid.  It was already happening pre covid.  

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

I actually think a fair percentage of the sex trade here will go digital in the future. (no pun intended) 

Girls freelancing on apps, being their own boss.  Meeting in person in Pattaya, and dancing / "live show" and engaging online with customers abroad.  I'm surprised the Nightwish Group haven't already developed an app in preparation, to have another arm of the business.      

There's reports of Thai bar / gogo girls making a lot more money on Only Fans then they did actually working in a bar or gogo.  

For sure, this is the way it will go. Easy money for the ladies and no need to do anything more than show. One imagines that ladies who are tech-savvy and aspirational will ply their trade online. Those who are less tech-savvy / older / less aspirational will remain in the bars where the standards will likely slip further.

On 6/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, rott said:

So does anyone have any recent figures on infections in Pattaya. 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=ChonburiPr&set=a.4095196590544131

Chonburi breaks the daily numbers down by the Ampoes. For the last couple of weeks it's in the lower left corner of each day's report and starts with Chonburi City on top, then Sri Ratcha and then Banglamung. So June 13 saw 7 new cases reported in Banglamung.