Thais fight back. No more covid rapid test charge to enter Phuket for Thais

RobMuir

The saga continues. 

TVF foreign readers were disgusted with the recent decision to change the rapid covid test fee from 300 baht for everyone to enter Phuket to free for the Thai citizens and 500 for foreigners.

They screamed it was xenophobic and  vowed never to return to Phuket again.

David cancelled his family trip in protest. It wasn't the money, but the point of it. The government was treating us non-citizens as second class citizens!

Then, in a victory for fairness, the Phuket Governor then backflipped and declared Thais would pay. TVF human rights activists were pleased but most vowed they would still never return to Phuket anyway.

The Thai citizens and tax payers were filthy. The Governor had contracted the rapid testing job out to a private contractor who was profiting from the tests. And they were slow. Up to three hours to get over Sarasin bridge. Thai social media pressure mounted on the Governor.

Chanchai posted (translated from Thai) "Bludy hell mate. It was all good, we were all getting tested for free under the Public Health System until those drongoes on Thaivisa started arching up.

Then to calm them down we all had to cop it and had to pay it ourselves.

I was born in Phuket, I have been doing it tough lately, this is a real kick in the guts mate. This Missus was ropeable. We are the voters, but he doesn't care about us"

The pressure got too much and the Governor today has now changed the policy again, contradicting an earlier announcement from the Deputy Governor and the Thais will not be charged anymore. 

This citizen, in the video below which was on the news tonight,  spat it at being charged, saying he was a citizen and being charged was not right.

However he said that there were now three choices for entering Phuket. 

1)Those who are vaccinated

2)Those who have a negative test 72 hours prior.

3) Quarentine for 14 days.

But if flying into Phuket Airport without being vaccinated or having a negative test result you won't be allowed to board the plane.

What isn't clear, and the question is now trending on the Phuket Facebook Page, is whether or not they will be doing rapid tests at Sarasin Bridge for free or not at all? 

https://www.facebook.com/175224883176199/posts/792261054805909/

The voters are not happy.

Edited by RobMuir
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, champers said:

At least in Phuket you get to vote for your Governor so they are accountable. In Bangkok and Chonburi they are appointed.

Wrong.   Appointed in Phuket.   Not sure about Chonburi, but I know the Bangkok Governor is installed via an election.

Re the first post in this thread, there are no free tests at Sarasin.   What I have read is that those people in Phang Nga who travel to Phuket every day can obtain a 'pass' which allows them entry/exit.   Others who cannot produce either a vaccination certificate or within 72 hours test have to quarantine for 14 days.

4 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Re the first post in this thread, there are no free tests at Sarasin

So what is your take on the news report I posted from Channel 8?

It says Thais won't have to pay 450 baht now. 

Free tests at Sarasin or no tests at all? 

That is what people are asking on the Facebook page I posted.

54 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

So what is your take on the news report I posted from Channel 8?

It says Thais won't have to pay 450 baht now. 

Free tests at Sarasin or no tests at all? 

That is what people are asking on the Facebook page I posted.

I don't understand the confusion. The announcement was clear: no rapid testing, so no tests at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

I don't understand the confusion. The announcement was clear: no rapid testing, so no tests at all.

I’m confused too.  Last I read getting into Phuket with a rapid test wasn’t even possible.   

Did that change again?

Also, based on the translation, the link to the Facebook page has nothing to do with what OP is claiming.  

It’s about the traffic jams from people driving in.  And they state in the article that you either have a cert showing you’ve had both vaccination shots or a negative Covid test (not the rapid one) within the last 3 days.  Otherwise you have to quarantine for 14-days.  

I don’t see any complaining about the price because the test isn’t being administered.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digibum said:

the link to the Facebook page has nothing to do with what OP is claiming.  

Read the comments.

3 hours ago, digibum said:

don’t see any complaining about the price because the test isn’t being administered

Watch the video. 

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Read the comments.

Watch the video. 

I did read the comments.  There are 2 comments as far as I can see.  Hardly a uproar in the Thai community.   

Secondly, of the two comments I do see, one mentions something about having to get tested in Phang Na and the other mentions something about the timelines.  

nothing in the story or in the comments, as far as I can see.  Maybe you can post some specifics quotes.  

You heard it first from Rob.

22 hours ago, RobMuir said:

But if flying into Phuket Airport without being vaccinated or having a negative test result you won't be allowed to board the plane.

• Haha 1