Opening a bank account, from the UK?

Hi - I realise this sounds a bit mad, but is it possible to open a bank account vfrom here in the UK? I will be in the country in July for holiday and then November for retirement & relocation.

Or is it possible to just walk into a bank when I'm on hols in July, with my passport and travel docs, to open one, there & then?

Any tips greatly appreciated, thanks.

Can you open a Thai bank account when you aren't physically present in the bank?  No

Can you open a Thai bank account when you're here on holiday?  Probably not, but you can try.  Presumably you'll be here on visa-exempt entry (45 days) or Tourist Visa (60 days)?  Neither of those are long-term visas (meaning something 90 days or more) so banks will be reluctant to open an account for an applicant in Thailand on that basis.

Assuming when you arrive in November you may be coming in on a Non-O visa for purpose of retirement, you'll have an easier time but not an easy time.  The Non-O Visa is a long-term visa.  You may need a letter from your embassy in Thailand attesting to your address in Thailand and the fact that your passport is legitimate.  Some banks want that sometimes.  You may have to ask at multiple banks and multiple branches.  If you know someone in Thailand, preferably Thai, that banks at the branch you are trying to open an account at that can be helpful if they can be with you at the bank.

In short it's not easy for a foreigner to open a bank account, but they certainly have to be in Thailand, it helps greatly if they have a long-term visa, and then something proving their address in Thailand like an embassy letter can make a difference.  I suggest the embassy letter rather than a Certificate of Residence obtained from an immigration office because some of those won't give you one unless you've previously filed a 90-Day Report there.

Finally, as a last resort, there are agents who for a fee will help you open a bank account.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skatewash said:

Can you open a Thai bank account when you aren't physically present in the bank?  No

Can you open a Thai bank account when you're here on holiday?  Probably not, but you can try.  Presumably you'll be here on visa-exempt entry (45 days) or Tourist Visa (60 days)?  Neither of those are long-term visas (meaning something 90 days or more) so banks will be reluctant to open an account for an applicant in Thailand on that basis.

Assuming when you arrive in November you may be coming in on a Non-O visa for purpose of retirement, you'll have an easier time but not an easy time.  The Non-O Visa is a long-term visa.  You may need a letter from your embassy in Thailand attesting to your address in Thailand and the fact that your passport is legitimate.  Some banks want that sometimes.  You may have to ask at multiple banks and multiple branches.  If you know someone in Thailand, preferably Thai, that banks at the branch you are trying to open an account at that can be helpful if they can be with you at the bank.

In short it's not easy for a foreigner to open a bank account, but they certainly have to be in Thailand, it helps greatly if they have a long-term visa, and then something proving their address in Thailand like an embassy letter can make a difference.  I suggest the embassy letter rather than a Certificate of Residence obtained from an immigration office because some of those won't give you one unless you've previously filed a 90-Day Report there.

Finally, as a last resort, there are agents who for a fee will help you open a bank account.

Thanks Skatewash - an excellent and comprehensive answer, cheers!

• Like 1