Sinovac review by Thai superstar Chompoo Araya goes viral

webfact

10 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

This is pure propaganda.

The message is it's safe and I'm willing to step up and take the vaccine so should you.

'Safe' and 'effective' are two different issues.  I want one that is the most effective and its not the Chinese version.  

Edited by Pilotman

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And how did this young lady jump to the front of the priority queue?

As stated in the article:

"she was able to receive the vaccine at a field hospital inside a temple near her home, as she lives in a cluster area considered high-risk by the government."

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Many Thais have sworn off the Sinovac jab and vowed to wait for the arrival of other vaccines

For reference, these are the vaccines approved and used in the UK:-

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/

Chinese vaccines are not listed.

1 hour ago, Patong2021 said:

The concern for me is the lack of transparency and reliable information. The Astra Zeneca vaccine has been studied and reviewed by multiple responsible and reliable government agencies and scientists in the west. The problems are identified, the risks are known and the solutions provided. Pfizer vaccine has the benefit of ongoing active clinical trial on population of Israel.  What do you know of Sinovac vaccine?

n clinical and real world trials, China’s Sinovac underperforms | The Economist    According to this you still have a 50/50 chance of being exposed to Covid AFTER Sinovac(50.7%) vaccination. The good news is it will keep you out of ICU, But you could have symptoms for days , mild to severe. On the other hand Moderna (94%) and Pfizer(95%) give you the most protection .  China is practically giving it away to Thailand  Sinovac is one of the weakest vaccines on the market, That's why nobody is being charged for it

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tingtong said:

She got one thing right ( mostly): any vaccine is better than non.

Unfortunately the any in the moment mostly mean a mediocre Chinese one.

I am with the camp suspecting this "star" had made a deal, and do what influencers do: sell herself for someone who pays for her to post.

Rarely if ever will get a honest review from a paid influencer.

The idea of having celebrities or generally well known,well regarded  people promoting vaccination is not new, people were mulling this in Australia in the last week or two. That's simply because in most of the countries people don't trust the politicians. Expect more of this to come in various forms, e.g. like free gift vouchers, etc. 

After the vaccine fiasco which left us mainly with the unwanted AZ vaccine the percent of the people in Australia who don't plan to be vaccinated is on the rise:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/huge-hit-doctors-vaccine-researchers-see-surge-in-vaccine-hesitancy-20210428-p57n0q.html

It would be good if celebrities and influencers convince the people on the fence that the vaccinations are for public good.

How times have changed.

Every corner idi.. can become now an "influencer". (not talking about her).

If I buy a certain brand of toilet paper and enough people follow me and do the same, am I an "influencer"?

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

she's a star .....    and thai stars can do anything,  didn't you know that  !  

They cant show tits in national TV , if can think maybe be more effective to promote vaccine!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I occasionally have the misfortune of seeing/hearing some Luk Khrueng woman screeching at her boyfriend in a Lakorn while I am at the local Mom and Pop shop,

The only place I ever see it is in the waiting area at the hospital.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The concern for me is the lack of transparency and reliable information. The Astra Zeneca vaccine has been studied and reviewed by multiple responsible and reliable government agencies and scientists in the west. The problems are identified, the risks are known and the solutions provided. Pfizer vaccine has the benefit of ongoing active clinical trial on population of Israel.  What do you know of Sinovac vaccine?

There is plenty of data for Sinovac from quite a few countries now, the Chilean study with more than 10 mil participants was finalized a few days ago.

With only Sinovac and AZ available in Thailand, the government here doesn't seem to have plan B if the South African variant makes it here. The AZ vaccine is pretty useless against it, and Sinovac is still under review by the South African government, no data available yet.

So if they do manage to vaccinate many millions by the end of the year, and then the South African variant makes it here, what is next? Start from scratch?

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's interesting a lot of the public appear to distrust the Chinese vaccine, although there seems to have been little criticism of China as the cause of the problem originally.

Not true a lot of FB flak at first against Chinese , their were battles in FB between China and Thailand they don’t trust China and why should they all elites have Chinese DNA 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, club said:

n clinical and real world trials, China’s Sinovac underperforms | The Economist    According to this you still have a 50/50 chance of being exposed to Covid AFTER Sinovac(50.7%) vaccination. The good news is it will keep you out of ICU, But you could have symptoms for days , mild to severe. On the other hand Moderna (94%) and Pfizer(95%) give you the most protection .  China is practically giving it away to Thailand  Sinovac is one of the weakest vaccines on the market, That's why nobody is being charged for it

It is a British magazine,  what do you expect them to publish? The Chinese and the Russian vaccines are direct competitors to AZ.

Have you ever seen a British press article which says that AZ is inferior to Pfizer (which is quite obvious), and the people should sit tight and wait for Pfizer and Moderna vaccines?

"In clinical and real world trials, AZ underperforms Pfizer and Moderna" -  possible news headline.

Edited by gearbox
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

My only concern with it is why it was not usable for the over 60's but now is, what changed there? The PM would not have it and waited for AZ, but he expects the rest of us to do differently.

Nothing has really changed, even the WHO stated "they had a “moderate level of confidence” that the risk of serious adverse effects was low in people aged 59 and less, but had a “low level of confidence” in the quality of evidence that such risk was also low for adults above 60."  China is hoping to have it included in the COVAX platform with other studies.

25 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Which is the same since the patriarch of CP is a member of the CCP.

You have made couple of allegations without any evidence. Given you dislike China, Sinovac and CP, doesn't give you the right to spread misinformation. The Managers, Board and shareholders of Sinovac Biotech can be easily seen at public domain sites. The patriarch of CP K. Dhanin Chearavanont was a second generation and born and educated in Thailand. Under CCP membership, no foreigners can be a member.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Araya's dad is a Brit and she's done a lot for women's rights in Thailand including her charity for domestic abuse victims. 

I have met her several times, heard her speak and she is lovely, not only to look at but to talk to as well. 

In truth, she's too good for the scummy expat community judging by the comments here. 

I'm sure you got to know her incredibly well during this alleged meeting.

I'm also sure she can be charming when needed, but she wasn't too good to partake in this odious PR stunt, supporting the Junta to encourage the serfs to take the worst vaccine available when these people deserve so much better. The same Junta that seized power illegally in 2014 and supports her Billionaire family with policies to wipe out their smaller business competition.

Still, if she looks good and speaks well, I guess that's what matters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

We are talking about the sinovac vaccine here. Good for you that you have a choice, not everyone does. 

Just registered for my first vaccination in Thailand, at the general hospital, Astra Zeneca

3 minutes ago, peleid said:

Just registered for my first vaccination in Thailand, at the general hospital, Astra Zeneca

Congrats getting your registration. Is that from private hospital? As I recalled, under free vaccination you can't chose the vaccine type. You be injected with the most suitable available option. 

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Congrats getting your registration. Is that from private hospital? As I recalled, under free vaccination you can't chose the vaccine type. You be injected with the most suitable available option. 

No, it is the general hospital, before I started the process I asked which one would it be, without hesitation the nurse said Astra Zeneca, at the end of the month they will start taking registration of 50-59 year olds, I will double check on the day

38 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You have made couple of allegations without any evidence. Given you dislike China, Sinovac and CP, doesn't give you the right to spread misinformation. The Managers, Board and shareholders of Sinovac Biotech can be easily seen at public domain sites. The patriarch of CP K. Dhanin Chearavanont was a second generation and born and educated in Thailand. Under CCP membership, no foreigners can be a member.   

Sorry if you are offended. There is indeed a lot of factual information out there that supports not being misinformation if you care to really do a thorough read.. If you do not like my posts then ignore them. Have a good day!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Why is she influential ? Who is she? Looks like they were lucky to find her skinny little arm to vaccinate.

Because she is and has been a key figure in TV, movie and modelling/advertising for well over 10 yrs in Thailand.

• Haha 1