Phuket to reopen to international visitors on July 1

webfact

7 minutes ago, AnnieSeek said:

Ah so they want to try an experiment with human beings? And perhaps let in a varient that could reek havoc. 

Surely they should just follow the science and see the levels of transmissions with vaccines they are reporting. 

How would they even know if things were going bad anyways? They could never actually go back and say 'it came from the tourists who arrived in Phuket'. The same way they can never be sure where this new variant that is surging through Thailand now has come from. 

If cases go down, it is working. If cases go up, it isn’t working. It doesn’t matter where it came from because they likely won’t expand the reopening. However, with all the case drops in highly vaccinated countries, it likely will work.

• Like 2

So, I could (in theory) enter Phuket, but then, I would not be allowed to go anywhere else? Say, to my home in Samui? How are the authorities controlling the movement of visitors and confining them to a specific town that allows entry without quarantine? I have an annual visa, but am told I cannot enter without 14-day quarantine. Except - PHUKET?  

1 hour ago, cedel said:

A friend who is still in Thailand since over 1 year now said to me today that he will go back to Europe and told me not to come in July as I was thinking because everything is closed, people have to wear the mask even in their car, and on motorbike or face heavy fines,  and Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, everywhere it's like ghost cities, nobody in the streets... Nothing to do....Unlike Europe where everything is reopening now.

Also, when I look at all the formalities, certificates, bank statetements (no printing), expensive insurance etc etc to finally obtain  a visa and "sesame" to enter in Thailand, I start to think to go somewhere else either in Europe or to Domenican Republic on holiday ....

Check the rules before you go to Dominican Republic. They still have a curfew. Started more than 5 months ago. Earlier this year the curfew was 5 pm - 5 am Mon-Fri and 3 pm - 5am Sat-Sun. Those breaking curfew were arrested and spent a night in jail. They didn't fool around with just issuing fines. Steep fines and a night in jail!

Now the curfew is relaxed to "Monday to Friday, starting at 10pm until 5am, with two-hour free circulation until midnight. On weekends, curfew is from 9pm to 5am, with the free circulation a.m., with free circulation again until midnight."

https://dr1.com/forums/threads/coronavirus-covid-19-bulletin-425-17-may-2021.397624/

I regularly follow what goes on in the DR because that was the place I thought I was going to retire to before I changed to Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's all over the travel news.  Huge pent up demand to travel.  Yes, some are in dire economic straits, but many are not.  And they're ready to travel internationally, just like they did before the pandemic.

As per UK news, there was a mad rush out of UK starting 17th May for holidays, certainly to UK designated green zones with some also opting to travel to UK designated orange zone countries. Interesting to note that pre Covid the average spend on holiday was approximately 16,000 Baht, whereas currently the chosen average spend has jumped to 160,000 Baht so some certainly have extra money to spend. Not all.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hioctane said:

If cases go down, it is working. If cases go up, it isn’t working. It doesn’t matter where it came from because they likely won’t expand the reopening. However, with all the case drops in highly vaccinated countries, it likely will work.

If cases go up it could be from the current outbreak, perhaps have nothing to even do with Phuket. Imagine if they had opened this 'sandbox scheme' in April. The new outbreak would have been blamed on that. 

My point is no one can even know. This is ridiculous beyond belief. 

We literally are rolling out vaccines  in the coming months and it is at this point they decide to take a risk a few months before that. Crazy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The same regulations apply to visitors who arrive by land transport. People who do not have a certificate of vaccination and have not taken a swab test will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine. If they plan to spend only three days in Phuket, they are required to stay in home quarantine for the three days. The measures take effect today.

Wow. Is this only confusing for me? Start today, or July 1st? What happens if you have a negative test, but not a vaccine? The measures take effect today? What happened to July 1st? This is 100% unclear.

• Confused 2

It's because of nonsense like this that Thailand is close to the bottom of the world table of vaccinations carried out. The government needs to focus on stopping the current outbreak and protecting its own people by accelerating the vaccine programme, not spend half its time worrying about hotel owners in Phuket.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Check the rules before you go to Dominican Republic. They still have a curfew. Started more than 5 months ago. Earlier this year the curfew was 5 pm - 5 am Mon-Fri and 3 pm - 5am Sat-Sun. Those breaking curfew were arrested and spent a night in jail. They didn't fool around with just issuing fines. Steep fines and a night in jail!

Now the curfew is relaxed to "Monday to Friday, starting at 10pm until 5am, with two-hour free circulation until midnight. On weekends, curfew is from 9pm to 5am, with the free circulation a.m., with free circulation again until midnight."

https://dr1.com/forums/threads/coronavirus-covid-19-bulletin-425-17-may-2021.397624/

I regularly follow what goes on in the DR because that was the place I thought I was going to retire to before I changed to Thailand.

Check Mexico. It's open. Never closed its borders.

49 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I haven't seen this mentioned in press reports, but I have heard that the whole "Sandbox" model is based on the TAT organizing said tourist entries into Thailand and essentially these will be package tours of 7 days sold by certain designated travel agencies. Depending on the hotel selected, the price will range from 100-200k baht for the seven day stay. I don't know all what's included for this price other than the hotel room. Also, there will be designated airlines/flights used for the program. This travel industry person is saying that the plan isn't to open on July 1 for anyone vaccinated to arrange their own travel to Phuket but for these package tours for vaccinated people to be available. 

Heard from who?

As much as I would hope that they can restart tourism in Phuket by 01 July, this is truly wishful thinking.  What provincial governments should be doing is to increase the pressure on the health minister and the PM to stop waiting around for Siam Pharma to bring the AstraZeneca vaccine to market (they say June, it will probably be July) and open the market to any approved vaccine that can be sourced.  To tell the private hospital groups that it will be October before they can start administering vaccines, and then to blame Zuellig for not being able to complete a contract before then is completely absurd.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, shackleton said:

So which countries are these tourists coming from 

Forget the UK , Australia ect????

Scandinavia.  Demand is huge from there.  I saw a report saying Thailand is the #1 choice of destination right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Irresponsible beyond belief. 

If the newer varients spread this is going to be dangerous. The vaccine DOES NOT stop you catching the virus and spreading it. Even if people in Phuket are vaccinated - won't there be arrivals from Bangkok and other provinces who will be taking it back? Surely they should just wait till the country has a high vaccination point. 

Kind of a contradictory statement? First you say: "The vaccine DOES NOT stop you catching the virus and spreading it". Then you say they should wait until country has a vaccination point? 

What good is a high vaccination point if the vaccine DOES NOT stop you catching the the virus and spreading it?

I am confused by your position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

From what I have heard, all international transfers to Phuket will have to be on designated airlines/flights thru Swampy and there will be a controlled access corridor to the gate for the connecting flight to Phuket.

WRONG:

Swampy and controlled access to a designated gate for transfers to Phuket.

being discussed, NOT 100% yet

Nobody needs buy any kind of package, 

Book ur hotel direct, book ur flight direct

have both shots

fly in

make sure u have the thai Morchana app on ur phone

stay 7 days ( or longer) and ur than free to travel around Thailand

So which countries are these tourists coming from

China, Russia, Japan, Korea

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

So, 90% of countries will not be applicable as they have huge Covid numbers, and there are no planes flying. Anything else that could stop a huge influx of tourists ? I hope the authorities will be at the airport to welcome all the new tourists !!

it seemed a desperate move to attract tourism and another disguise of the quarantine.

nothing will move until a lot of thai people get vaccination and quarantine removed.

9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Scandinavia.  Demand is huge from there.  I saw a report saying Thailand is the #1 choice of destination right now.

The US also I think. A friend of mine has a couple of high end holiday villas and has been getting a few enquiries from there, he's got one couple already booked for July. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

After 7 days, you would be free to travel to any other provinces that are open. All visitors are fitting with radio tracking collars upon entry to monitor their movements (kidding).

You seem to be up to date on this quite well!  Thanks.  Quick question.  When in Phuket for your 7 day "quarantine", will you be stuck to your room?  Able to roam the hotel property?  Or have unrestricted access all across the island?

Thanks!

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

A person (private sector) involved in the travel industry in Phuket (Thai).

I just added a thai gal from TF to my LINE app as she said she works at Phuket airport

Gonna see if I can squeeze  some info outta her ????