Phuket to reopen to international visitors on July 1

webfact

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

So, 90% of countries will not be applicable as they have huge Covid numbers, and there are no planes flying. Anything else that could stop a huge influx of tourists ? I hope the authorities will be at the airport to welcome all the new tourists !!

They'll look more like prison guards welcoming the new inmates to the penitentiary.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, cedel said:

A friend who is still in Thailand since over 1 year now said to me today that he will go back to Europe and told me not to come in July as I was thinking because everything is closed, people have to wear the mask even in their car, and on motorbike or face heavy fines,  and Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, everywhere it's like ghost cities, nobody in the streets... Nothing to do....Unlike Europe where everything is reopening now.

Also, when I look at all the formalities, certificates, bank statetements (no printing), expensive insurance etc etc to finally obtain  a visa and "sesame" to enter in Thailand, I start to think to go somewhere else either in Europe or to Domenican Republic on holiday ....

I suppose many think the same.

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

Thats true for now>  must have 2 shots or covid negative test

BUT how many Unemployed Thais  can afford a few thousand baht for the test and I doubt even 20% of thais in Thailand will have had their 2nd shot by July 1st

Maybe they will offer Free or cheap tests for thais next month

Yeah, there’s an issue for sure. Of course the vaccine is free for Thai’s provided it’s available. That would be their best option if they want to come and work in Phuket.

3 hours ago, Chicken George said:

Too many its and buts. Like if there are flights? Can children come who are unvacinated? Will your country of original allow you to come without quarantine on return? Can you stay anywhere on Phuket or has it got to be the package tour?

Can you travel around Thailand after a set period? If/when there is outbreak of Covid on Phuket will there be a lockdown or then will you be stopped from travel around Thailand.. Will normal travel insurance be OK?  Will places be staffed on Phuket?

The main question though if you manage to book a flight and fulfill Thailand's requirements for entry will it all be changed the day before you come?  

OK here goes. Sorry no links to clarify answers. Most are guesses and based on opinions, if anyone can do any better with answering please go ahead.

Are there flights ? Yes.

Can children come who are unvaccinated ?  No.

Will your country of original allow you to come without quarantine on return? Depends on which country.

Can you stay anywhere on Phuket or has it got to be the package tour? As the tourist is required to register on the Phuget website this should mean they can stay anywhere.

Can you travel around Thailand after a set period? Yes, last I heard it was 7 days, this could change.

If/when there is outbreak of Covid on Phuket will there be a lockdown or then will you be stopped from travel around Thailand ? The authorities do not anticipate there being an outbreak as the tourists will be vaccinated, on top of this they will also need to present evidence of a recent test. Phuket residents will also be 70% vaccinated.

Will normal travel insurance be OK? Yes. 

Will places be staffed on Phuket? Yes.

The main question though if you manage to book a flight and fulfill Thailand's requirements for entry will it all be changed the day before you come?  No, only exception being the registering on the Go Phuget website and the tracing app, when it was introduced in June last year for people entering Phuket domestically it was a complete farce, expect this to be scrapped.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

I apologize. I forgot the source :

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases

So to repeat the data : Bahrein. Population 1,6 million.

50 % have received 1 dose. 39% are fully vaccinated.

Chart of new cases per day (7 days rolling average). I put a red line, on 31 december 2020, when Bahrein launched its vaccination campaign).

If you look at the dead per day, it's the same dynamic.

According to Reuters, Bahrein uses all vaccines : Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm (China) and even Sputnik V (Russia).

Those data are important for people to understand that vaccination can not solve all the problems.

Especially for a country like Thailand where people and authorities are so sensitive to... Covid cases (especially in Phuket).

BAHRAIN.png.311c7c1ae161fa4c523726252c874bca.png

Agreed. Reaching 70% vaccination isn’t the end, its the end of the beginning.....to coin a phrase. Lots to be done post 70%.

1 hour ago, Swimfan said:

They wont be getting any Australians as we can not leave ????

My Chinese friend in Nanjing told me today via wechat that he and his family are still waiting for the vaccine. 

Also he's not permitted to travel to Thailand (or anywhere ?)

Local temperatures are around 23~25 daily (as opposed to minus 12 in winter ). Apart from business, no real reason to go to "warm, sunny" Thailand !

Last time I was in the UK and Europe during May to July,  the weather was great. Sunshine, temps mid twenties, 

Why fly half way round the world to Thailand /Phuket ???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, taxin said:

OK here goes. Sorry no links to clarify answers. Most are guesses and based on opinions, if anyone can do any better with answering please go ahead.

Are there flights ? Yes.

Can children come who are unvaccinated ?  No.

Will your country of original allow you to come without quarantine on return? Depends on which country.

Can you stay anywhere on Phuket or has it got to be the package tour? As the tourist is required to register on the Phuget website this should mean they can stay anywhere.

Can you travel around Thailand after a set period? Yes, last I heard it was 7 days, this could change.

If/when there is outbreak of Covid on Phuket will there be a lockdown or then will you be stopped from travel around Thailand ? The authorities do not anticipate there being an outbreak as the tourists will be vaccinated, on top of this they will also need to present evidence of a recent test. Phuket residents will also be 70% vaccinated.

Will normal travel insurance be OK? Yes. 

Will places be staffed on Phuket? Yes.

The main question though if you manage to book a flight and fulfill Thailand's requirements for entry will it all be changed the day before you come?  No, only exception being the registering on the Go Phuget website and the tracing app, when it was introduced in June last year for people entering Phuket domestically it was a complete farce, expect this to be scrapped.

Excellent info. Just to clarify a couple of points:

1. If when there is a Covid outbreak will there be a lockdown or stopped from traveling? I think the answer is that it depends on the severity of the outbreak. It’s impossible to predict what the authorities might do, but if it’s a big outbreak,  Likely they would have to take some measures. Whether it’s a lockdown, who can say?

2. Will the requirements be changed? I hazard a guess it’s less and less likely the closer we get to 1st July, but again, who can tell? The authorities react to changing conditions on the ground. We don’t know what they will be. It’s within their prerogative to make changes, presumably they will only do so if absolutely necessary.

Edited by wensiensheng

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

WRONG:

being discussed, NOT 100% yet

Nobody needs buy any kind of package, 

Book ur hotel direct, book ur flight direct

have both shots

fly in

make sure u have the thai Morchana app on ur phone

stay 7 days ( or longer) and ur than free to travel around Thailand

China, Russia, Japan, Korea

Hope you are right... Any rumor about families (vaccinated parents and obviously unvaccinated kids), or this plan is for singles & couples only? 

33 minutes ago, Marcthailand1 said:

I suppose many think the same.

Yes but you would have to be pretty dense to not understand the sandbox model 

I bet the next few posts a dummy will be along with " who will come and pay 14 day blah blah..." 

1 hour ago, cclub75 said:

I apologize. I forgot the source :

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases

So to repeat the data : Bahrein. Population 1,6 million.

50 % have received 1 dose. 39% are fully vaccinated.

Chart of new cases per day (7 days rolling average). I put a red line, on 31 december 2020, when Bahrein launched its vaccination campaign).

If you look at the dead per day, it's the same dynamic.

According to Reuters, Bahrein uses all vaccines : Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm (China) and even Sputnik V (Russia).

Those data are important for people to understand that vaccination can not solve all the problems.

Especially for a country like Thailand where people and authorities are so sensitive to... Covid cases (especially in Phuket).

BAHRAIN.png.311c7c1ae161fa4c523726252c874bca.png

I get your point but had you added similar graphs from neighbours UAE or for that matter UK, US a slightly different picture might have emerged. Vaccination does help but cannot be forced on people. The best vaccine? The fastest one

Today's grimm fairytale from Khun Pipat the pipe-dream salesman.

If tourists are vaccinated, as they should be, why would they be concerned about Thais being vaccinated or not? 

If they are concerned, then stay home.

Conversely, why restrain vaccinated tourists to a "sandbox"? If vaccinated people can transmit Covid, then they should not be entering at all, because "sandboxes" are not effective defenses against viruses, so long as ANY people are moving in and out of Phuket to other parts of the nation.

Look, the place is either good to go on the strength of vaccinations or its not!

They don't seem to understand even the basics of Covid recovery strategies being implemented successfully overseas.

Also, we do all, I hope, now understand that Covid is going to be swirling about with the flu and all the other airborne nasties forever, vaccinations or not. 

The response seems to yaw wildly between extreme paranoia that's only resolved with 31 steps of insane red-tape to even get to the check-in at your home airport, or delusional dreams of tourist arrivals from a covid-free place called fantasyland, with a functional airline schedule, then there's outdated and ham-fisted responses to social mingling based on last years data. Imagine the "joy" of coming here, only to find the cops have closed the beach and pool again, because there's a new outbreak, There's also a delusional lack of awareness that they are not the only ones with travel restrictions, that it will take months to make parked aircraft fit to fly in any great numbers, and even that all of the above, is subject to the world economy, which is subject to Covid responses, they cant seem to accept that Covid is mutating to be worse,, and will continue to do so, because it clearly can, and that any and all grand schemes for reopening will cause new outbreaks until the nation is vaccinated to the point normal life can resume. 

The virus calls the shots, not the TAT.

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Nice vid. Can  easy see tourists drooling over this after a long cold winter. The minute they announce the full plan I'm in but I fear there will be a farang extortion attempt. I just don't see them opening up for 50 k backpackers dining on 7/11 cuisine and staying in 800 baht rooms

Hopefully I'm wrong 

ARE there still 800 Baht rooms on Phuket? I thought they vanished in about 2000!

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's all over the travel news.  Huge pent up demand to travel.  Yes, some are in dire economic straits, but many are not.  And they're ready to travel internationally, just like they did before the pandemic.

I agree...I for one am fully vaccinated and ready, BUT, am not going yet because the rules change almost on a daily basis, plus the risk of Thailand being put on the UK's "red list". That would mean i'd have to quarantine in the UK equivalent of an ASQ hotel on my return.   That's to say nothing of the tests and paperwork just to get a visa and to return to UK anyway,  even with Thailand on the UK "amber list".

Hopefully by winter, things might be clearer.....but i'm not holding my breath!????

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Swimfan said:

No you cant, its not that easy. You must apply for and obtain an exemption to travel. Exemptions are generally only granted on compassionate grounds. I doubt a holiday in Phuket would qualify.  Getting back is probably easier than getting out.

Hmmm....my friend just left and is here now. Said his problem is getting back. He's not even sure he wants to try.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

ARE there still 800 Baht rooms on Phuket? I thought they vanished in about 2000!

LOL: just checked 3 hotels on Kamala beach, sea view rooms for 1st week in june

300, 450 an 700 baht/night!!!
air con, tv, hot water wifi>>>
what more do ya need??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

LOL: just checked 3 hotels on Kamala beach, sea view rooms for 1st week in june

300, 450 an 700 baht/night!!!
air con, tv, hot water wifi>>>
what more do ya need??

pool

• Like 1