Speed of Transferwise/Wise from UK

2 hours ago, Excel said:

And is today, 1st June a bank holiday in Thailand ? No its not is the answer and most of us are aware of Thai bank holidays, hence the points raised regarding delays in TW transfers.

I am aware of that -that is why I have posted in this thread - It is affecting me as well. I was responding to someone who said computers do not have holidays. Send your smarty pants posts to someone else - not me.

• Sad 1

On 5/31/2021 at 3:54 PM, Excel said:

Interestingly just sent to my Thai bank via transferwise and TW states it will be in my bank 2nd June. So are Thai banks closed tomorrow (1st)  ? or is something amiss with TW ?

13 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Just sent a mere £40 this morning at 6.30am (earlier than my last "on the day" arrivals which were sent at 8.30am). Funds for long term stay in Thailand and to Bangkok Bank.

Unlike the other times says arriving June 2nd? Will see if it does arrive today.

RAZZ

9 hours ago, pontious said:

Same happened to me. Started life as today and after pushing go it changed to Jun 2. We would have had the usual 'its on its way' email by now if it was arriving today.

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Did Bht 50,000 at 6.30 this morning, to Bkk Bank as always on 1st of the month. First message said it would arrive in seconds, pressed GO and it said tomorrow. Funds for long term stay.

Cancelled the transfer and re-did it saying Living Expenses....no difference. Cancelled again and set up the first one again.

Tried Bht 500 and it still said tomorrow.

Ah well, can't spend it all today.

3 hours ago, dabhand said:

I had a similar, 2nd June receipt date, with a UK transfer to BB this morning (8am). This was with the usual 'long term stay' reason.

So then set up another UK transfer, to my SCB account (8.20am), but this time just indicating 'living expenses'. That came through in seconds!!

Seems to be a BB issue, so, as with other posters, will see if my 1st transfer, to BB, does come through on 2nd June.

I, too, got an email informing me of a 2nd June receipt date for my latest monthly UK to Bangkok Bank transfer initiated yesterday. I suspect that the cause of the delay lies with Wise rather than Bangkok Bank, and could have something to do with the fact that yesterday (31st May) was a bank holiday in the UK where Wise are based:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wise_(company)

Edited by OJAS

12 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I, too, got an email informing me of a 2nd June receipt date for my latest monthly UK to Bangkok Bank transfer initiated yesterday. I suspect that the cause of the delay lies with Wise rather than Bangkok Bank, and could have something to do with the fact that yesterday (31st May) was a bank holiday in the UK where Wise staff are, I gather, based.  

I doubt that as TW do not actually send money to Thailand. You maybe right but I cannot recall any of my many transfers being delayed by Uk holidays. Thai holidays yes. I think it will be a glitch somewhere that happens now and then. Hopefully we will all be happy tomorrow. Otherwise it will be Friday.!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pontious said:

I doubt that as TW do not actually send money to Thailand. You maybe right but I cannot recall any of my many transfers being delayed by Uk holidays. Thai holidays yes. I think it will be a glitch somewhere that happens now and then. Hopefully we will all be happy tomorrow. Otherwise it will be Friday.!

Wise moves in mysterious ways as I see things, but I am presuming that there is some initial input required manually at their end, for which there was probably no-one around yesterday to do the necessary. I, personally, would be most interested to know which Thai partner bank was used by Wise for @dabhand's successful SCB transfer, given that SCB are not, themselves, a Wise partner bank.

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Wise moves in mysterious ways as I see things, but I am presuming that there is some initial input required manually at their end, for which there was probably no-one around yesterday to do the necessary. I, personally, would be most interested to know which Thai partner bank was used by Wise for @dabhand's successful SCB transfer, given that SCB are not, themselves, a Wise partner bank.

The SMS I received from SCB this morning had a CIMB reference. This was similar to another transfer I made last week, again to my SCB account with reason also being general expenses and received in seconds. This was at 17.45 (Thai) on 27May.

4 minutes ago, dabhand said:

The SMS I received from SCB this morning had a CIMB reference. This was similar to another transfer I made last week, again to my SCB account with reason also being general expenses and received in seconds. This was at 17.45 (Thai) on 27May.

Thanks for that. It appears UK bank holiday on 31 May did not affect your transfer.

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

I doubt there is any manual input if some transfers can be instantaneous.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I doubt there is any manual input if some transfers can be instantaneous.

Which to my mind begs the question as to why some transfers are instantaneous and others are not. But, as I have already said, Wise moves in mysterious ways!

1 hour ago, pontious said:

Got an email at 5.24 this morning - money been sent, should arrive at bank at 2.08pm today.

+1

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Below is the text of an email which I have just sent to Wise in connection with my latest transfer:-

"After initiating this transfer on Monday 31st May, I was rather surprised to be informed that this transfer would not be paid out until Wednesday 2nd June (which, thankfully, it duly appears to have been). Bearing in mind that previous transfers which I have initiated have usually been paid out on the following working day, I would appreciate an explanation for the apparent delay in paying out this particular transfer."

I have received an auto-acknowledgement informing me that a reply should be sent out in 1 working day - and, in fairness to Wise, they are usually pretty good in responding to emails promptly and meaningfully in my experience. I shall post the text of their reply on here once I have received it.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Which to my mind begs the question as to why some transfers are instantaneous and others are not. But, as I have already said, Wise moves in mysterious ways!

Routine ones take a different route from those requiring the Foreign Transaction label.  The latter appear to be processed in batches with a cut off time for the money to be received by Wise and the 2:00pm distribution from BBL.

To throw another query into the mix, a Wise transfer from Italy to my UK account which is usually intantaneous still hasn't arrived a day later (now 3:00am UK time).  Maybe Wise are having issues.

6 minutes ago, treetops said:

To throw another query into the mix, a Wise transfer from Italy to my UK account which is usually intantaneous still hasn't arrived a day later (now 3:00am UK time).  Maybe Wise are having issues.

You might wish to consider emailing Wise in connection with this transfer, just as I have done in connection with mine? To do this you need to log into your account, select the relevant transfer and click on a few steps before being presented with the email option.

13 hours ago, dabhand said:

So does this mean that CIMB are a 4th partner bank used by Wise, in addition to Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and TMB? If so, then this might point to this being some Bangkok Bank-related issue, as you have said. But at least Wise appeared to be aware of it in advance.

40 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So does this mean that CIMB are a 4th partner bank used by Wise, in addition to Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and TMB?

I haven't hear CIMB being mentioned until now, perhaps dabhand could check his Wise receipt to see if it backs up the SMSs.

Deemoney have also been added as a partner as I posted earlier in this thread.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

I haven't hear CIMB being mentioned until now, perhaps dabhand could check his Wise receipt to see if it backs up the SMSs.

Both receipts indeed noted the banking partner as Dee Money. Likely, then, that DM has CIMB as their bankers, possibly with others. There was no reference to CIMB on the receipts, this only was noted on the SMS's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

That makes sense, I think, since I gather that Wise seek, as far as possible, to balance transfers from the UK to a particular country with transfers going in the opposite direction, for which Deemoney are key players in the case of transfers from Thailand to the UK.

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

I have received an auto-acknowledgement informing me that a reply should be sent out in 1 working day - and, in fairness to Wise, they are usually pretty good in responding to emails promptly and meaningfully in my experience. I shall post the text of their reply on here once I have received it.

Well, the good news is that I have received a prompt reply from Wise to my email. The bad news is that it was completely meaningless as regards the specific point I had raised in connection with the delay in paying out my latest transfer. Here, for what it is worth, is all it had to say on this point:-

"As per your query, the time which we show while setting up a transfer is the estimated time according to your previous transfers.

"We always try to send out the funds as soon as possible but in rare cases it might takes up to 1-2 working days for us to process the funds. This is due to various reasons like converting your money, routine checks that we perform as a regulated financial institution to ensure that your money is safe and secure with us."

In these circumstances I think that we would be best advised to assume that future Wise transfers from the UK will take 2 working days to be completed instead of 1. Probably no big deal in practice for those of us making monthly transfers to satisfy IMM requirements, though, unless we have hitherto been in the habit of initiating transfers towards the end of a calendar month.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:42 AM, KannikaP said:

What did YOU do which all the responders on this thread have not done in order to get instant transfer? It baffles me.

Sent money today from WISE UK, posted at 9:12 am Thai time arrived in Bangkok Bank account at 2:01 pm.

The system was showing an expected arrival time of 5 minutes, until I selected the "For long stay in Thailand" item in the pull down "reason for sending" menu it changed to read 2:08 pm today.

Maybe this is why some people can get faster responses than others.

• Like 2

From USA request about 0930 this morning Thai time $1,500 reason medical to Bangkok Bank (today is bank holiday in Thailand).  Received 1503 today 3 June.  First time ever same day or on a holiday.

Two transfers same amounts 1st for long stay Thailand to Bangkok Bank were received 2nd at 1402 (advised they would be 1408 as above post).  

Edited by lopburi3
correct dates
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 3:54 PM, Excel said:

Interestingly just sent to my Thai bank via transferwise and TW states it will be in my bank 2nd June. So are Thai banks closed tomorrow (1st)  ? or is something amiss with TW ?

It actualy did arrive on the 2nd. Also sent some more yesterday and as was usual, apart from that mentioned in my preceding posts, it arrived yesterday 14:04 so what ever the hiccup was it appears resolved.  In answer to others it does appear it is a BBK issue as on Sunday evening I sent some to my wifes Kbank and it was deposited at 1:05 am Monday morning. It was still designated long term stay just by way of trial.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lungbing said:

I transferred a few hundred pounds from Wise to Kasikorn this afternoon at 4.01 pm.  It arrived at 4.01 pm. 

It would help if you indicated what reason for transfer you advised to Wise. 

From USA $1,000 request 1507 today - received Bangkok Bank 1508 today - one minute.  Funds from ACH bank account in USA so unless some change no way they could have received immediately but they paid immediately although said payment by June 7 during processing.  Looks as if, at least for small amounts, transfers are/can be much faster now from US.  Reason for transfer general expense so was local bank transfer indication here.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

From USA $1,000 request 1507 today - received Bangkok Bank 1508 today - one minute.  Funds from ACH bank account in USA so unless some change no way they could have received immediately but they paid immediately although said payment by June 7 during processing.  Looks as if, at least for small amounts, transfers are/can be much faster now from US.  Reason for transfer general expense so was local bank transfer indication here.

Sounds like saying general expenses avoids the Intl manual process

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Wow....almost unbelievable especially since it was a Bank Debit (ACH) transfer from the U.S.  Normally when using the Bank Debit (ACH) method it takes a few days because of the ACH clearing time Wise imposes.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Wow....almost unbelievable especially since it was a Bank Debit (ACH) transfer from the U.S.  Normally when using the Bank Debit (ACH) method it takes a few days because of the ACH clearing time Wise imposes.

To be honest I didn't believe it and logged onto Bangkok Bank to confirm and found indeed the money was in account.  Had to be total computer process.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

To be honest I didn't believe it and logged onto Bangkok Bank to confirm and found indeed the money was in account.  Had to be total computer process.

I just had to try it based on your success.  I just sent at 3:24pm $1000 using Bank Debit (ACH) to my Bangkok Bank acct and General Monthly expenses for the reason....wanted to duplicate your transfer.  Below is what Wise is telling me as of 3:30pm....basically, I'll get it come Monday/in two days at the standard issue little after 2pm time that all of my US to Thailand transfers have posted.  And I just checked my Bangkok Bank acct to see if possibly the money showed up, but none is there.

image.png.ad2a8eab2f05a0ddb22a00beaeb06d46.png

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Did you get FTT coding?  And what partner bank shows on your Wise receipt?