Speed of Transferwise/Wise from UK

Around two years ago I requested Wise always use Bangkok Bank as their partner bank to ensure I always get FTT coding.  They said Yes to my request and hard coded my acct to always use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank.

So although I basically mirrored your $1000 transfer only minutes after you did yours I expect Wise is using Bangkok Bank as the partner bank for my transfer which means it will take at least a business day to arrive when using the Bank Debit (ACH) transfer method.

2 hours ago, dabhand said:

It would help if you indicated what reason for transfer you advised to Wise. 

Regardless of the time during a business day, I always transfer monies Wise-KBank and it arrives in seconds using the 'funds for long stay'.

Admittedly, I have only been using Wise since middle of April. I tried using Krungsri but it arrived the next business day, and talking of Krungsri, the sites are currently down.  Maybe I missed an advanced maintenance notice?

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

Around two years ago I requested Wise always use Bangkok Bank as their partner bank to ensure I always get FTT coding.  They said Yes to my request and hard coded my acct to always use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank.

So although I basically mirrored your $1000 transfer only minutes after you did yours I expect Wise is using Bangkok Bank as the partner bank for my transfer which means it will take at least a business day to arrive when using the Bank Debit (ACH) transfer method.

Suspect that may well be the reason.  But wonder if ACH has real time access now as I do not have an account with Wise - or perhaps lower value transfer they provide credit until ACH received.

20 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Regardless of the time during a business day, I always transfer monies Wise-KBank and it arrives in seconds using the 'funds for long stay'.

Are you using funds held in a Wise Borderless account or bringing them from an external account?

16 minutes ago, treetops said:

Are you using funds held in a Wise Borderless account or bringing them from an external account?

Held in a Wise Borderless account.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Have checked further - 6 hour transfer on 3rd for medical was also paid by DeeMoney (but from a different bank - USAA and $1,500) - but paid on bank holiday and same day and at same time Wise advised money received).  Two transfers I made for same amounts on 1st for long stay Thailand were paid on 2nd at normal 1400 time using Bangkok Bank as partner.  

Edited by lopburi3

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect that may well be the reason.  But wonder if ACH has real time access now as I do not have an account with Wise - or perhaps lower value transfer they provide credit until ACH received.

When you say you do not have an acct with Wise, do you mean their borderless/multi-currency acct?

16 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Held in a Wise Borderless account.

Thanks, that appears to be key in getting instant transfers if using the long term stay option.  The next day (depending on time initiated) at 2:00pm is when funded externally, from what I've seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Check of PDF receipt shows it was paid by Deemoney.

Partnering with DeeMoney makes great sense as they're both peer to peer money movers.

5 hours ago, dabhand said:

It would help if you indicated what reason for transfer you advised to Wise. 

Long term stay in Thailand, or words to that effect.  But the transfer has been marked as coming from "Dummy Branch", not international.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lungbing said:

Long term stay in Thailand, or words to that effect.  But the transfer has been marked as coming from "Dummy Branch", not international.

Believe that long term stay in Thailand will route transfer via Bangkok Bank account and they will record it as international transfer (FTT) if your account is with them.  If at another bank it may be recorded differently.  

Thanks for that Lopburi.  Should I be forced to use Wise because my own bank, HSBC, goes funny on me, then I'll have to open a Bangkok Bank account for the monthly transfers. I hope that doesn't happen.  I've been with HSBC and their predecessor The Midland Bank for nearly 60 years now, but that means nothing to them of course.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:32 PM, Pib said:

I just had to try it based on your success.  I just sent at 3:24pm $1000 using Bank Debit (ACH) to my Bangkok Bank acct and General Monthly expenses for the reason....wanted to duplicate your transfer.  Below is what Wise is telling me as of 3:30pm....basically, I'll get it come Monday/in two days at the standard issue little after 2pm time that all of my US to Thailand transfers have posted.  And I just checked my Bangkok Bank acct to see if possibly the money showed up, but none is there.

image.png.ad2a8eab2f05a0ddb22a00beaeb06d46.png

And my money arrived today/Monday at 2:02pm to Bangkok Bank.....international transfer/FTT coding.  

Another test.

£300 sent from Nationwide Account in the UK at 7.30am Thai time.

"Funds for Long term stay" to Bangkok Bank.

Arriving this afternoon. (7 hrs approximately)

RAZZ

On 6/7/2021 at 12:54 PM, ScotlandtheBrave said:

I did my monthly transfer of my little NHS pension from my Nationwide account in the UK to my Thai bank a little before 8am this morning and the transfer took less than one minute! Amazing! Rate was 44.17 Baht to the pound. 

After reading this excellent thread thumbsup.gif.df14d5ee0a3a6f810405018593f18f9d.gif, I just did my first transfer from my UK Nationwide account via my VISA Debit card to Krung Thai current account and got a rate of 44.13.

It arrived instantly - so fast in fact that my UK bank hasn't even got the transfer showing! woot.gif.49372b7532838d60ee8d3bd70dbb6015.gif 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, Pib said:

This doesn't sound all that dissimilar to what I did last September, when I asked Wise to "tag" my account with them, also with the aim of ensuring that they always used Bangkok Bank as their partner bank for FTT coding purposes. Although the perceived wisdom on here appears to be that this coding would in any event result from selecting the "Funds for long-term stay in Thailand" option, I nevertheless concluded that it was probably a prudent "belt and braces" measure for me to take.

Edited by OJAS

15 hours ago, OJAS said:

This doesn't sound all that dissimilar to what I did last September, when I asked Wise to "tag" my account with them, also with the aim of ensuring that they always used Bangkok Bank as their partner bank for FTT coding purposes. Although the perceived wisdom on here appears to be that this coding would in any event result from selecting the "Funds for long-term stay in Thailand" option, I nevertheless concluded that it was probably a prudent "belt and braces" measure for me to take.

I think the phone call request was the way to do it before the web site could be updated with the long stay option, but yes, essentially the same outcome.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

Near instantaneous transfer from HSBC Singapore to Krungsri today using PayNow. Notification from HSBC of money leaving account followed directly by Krungsri notifying money deposited. Monthly living costs was stated reason, so no faffing around with intermediary bank.

4 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Near instantaneous transfer from HSBC Singapore to Krungsri today using PayNow. Notification from HSBC of money leaving account followed directly by Krungsri notifying money deposited. Monthly living costs was stated reason, so no faffing around with intermediary bank.

Not sure what that has to do with topic or even Wise - they are linked to Thai PromptPay so should not be any delay - I had a pending Wise transfer from USA to Bangkok Bank for living costs that was received in seconds after confirming account ownership (2 deposit amounts in USA sending account) at 0836 today.

On 6/5/2021 at 4:26 PM, lopburi3 said:

It is my understanding that ACH is primarily a US domestic system. Although it can be used for international transfers it is not fully integrated globally, unlike transfers done via SWIFT or IBAN.

Seamless integration usually results in faster response times.

A global ACH involves the direct deposit of funds into a cross-border bank account through that country’s clearing mechanism. In the United States, this is NACHA. In Europe, the clearing entity is the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) and consists of 35 participating countries (with specific exclusions).

However, there is no official global system to pay suppliers via ACH in every country. That means not every country in the world will accept this form of payment. There needs to be a financial infrastructure in place when a clearing mechanism is absent.

For example, Australia has its own ACH system called Direct Entry. Other countries work out different mechanisms to accept these payments. The point being, every country banks in its own way, so it’s about matching up the U.S. systems with theirs.

https://tipalti.com/global-ach-international-ach/

• 8 months later...
1 minute ago, RAZZELL said:

Sent some today - now a two day wait until the 7th April.

RAZZ

You are in a year old thread - but if using Bangkok Bank long stay as reason cut off is normally about 0900 Thai time for deposit same day at 1400 and tomorrow is a bank holiday so first chance would be about 1400 on 7th.  If not using BBL/long stay not sure of your country normal wait - but from USA it is often less than 6 seconds in my experience.  

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You are in a year old thread - but if using Bangkok Bank long stay as reason cut off is normally about 0900 Thai time for deposit same day at 1400 and tomorrow is a bank holiday so first chance would be about 1400 on 7th.  If not using BBL/long stay not sure of your country normal wait - but from USA it is often less than 6 seconds in my experience.  

Couldn't find the newer thread.

I use "long term stay" but probably don't need too.

Will try a different version with my Bangkok Bank and see if I get it in seconds.

RAZZ

6 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Couldn't find the newer thread.

I use "long term stay" but probably don't need too.

Will try a different version with my Bangkok Bank and see if I get it in seconds.

RAZZ

Long term stay or buying a property  causes it to settle 2pm, so any of the others should work

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 4:16 PM, anchadian said:

As a foreign transfer?

On 4/5/2022 at 11:43 AM, lopburi3 said:

Started a transfer to my Bkk Bank yesterday at 6am as long term stay reason.

Sent from Wise THB Borderless Account cost Thb 30.89

Money has just been sent at 10am today and should arrive at 14.00 AS USUAL. No complaints whatsoever.

40 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Started a transfer to my Bkk Bank yesterday at 6am as long term stay reason.

Sent from Wise THB Borderless Account cost Thb 30.89

Money has just been sent at 10am today and should arrive at 14.00 AS USUAL. No complaints whatsoever.

It was a national holiday yesterday that's why the delay.

Usually, if I send before 9am Thai time from my UK bank to Bangkok Bank (Funds for Long Term stay) - it arrives same day about 2.06pm.

I will try to send a small amount with a different reason and see if it is quicker/instantaneous.

RAZZ