Thailand reports 3,394 COVID-19 cases, 29 new deaths

webfact

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yea exactly hence my question on if there are many people doing this? Its a stark contradiction from previous advice

It matches the advice I was seeing in Europe some time ago, presumably to keep people away from the hospitals. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

It matches the advice I was seeing in Europe some time ago, presumably to keep people away from the hospitals. 

Absolutely, but its a change to previous advice here where living conditions are generally not as suitable.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Doses allocated by the government through May 17:

304789371_VaccinesAllocation05-18-21.jpg.400d2ae596cbe980d77a770539e3a4ca.jpg

Seems like Sinovac is the only vaccine used in Thailand at the moment as the AZ has been standing on 115,000 for a while now, if I don't remember incorrectly.

• Confused 1

Infighting between the public health ministry and the BMA is slowing Thailand’s Covid response

Disagreements and infighting between the Ministry of Public Health and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has intensified in recent days as both try to charter a course out of the current Covid crisis, sources told Thai Enquirer on Wednesday.

Now, sources within the public health ministry and inside parliament tell Thai Enquirer that disagreements between the two largest organizations responsible for managing the situation in Bangkok are threatening the capital’s recovery.

“The governor’s office have basically told the MoPH that Bangkok is their jurisdiction and to butt out,” said a senior advisor to the Ministry of Public Health. “They have their own health advisors and are charting their own path – a path which is sometimes at odds with the ministry’s guideline.”

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27671/infighting-between-the-public-health-ministry-and-the-bma-is-slowing-thailands-covid-response/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, HOAX said:

Seems like Sinovac is the only vaccine used in Thailand at the moment as the AZ has been standing on 115,000 for a while now, if I don't remember incorrectly.

They're waiting on the locally produced supply of the AZ vaccine that's supposed to start becoming available in June.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Absolutely, but its a change to previous advice here where living conditions are generally not as suitable.

Indeed, multi generations under one roof is more an Asian thing. Bad in some ways because larger family groups mix closely with each other, good in other ways because there are basically no old age care homes, which were so at risk in the West.

I do worry a bit about temples, seeing all the old ladies together there in the morning feeding monks and then wandering home in groups with their baskets on sticks slung over their shoulders. It’s almost like a quasi care home situation, albeit just for a period in the morning. I guess it’s more a thing in rural Thailand and the lack of overall population density reduces the risk somewhat. Still, it seems an at risk area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Yep. Sure. You said that when it was 2000, 2500, 2,700. Now we are having >3k. What exactly are you trying to say. To me it seems to be bobbing around the mid to high 2000's and low to mid 3000's. Is this your definition of remaing flat? Deaths do seem to be remaing flattish around high 20's to mid 30's. Maybe this is what you mean about remaing flat but the numbers of deaths is not good. Around 200 p/w or 800 p/m.

As always, the numbers I use exclude the prison population. So, the numbers have been flat for 3 weeks now. Do you disagree?

Deaths lag new infections by up to 21 days, so we should be seeing a spike in fatalities shortly. I expect double digit fatalities through June.

Again, I have laid out these parameters and metrics many times here.

I am trying to tell you what is going to happen, based on the available numbers. Apart from making noise, do you have a point?

Just now, Danderman123 said:

As always, the numbers I use exclude the prison population. So, the numbers have been flat for 3 weeks now. Do you disagree?

Deaths lag new infections by up to 21 days, so we should be seeing a spike in fatalities shortly. I expect double digit fatalities through June.

Again, I have laid out these parameters and metrics many times here.

I am trying to tell you what is going to happen, based on the available numbers. Apart from making noise, do you have a point?

Yes I do disagree. Re-read my post.

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They're opening new field hospitals for the prisons as we speak.

And for the general population, that probably is because they just opened the new 1200 bed field hospital at Impact MTT Challenger Hall earlier this week, and it has the ability to expand up to 5,000 total beds if needed.

So in reality, the government is and has been quite busy with new field hospitals all this week.

Yes, I am ignoring the prison population in my discussions. It's possible they will open up 10 more impromptu hospitals for prisoners, but it does not impact the general population.

Cue the usual "but what about visitors to the prisons?"

In terms of the general population, no new impromptu hospitals are being discussed now.

From friends to foes: How former yellow-shirt leaders have turned against Prayut

Thai politics has taken a surprising twist amid the worsening COVID-19 crisis, with supporters of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha now joining loud calls for him to quit.

Previously seen as supporters of Prayut’s government, members of the newly formed “Prachachon Khon Thai” (The Peoples of Thailand) group have raised eyebrows by calling on the PM to make way for an outsider.

Their contention is that Prayut has failed to tackle the COVID-19 crisis properly, introduce reforms, solve corruption, and is allowing the monarchy to be insulted.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/from-friends-to-foes-how-former-yellow-shirt-leaders-have-turned-against-prayut/

Just now, dinsdale said:

Yes I do disagree. Re-read my post.

If you mix in the prison infections, then yes, cases may spike up by tens of thousands per day.

But I am discussing infections in the general population, which have remained stable for the last 3 weeks. If you want to make noise and mix the numbers between the general population and the prison population, you will do a dis-service here.

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

In terms of the general population, no new impromptu hospitals are being discussed now.

Because as I said above, they just this week opened a new 1200 bed capacity field hospital at MTT that has the capacity to go up to 5000 beds.  They wouldn't have opened it this week, if they didn't think they potentially will need it.

• Thanks 1

Prison numbers are a distraction to keep pumping out these fake numbers.

That being said, I think it is relatively difficult to get covid in Thailand if you don't use public transport and are a hermit like myself. In the past I would usually get sick twice a year, but since this covid endemic I got nothing. I have never been in better health.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because as I said above, they just this week opened a new 1200 bed capacity field hospital at MTT that has the capacity to go up to 5000 beds.  They wouldn't have opened it this week, if they didn't think they potentially will need it.

I acknowledge that a new impromptu hospital was opened a few days ago. But, my point is that no new impromptu hospitals are being discussed now, which leads me to believe that the Powers That Be consider this wave to have peaked.

However, even after a peak in new infections, hospitalizations will continue for some time, just not at the same level as before. And, for the nitpickers, by "hospitalizations" I am referring to symptomatic patients, not those in quarantine.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Many posters here seem to carry 2 mutually exclusive ideas in their heads:

The official numbers must be wrong, because Thailand’s numbers are lower than just about any other country,

and

Thailand has the official policy to hospitalize anyone found to be infected. No other country does that.

I  think it's  fair to say many posters  couldn't  care  less.

Bangkok adds a new COVID cluster for a total now of 29 locations:

05-19-21e.thumb.jpg.6698486e6419a6bfda6f40da5ee6125f.jpg

The clusters include eight local communities, nine markets, one prison complex, seven workplaces, and four worker housing complexes.

Other graphics in the link below have details of the various locations divided up into different sections of Bangkok, but all the details are in TH language.

A Bangkok government spokesman said the new cluster is from a Bang Khen area market that now has been closed.

https://www.facebook.com/earthpongsakornk/posts/524820862261147

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

What is your prediction for the trajectory of the epidemic, outside of the prison population?

2100 tomorrow  1987 tomorrow  tomorrow 2100 tomorrow tomorrow  tomorrow  2034 tmtmtmt etc etc repeat  ad  nauseum.

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

If you mix in the prison infections, then yes, cases may spike up by tens of thousands per day.

But I am discussing infections in the general population, which have remained stable for the last 3 weeks. If you want to make noise and mix the numbers between the general population and the prison population, you will do a dis-service here.

It is clear from my post and the numbers I am using that I am not talking about prisoner infections. Again if you think fluctuating between mid 2000's to mid 3000's is stable that's up to you. If anything it does now seem to be hovering in the low to mid 3000's. The last 3 wks has seen increases from low 2000's to mid 3000's. How on earth can you possibly say it's remained stable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Bangkok adds a new COVID cluster for a total now of 29 locations:

05-19-21e.thumb.jpg.6698486e6419a6bfda6f40da5ee6125f.jpg

The clusters include eight local communities, nine markets, one prison complex, seven workplaces, and four worker housing complexes.

Other graphics in the link below have details of the various locations divided up into different sections of Bangkok, but all the details are in TH language.

A Bangkok government spokesman said the new cluster is from a Bang Khen area market that now has been closed.

https://www.facebook.com/earthpongsakornk/posts/524820862261147

Impossible delete that immediately. Anutin has categorically stated this is under control!!

TIMELINE: Chonburi informs residents who visited places in relation to recent Chonburi Covid -19 cases

Som Tam restaurant in front of Poe Temple, Baan Khod, Mueang Chonburi from May 11th to May 17th from 9:00 A.M to 4:00 P.M..

Makro Food Service Laem Chabang Branch in Thung Sukhla, Si Racha on May 12th from 11 :00 A.M. to midday.

Top Market in Robinson Si Racha on May 12th from midday to 2:00 P.M..

Tesco Lotus Harbor Mall Laem Chabang on May 13th from midday to 2:00 P.M..

See Moom Mueang Market Laem Chabang Branch in Thung Sukhla, Si Racha on May 14th from 4:30 P.M.. to 4:45 P.M..

More:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/19/timeline-chonburi-informs-residents-who-visited-places-in-relation-to-recent-chonburi-covid-19-cases-2/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They're waiting on the locally produced supply of the AZ vaccine that's supposed to start becoming available in June.

Let's hope you're right and that there won't be more delays and setbacks in the rollout of non-Chinese vaccines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Let's hope you're right and that there won't be more delays and setbacks in the rollout of non-Chinese vaccines.

More set backs=more pockets filled for the CCP and their mates here.

Edited by dinsdale

32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Infighting between the public health ministry and the BMA is slowing Thailand’s Covid response

It's even worse.

-last week, order signed by Prime Minister, published in the Royal Gazette : 46 provinces now orange... Orange = school can open (among other rules).

-this week : Minister of Education: school (nationwide) will open june 14

So yes... It's a mess.

Edited by cclub75

10 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

It's even worse.

-last week, order signed by Prime Minister, published in the Royal Gazette : 46 provinces now orange... Orange = school can open (among other rules).

-this week : Minister of Education: school (nationwide) will open june 14

So yes... It's a mess.

I think it's just the dark red zones for the 14th. The others have to apply the 44 conitions whatever they are. I might be wrong. If anyone can supply info on schools nation wide being the 14th would be great. There was something about higher education centres being the 14th.

Edited by dinsdale

28 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

It is clear from my post and the numbers I am using that I am not talking about prisoner infections. Again if you think fluctuating between mid 2000's to mid 3000's is stable that's up to you. If anything it does now seem to be hovering in the low to mid 3000's. The last 3 wks has seen increases from low 2000's to mid 3000's. How on earth can you possibly say it's remained stable. 

New cases in the general population have never exceeded ~2800 in a day. New infections today were 1,896.

You seem to be mixing in the prison infections with the general population infections, which is why you are confused.

So... what is your prediction for the epidemic within the general population?

BTW, there isn't enough testing.

Edited by Danderman123