Thailand reports 3,394 COVID-19 cases, 29 new deaths

webfact

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1394895557462663168

Thai Govt #COVID19 Centre spokeswoman says they now accept medical volunteers. Call 1669 if you are medical professionals & willing. This shows the situation is severe now. #Thailand #whatishappeninginthailand #โควิด19

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Toilet turnstile blamed for 867 COVID-19 infections found in a week at Simummuang market

867 out of 10,480 vendors and workers at the Simummuang fruit and vegetable market in Pathum Thani province screened for COVID-19 by health officials, or 8%, tested positive for the virus, with most infections appearing to have come from touching the turnstile at the coin-operated public toilets in the market.

The figure followed screening of market vendors and workers between May 7th and 15th. 70% of the infected are Thais and the rest are foreign migrant workers. The infections are limited to 2 of the 10 zones in the market, according to Public Health Permanent Secretary Dr. Kiatiphum Wongrajit yesterday (Tuesday).

Dr. Kiatiphum said that the two zones have been closed off and a field hospital, with 400 beds, has been set up in the market, with another, also equipped with 400 beds, scheduled to open on Thursday.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/toilet-turnstile-blamed-for-867-covid-19-infections-found-in-a-week-at-simummuang-market/

So no one was disinfecting or cleaning things it appears.  Ouch that's gonna sting

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1394898291964272641

Bangkok found 34 clusters in 20 districts so far.

Of that, 7 clusters have more than 6 cases out of every 1,000 population including Dindaeng, Lak Si, Pom Prap Sattru Phai, Ratchathewi, Pathumwan, Khlong Toei and Huai Khwang.

#โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #WhatsHappeningInThailand

In the government's English language COVID news briefing today, government spokesman Natapanu Nopakun made no specific mention of the status of plans for walk-in vaccination centers that supposedly are being questioned by the prime minister.

However, Nopakun said government officials met Wednesday morning to discuss the details of the nation's vaccine rollout, and will meet again tomorrow afternoon to discuss the status of things, including vaccine availability for foreign nationals.

Wednesday cumulative vaccine doses update:

05-19-21f.jpg.f8875e4bbf5976ea3a5fad547de50ef6.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

https://twitter.com/prdthailand/status/1394895594846556164

PR Thai Government

Thailand government organization

Today the number of recoveries in the new wave of the outbreak has reached a new high. Medical workers are working hard to treat all patients and send them home, including village health volunteers nationwide who have a vital role to protect their communities. Kudos to them all!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Might have something to do with just about every other country is testing appropriately. Numbers are flat because they’re at their capacity. Eg — hypothetical 10% infection rate: test 100 people out of 1000 what’s the max you’d expect?

There is no data supporting a 10% infection rate, outside of the prisons.

CE0C8022-E0CE-4F8E-956C-71E796560607.jpeg

Edited by Danderman123

12 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

The numbers (not including prisons) are not stable. 

The numbers in Bangkok metropolitan area are slowly climbing. 

In the rest of the country, they have subsided. 

My prognosis:

Rooting out covid in Bangkok would require a Melbourne style lockdown (that one took almost 4 months). 

As seen in many other countries,  covid will eventually spread from the metropolis upcountry. Remote, rural areas will be hit particularly hard,  for lack of infrastructure.

This spread takes surprisingly long time.  From NYC to North Dakota, it took more than 6 month.  But covid did reach ND, and it wasn't nice. 

So let's talk again in November.

If the situation in November is better than now I will vote for you as POTY.

And I will be very happy if this happens. 

Actual data does not support your hypothesis.

I have been saying for a few weeks now that the data indicates a 5% positivity rate, but one that is not uniform around the country. Even in Bangkok, there are large areas that are virtually virus-free.

We both agree that the government is playing Whack a Mole in Bangkok, but you don’t think they will win.

I disagree. I think the virus always loses because it reveals itself when sick people go to the hospital.

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Your virologist or your back pain doctor?

Edit:  This is in reply to NCC1701A's post (sorry)

Actually the air in Bangkok is pretty good at the moment.  Maybe you should have left a few months ago when it was hazardous!

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Actual data does not support your hypothesis.

I have been saying for a few weeks now that the data indicates a 5% positivity rate, but one that is not uniform around the country. Even in Bangkok, there are large areas that are virtually virus-free.

We both agree that the government is playing Whack a Mole in Bangkok, but you don’t think they will win.

I disagree. I think the virus always loses because it reveals itself when sick people go to the hospital.

I sincerely hope you are right. 

The  map just posted looks reassuring, indeed.

Edited by Kiujunn

13 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There is no data supporting a 10% infection rate, outside of the prisons.

CE0C8022-E0CE-4F8E-956C-71E796560607.jpeg

Yes there is, plenty in some clusters, this was a selective set, others have shown well over 13% with outlining individual clusters up to 80%+

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Just a thought, are they Burmese or Thai? Not insinuating anything, just slowly piecing my jigsaw puzzle together

I have no idea but considering 98% of all known positive cases so far have the UK Variant then its a good bet its due to this.

Thailand domestic COVID cases on the first line, Bangkok province cases on the second line, and prison cases on the third line, with daily totals for each for the week of May 13-19. The subtotal figures in the far right column show the total of cases for each area since April 1, the start of the current third wave COVID outbreak in Thailand:

Screenshot_14.jpg.795654012f1fbbd7c1af9cbde49831d3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/328275842124080/?type=3

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You've already lost when that happens

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I just read on the web 50 doctors in India have just died in one day from their variant.

https://news.besthinditech.com/50-doctors-reported-dead-in-1-day-from-covid-19-across-india-medical-body/

My doctor at Bumrungrad told me to get out of Bangkok as soon as possible.  

Back to the harem I guess?The question is which one?It can be hard to choose!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The numbers for new infections (outside the prison system) remain flat. The number of hospitalizations is reducing, with over 4,000 released today.

No more talk of building impromptu field hospitals.

It seems that now the effort will be to stamp out the clusters around Bangkok.

It seems the "exponential spread" crowd has run for the hills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are we all not in the same boat here?  Many other countries are vaccinating all and anyone that wants a vaccination, yet here Nationalism takes precedence over all others, and one wonders why the script is the way it is when the world is in the middle of a pandemic.  Make you wonder if they want the foreigners to just be last, yet foreigners also work on the infrastructure of this country, and I am not just talking about us, but talking about the Migrant workers on construction sites, working in Condos as cleaners.  How do you protect any and all if the workers around you are unvaccinated and many Thais are also unvaccinated that work next to them, like the security guards and such. Such a pity that this is even an issue.

Did you somehow miss that the nationalist yellow shirts and their allies in the military overthrew the legitimate gov in May 2014? I was there and can assure you it happened. People being surprised nationalists act like nationalists is bewildering. 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes there is, plenty in some clusters, this was a selective set, others have shown well over 13% with outlining individual clusters up to 80%+

I was referring to the national positivity rate (outside of the prisons), there is no data to support a national positivity rate of 10%.

Of course, in a localized cluster, positivity rates will be higher.

BTW, there isn’t enough testing.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here is where the new large positivity rates can be found for your edification. Work camps are leading the way.

Active Covid-19 clusters reported in 16 Bangkok districts | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

Lockdown at Bangkok construction camp as up to 86% of residents test positive | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

More to come I am afraid.

Yes, in the process of winding down this wave, more clusters will be identified.

btw, there isn’t enough testing.

Edited by Danderman123

7 minutes ago, pegman said:

Did you somehow miss that the nationalist yellow shirts and their allies in the military overthrew the legitimate gov in May 2014? I was there and can assure you it happened. People being surprised nationalists act like nationalists is bewildering. 

I was here then, in 2010, and in 2006.  I did not miss a thing.  Not denying anything like you are trying to state.  The OP is on Covid and the discussion I posted to was on vaccinations.  Try your best not to derail the topic with an accusation that is based on the word I used, Nationalism.  Vaccinating Thais before others is no way to go about ensuring the country can escape a further storm of cases.  You have your view I have mine.

• Like 1