Thailand reports 3,394 COVID-19 cases, 29 new deaths

webfact

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1394895557462663168

Thai Govt #COVID19 Centre spokeswoman says they now accept medical volunteers. Call 1669 if you are medical professionals & willing. This shows the situation is severe now. #Thailand #whatishappeninginthailand #โควิด19

The govt's pandemic response center also asked for more volunteers and health professionals to help handle the growing number of patients, saying the public health system is currently "stressed." Those interested can call 1669 hotline, though Apisamai didn't specify the roles.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1394942197217206278

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 1

Phuket has announced it will ease travel restrictions and allow visitors, who have not received COVID-19 vaccines, to enter the province by land.

#vaccinated #quarantine #ข่าวด่วน #ภูเก็ต

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158025811682050

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Phuket has announced it will ease travel restrictions and allow visitors, who have not received COVID-19 vaccines, to enter the province by land.

#vaccinated #quarantine #ข่าวด่วน #ภูเก็ต

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158025811682050

Quarantine for 14 days as a domestic traveler, no thanks.

• Like 2

COVID-19 vaccine tourism emerges in Thailand as demand grows

BANGKOK: Thais who do not want to wait for the COVID-19 vaccine distribution from their government have opted for a new option to get it overseas. 

The growing demand for vaccination amid a new wave of outbreaks in the country has given rise to tour packages which let customers join the vaccination queue abroad and choose from a greater variety of vaccines to build their immunity against the coronavirus.

“People who opt for this don’t want to wait in Thailand any longer. If they have a choice and can afford the vaccination, they choose to pay instead of waiting because they don’t know for how long they’d have to do that,” said Mr Rachphol Yamsaeng, managing director of Unithai Trip.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-covid-19-vaccine-tourism-emerges-united-states-serbia-14802866

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Bangkok opens 6th field hospital as virus spreads to 16 districts

The Ratchaphiphat 2 field hospital is located in the temple school at Wat Si Sudaram Worawihan in Bangkok Noi, which is one of 16 districts battling cluster outbreaks across the capital.

"This is the first field hospital to open inside a temple with strict measures to contain the spread of Covid-19, including wastewater and garbage management," Aswin said.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001058

Yes, Brian, this is prudent, since any Covid-positive has to go to quarantine regardless of symptoms or none, unlike, I presume, the UK?

So, just monitor the field hospital bed occupancy rate to see what the situation is.   

That is not too "late in the game" wouldn't you say?

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Yes that's right. Possibly 'fake news' but let's see. These things take time to come out. Again talk or speculation about this should end here.

And dinsdale, I think you have already admitted to posting fake news on this forum.  Shame, there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, anchadian said:

COVID-19 vaccine tourism emerges in Thailand as demand grows

BANGKOK: Thais who do not want to wait for the COVID-19 vaccine distribution from their government have opted for a new option to get it overseas. 

The growing demand for vaccination amid a new wave of outbreaks in the country has given rise to tour packages which let customers join the vaccination queue abroad and choose from a greater variety of vaccines to build their immunity against the coronavirus.

“People who opt for this don’t want to wait in Thailand any longer. If they have a choice and can afford the vaccination, they choose to pay instead of waiting because they don’t know for how long they’d have to do that,” said Mr Rachphol Yamsaeng, managing director of Unithai Trip.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-covid-19-vaccine-tourism-emerges-united-states-serbia-14802866

Wouldn't it be much easier to smuggle a few vail of vaccine to Thailand and set up a jab Cafe at a second floor bar in Patpong?

Some unemployed lass from the regular bars could offer a massage, just in case certain body parts might get a little stiff, after months in social isolation. 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yet with more daily clusters being found, plus prison infections these numbers don't add up.

It seems that you are shocked that the epidemic isn’t bigger, the hospitals aren’t overwhelmed at this point, with more patients leaving than entering hospitals.

on the other hand, you probably think that the government requirement to hospitalize all positive cases doesn’t make sense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Might have something to do with just about every other country is testing appropriately. Numbers are flat because they’re at their capacity. Eg — hypothetical 10% infection rate: test 100 people out of 1000 what’s the max you’d expect?

Dave: you are so right.

We really need more TV members like you to check out the bed occupancy rate of their local hospital in Thailand.

Only that way can we prove that the government data on Covid test results are bogus.

Please report back soonest.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158026142897050

Foreigners working for any businesses in Phuket with a Phuket-registered address can now register to be vaccinated through the government mass-vaccination campaign.
The news was announced during a press conference broadcast live online this morning (May 19).

3 minutes ago, meltonpie said:

I thought we had reached some agreement based on your relentless comments about Thailand having a positivity rate of 5% ?

The link I provided yesterday from Johns Hopkins suggests that this is a level that actually requires testing to be stepped up.  I thought you had acknowledged that?

So, why does Thailand choose not to?

Is it that they don't want to spend the money? To me it would seem a wise investment.  get a real grip on what is happening take fast appropriate measures, including ramping up vaccinations and try to get the economy moving again instead of death by a thousand cuts.

Is it that they do not wish to show an increase in infections (for whatever reason)?  This is perplexing - would this be about saving face?

Is it that they do not have the capacity to do much more?  If this is the case they should invest in more for the same reasons I have already mentioned.  The concerning thing here is that they must clearly be doing a lot more testing in prisons. Does that mean that have to cut back elsewhere?

It seems to me that for all the talk of reopenings, sandboxes, starting international travel etc etc unless they can get a real fix about what is happening and be able to demonstrate it with robust data the situation will continue along the same lines for some time.  This wave has proven that Thais are not immune so they need to learn from the mistakes that have happened elsewhere and from the seemingly upbeat data regarding vaccinations.

Leaving the number of new infections and deaths aside, the Thai Government needs to do a whole pile more in order to kick start the economy.

My prediction - the numbers will come down (maybe through manipulation/lack of robustness), places will open up, the numbers will rise, places will close, rinse and repeat. Whatever the medical consequences the impact on income and business will be even more devastating.

Melton: 

All good points. 

But, instead of complaining and speculating, why not go out and check for yourself?  

You and your network of TV members could quickly clarify the Covid epidemic situation by visiting hospitals in your neighborhood and report bed occupancy rates.

That would be the most effective action you could take to prove that the government data on Covid infections are bogus.

Godspeed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Melton: 

All good points. 

But, instead of complaining and speculating, why not go out and check for yourself?  

You and your network of TV members could quickly clarify the Covid epidemic situation by visiting hospitals in your neighborhood and report bed occupancy rates.

That would be the most effective action you could take to prove that the government data on Covid infections are bogus.

Godspeed

Network?

I'm not suggesting the figures are bogus but I am suggesting that they are not robust enough.

Anyone going to a hospital at the moment without a medical need would be behaving very irresponsibly and they would be able to learn nothing about how many people that haven't presented had the virus.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, meltonpie said:

Network?

I'm not suggesting the figures are bogus but I am suggesting that they are not robust enough.

Anyone going to a hospital at the moment without a medical need would be behaving very irresponsibly and they would be able to learn nothing about how many people that haven't presented had the virus.

You can check the bed occupancy figures by asking your extensive network of Thai friends and relatives to ask the nurses and doctors at the local hospital. 

You and your pals do not need to go there.

Stay safe, Melton

27 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Farflung:  You seem to like sarcasm in your posts, and are particularly critical of those who are not screaming disaster.   

I think we are all concerned about the Covid epidemic and are trying to figure out what direction it is going to take. 

Because of the uncertainty of the situation, it is wise not to speculate one way or another.

Until you are vaccinated, the best advice is to protect yourself and your household by sheltering in place and practicing standard prevention guidelines.

If you really feel that the government is covering up the data on Covid infections and deaths, then please go visit your local hospital to check bed occupancy and report back. 

Also, please encourage your network of followers to do the same around the country.

Then, you will have a better sense of the actual situation and can report that on the forum.

I do enjoy a bit of sarcasm and humour in my posts as it helps keep the mood up.I'm usually critical of name callers who use name calling as a primary weapon in a debate.I can take any side in a debate to explore more possibilities so probably best not to take to seriously in anything I say.I also have as long as I can remember liked to ask questions particularly annoying ones most of us shy away from.You can make all the judgement or even speculate on my  stance on the best way to handle the pandemic.There are some of us here that swear they've already had the virus and it has been discussed ad infinitum.As for speculation perhaps you'll enlighten me as to why it's unwise to speculate and why are you telling me this?And when has wisdom had anything to do with a covid debate?

I've already checked the hospitals and the ones I checked are all full as I've already 

mentioned and have been for 20 years that I've been checking, perhaps you thought I was joking well think again as I've been a regular visitor to hospitals.I actually thought you were joking when you first proposed this idea then I realised you were actually serious.

As for the "network of followers" I like your style of humour so I'll pay that one.About the only sense I get with this pandemic in Thailand is Thailand is ranked 104th for transparency and corruption.I'm not going to get a true sense of the pandemic here and very few others will either no matter how many hospital beds I look at.See when the name calling stops we can discuss things.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I do enjoy a bit of sarcasm and humour in my posts as it helps keep the mood up.I'm usually critical of name callers who use name calling as a primary weapon in a debate.I can take any side in a debate to explore more possibilities so probably best not to take to seriously in anything I say.I also have as long as I can remember liked to ask questions particularly annoying ones most of us shy away from.You can make all the judgement or even speculate on my  stance on the best way to handle the pandemic.There are some of us here that swear they've already had the virus and it has been discussed ad infinitum.As for speculation perhaps you'll enlighten me as to why it's unwise to speculate and why are you telling me this?And when has wisdom had anything to do with a covid debate?

I've already checked the hospitals and the ones I checked are all full as I've already 

mentioned and have been for 20 years that I've been checking, perhaps you thought I was joking well think again as I've been a regular visitor to hospitals.I actually thought you were joking when you first proposed this idea then I realised you were actually serious.

As for the "network of followers" I like your style of humour so I'll pay that one.About the only sense I get with this pandemic in Thailand is Thailand is ranked 104th for transparency and corruption.I'm not going to get a true sense of the pandemic here and very few others will either no matter how many hospital beds I look at.See when the name calling stops we can discuss things.

Farflung:  Thank you for your thoughtful response. 

Could you please name the Thai hospitals you have been monitoring for bed occupancy so that we don't have duplication, whereby TV members go to the same place?

The most efficient approach would be if we had about 50 TV members covering all regions of the country reporting bed occupancy rates, perhaps on weekly basis, and only when a significant change occurs.

For the fifth day in a row, health officials on Koh Samui are reporting zero new infections. Out of 83 infections since 11 April, only 15 remain in hospital #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1394989738709430273

Congratulations to Phuket for having ZERO new infections today. At the moment they only have 124 patients in hospital #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1394991645465079812

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Any update on serious hospitalized and ICU?

"... the number of COVID positive patients in various kinds of hospital facilities dropped from 42,988 to 41,903 for the latest day. But the number of patients in critical condition rose by 60 to 1,210, while the share of those on respirators rose by 18 to 402."

from my OP post at the beginning of this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yOqTQ5Xu_normal.jpg

Good to see that the holiday islands of Samui & Phuket had zero new #COVID19 infections today. The vaccination rollout is also proceeding well I’m told. I read the other day that all of the staff at Anantara hotels on both Samui & Phuket have already been vaccinated #Thailand
Quote Tweet

-XaRPeId_mini.jpg

Thai News Reports

@ThaiNewsReports
· 36m
Congratulations to Phuket for having ZERO new infections today. At the moment they only have 124 patients in hospital #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

Bhumjaithai’s spokesman, Paradorn Prissanananthakul, criticized Prime Minister Prayut’s decision to overturn the walk-in vaccination policy. He said if people wait to use the Mor Phrom app then everyone will catch covid. #วัคซีนโควิด #วัคซีนโควิด19

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1394999107580678145

CCSA informed that a small mtg of gov. agencies this morning discussed the vaccine registration system for foreign nationals, who are not on any school, uni, org, or company’s vac list. The issue will be further discussed at a big mtg tmr afternoon. Pls stay tuned for updates.

https://twitter.com/Diplographer/status/1394993855758434314

41 minutes ago, anchadian said:

You make me laugh TaoNow, criticizing other members and telling them to clarify the Covid-19 situation.

You being an outsider. i.e not resident in Thailand, I doubt you would do the necessary checking if you were here.

There's a name for you, but it would be foolish to mention it on this forum.

It's not easy to make people laugh did I mention that liked his style of humour?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Yes, Brian, this is prudent, since any Covid-positive has to go to quarantine regardless of symptoms or none, unlike, I presume, the UK?

So, just monitor the field hospital bed occupancy rate to see what the situation is.   

That is not too "late in the game" wouldn't you say?

Please do your own monitoring to ensure you are kept up to speed, if you are so convinced that this is the best way.

EDIT: I am enjoying a good laugh every time I read your posts to me so thank you for that. Particularly when you told me you don't even live here ????

Edited by Bkk Brian