Need help choosing my first long term health insurance

Tayaout

I'm used to universal health care so it's a bit confusing finding the right health insurance.

I'm almost 40 with no pre-condition (I don't drink or smoke) on marriage visa and will probably spend the rest of my life in Thailand. I have plenty of saving and don't mind paying directly for anything that is less than 1,000,000 baht. I would prefer the lowest premium and highest deductible in order to have the lowest monthly/yearly payment. I want to get insured mostly for something catastrophic like cancer and pay the rest myself. I also need insurance that won't stop covering me when I'm old.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by Tayaout
Add details

Guaranteed renewal is, as you've mentioned, a key issue, as is renewal at a sensible cost increase in your later years. I'm not sure you will be able to get all those things satisfactorily in Thailand. Whilst the cost of insurance during your younger years will be cheaper with a Thai policy, the guarantee of what happens in later years may only be achieved by using an overseas company where regulation is stronger.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

This is about a year old...I hope it helps

2002835651_ScreenShot2562-12-19at10_43_02.png.dac2654cfe5d6639f9b1cdd32e4a3daa.png.a181101befba09c1b8a66b5a2c8c87be.png216251197_ScreenShot2562-12-19at10_43_14.png.44eba018f1d4579f07eb57d9761382ee.png.f67603fc7237aa451674c22fdb292d3c.png

Thanks it helps a lot but in the end it doesn't look very advantageous if I already have the money to cover myself and it's not required with my visa.

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

This is about a year old...I hope it helps

2002835651_ScreenShot2562-12-19at10_43_02.png.dac2654cfe5d6639f9b1cdd32e4a3daa.png.a181101befba09c1b8a66b5a2c8c87be.png216251197_ScreenShot2562-12-19at10_43_14.png.44eba018f1d4579f07eb57d9761382ee.png.f67603fc7237aa451674c22fdb292d3c.png

I may be wrong but that looks like a chart of the 400k/40k plans needed for visa renewal rather than bonefide pucker health insurance plans. 

Just to add, in case the op is not aware, Viriyah has a consistently strong name in the insurance industry here, they are highly reputable.

1 minute ago, Brierley said:

I may be wrong but that looks like a chart of the 400k/40k plans needed for visa renewal rather than bonefide pucker health insurance plans. 

Just to add, in case the op is not aware, Viriyah has a consistently strong name in the insurance industry here, they are highly reputable.

You may be right ! But hopefully the company listing can help the poster start his research...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think that you may find that offshore insurers that specialize in expatriate health insurance offer better products at better prices when it comes to in-patient only, high deductible plans with high coverage amounts.

As above. In addition, western based insurers come under the insurance regulations of the country where they are based which is advantageous. Among other things, Thai insurance regulations allow companies to raise rates by as much as 25% at a time if there has been a large claim - this is in addition to age related increases. And, to be frank, Thai insurers can tend not to be very professional/sophisticated when it comes to the intake review of medical history and later determinations. It is common for them to wait until there is a claim then dig around for proof it might be related to a pre-existing condition and the person who makes that determination often has absolutely  no medical training, just works off a chart and I've seen some pretty amazing leaps of "logic" as a result. (Fir example a person with GERD being assumed to have pre-exisitng cardiac problem because the chart the person had apparently listed cardiac problems as a n occasional complication of hiatal hernia which was one of the causes of GERD...yo uget the idea).

International companies by contrast use more precise language in their questionnaires, have medical staff who review applications, and cannot/will not exclude as pre-exisitng anything they did  list as excluded when they issued  t the time the policy is issued, assuming you answered all questions honestly at intake.

At your age you have a huge range of choice.

You should go through a broker, doesn't cost more, they will help you compare options, and help later with claims if necessary. I use AA Brokers, they have expat staff and I have found them very good  wwww.aainsure.net

You'll want to give the broker some clear parameters. I would suggest the following:

- internationally issued policy

-direct payment arrangements with Thai hospitals

-good track record for promptly approving claims

-deductible and/or copay options

-guaranteed lifetime renewal

-inpatient only but includes cover for outpatient cancer treatment, dialysis and day surgery

in addition to the above you need to tell the broker what geographical coverage you need. Options include worldwide including US (most expensive), worldwide excluding US, worldwide excluding more countries, Asia only, SE Asia only. (Only some plans have the Asis/SEA only option). Figure out what it is you need i.e. do you travel much in the region?  Another factor is whether, if the policy is geographically restricted, it will cover outside the coverage zone for emergency care during short trips (many will).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1