Thai businessman arrested for exchanging fake US dollars - he denies 1.2 million baht fraud

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: INN

INN reported that officers from the Crime Suppression Division served an arrest warrant for fraudulently changing fake foreign currency on a 42 year old Thai businessman.

Thanat (surname withheld) was arrested in the parking lot of a bank in the Ladprao area of Chatuchak, Bangkok yesterday.

He was named in a warrant issued by the south Bangkok court in October of last year. 

The case relates to October of 2019 when Thanat allegedly knowingly exchanged 390 fake $US 100 bills at an exchange company for 1.2 milllion baht.

The company only did a sight test and thought they were real. Subsequent analysis revealed they were fake. 

The company tried to get their money back but Thanat refused. He then disappeared. 

INN said he was involved in buidling office blocks. 

After the exchange company went to the authorities the police tried to locate the suspect and information received recently led them to Ladprao.

Thanat denied everything and was handed over to the custody of the Lumpini police in central Bangkok.  

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-19

Edited by metisdead
Corrected the sum of $US 100 bills to 390
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The case relates to October of 2019 when Thanat allegedly knowingly exchanged 39 fake $US 100 bills

nearly 2 years ago ? Least we know if we ever did the same we'd be safe in getting out of the country before they got off their bottoms. 

I thought money exchange companies have those machines which can detect whether a note is real or fake? 

The last time I exchanged money , they put my bills into the machine....

Edited by EricTh