Charity fraud under the spotlight as #fakepoverty goes viral

webfact

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijMh1LICkl6052PZtu6CYMIuBTl2sw.jpg

An 18-year-old girl (R) in Mahasarakham that received several millions baht after her story broke out in the media.

Thais’ generosity has never been lacking when it comes to pleas for donations. And thanks to mobile banking, money can now be transferred almost immediately to people in need. But occasionally, recipients turn out to be less deserving of our charity than they first appeared.  

Earlier this month, it took an 18-year-old girl just four days to raise several million baht after she spoke to media about her dream to overcome abject poverty and become a doctor. Netizens’ hearts were touched by her successful battle to win a place at Mahasarakham University’s Faculty of Medicine.

However, her story quickly unraveled under public scrutiny as it became clear she was not really that poor. Photos surfaced showing the would-be-medic owned dental braces, an iPad, and several expensive perfumes, items some of the donors couldn’t afford themselves.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/charity-fraud-under-the-spotlight-as-fakepoverty-goes-viral/

Logo-top-.png

3 hours ago, smedly said:

looks like there are people wanting a share like lawyer James

they should leave this girl alone, pretty obvious her family are far from well off

As I posted earlier, ask your spouse to translate some of the Thai language media surrounding this subject because there is much more going on than you can read in english media:

- her brother just got elected for a local government spot: getting into politics in Thailand is rather expensive

- the gf/wife of the brother drives around in a brand-new car with red number plates on it

- on her social media this girl has been promoting underground lotteries (illegal)

- the story regarding that she needed an ipad to study and got the perfume cheap as it was used, sounds more fishy than my somtam. 

I think that we can agree that IF she has been lying about her abilities to pay for the study and therefore got donations from people who are worse off, those people should have a chance of getting their money back and she should possibly be punished in case that broke a law. 

• Like 2

If you want to see fraud and corruption, go look at the government. You likely can find both happening

there on a fairly regular basis, especially corruption.  Seems to be easier than to be totally honest.

I guess there is a reason that I have seldom wanted to send anything to a go fund me cause.

I donate to established organizations  like  Childrens Hospital in Calgary., in Canada, and when I am in Thailand

when I see a hospital group looking for donations, I am generous.

Geezer

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

She should've come here asking for funds to get a boob-job.  Half the members here would've kicked-in some baht!

Free massage therapy can help, both before and after surgery.  I was an aspiring booboligist in college.  But after med school and marriage, I became a proctologist in the end. Larger client base.