A Little Story About Karma

Soph

Yesterday, whilst sat in town waiting for my boyfriend, I got talking to a Buddhist monk (English guy) who was doing the rounds raising money for a local childrens home. We had a really good chat about Buddhism etc, and in the end, I ended up donating some money, and also offering to volunteer some time to work with their scheme (okay, so I did it cos it would help me with my course/CV etc).

My boyfriend arrived and we finished the conversation, and off we went in the sunshine for a picnic on the park. About 3 hours later I went to my bag to find my phone (un-insured) and it was gone. I knew immediately it was lost, and I had left it on the steps in the Nottinghams busy market square. As far as I was concerned, it was gone for good, and I was just a wee bit angry with myself for being so dizzy.

Rushed back to the square and called my number, just hoping. On the third call a guy picked up - he had found my phone, and had waited around town all day hoping I would return - he had even tried to call my Dad to see if he could contact me somehow!

Went and met the guy, and took him for a pint! It just got me thinking about Karma, as I felt I was doing a good deed that day. And in return something good happened to me.

As far as im concerned I was bloody lucky to get the phone back - especially leaving it in Notts city centre - there was a group of about 10 Chavs sat just next to me, and really they could have picked it up and run me up a super phone bill!

Anyway, just thought id share that with you, as it certainly got me thinking. Not sure if I can afford to donate much more money to charity, but will certianly be doing some voluntary work in the future.

Gouranga!

Yesterday, whilst sat in town waiting for my boyfriend, I got talking to a Buddhist monk (English guy) who was doing the rounds raising money for a local childrens home. We had a really good chat about Buddhism etc, and in the end, I ended up donating some money, and also offering to volunteer some time to work with their scheme (okay, so I did it cos it would help me with my course/CV etc).

My boyfriend arrived and we finished the conversation, and off we went in the sunshine for a picnic on the park. About 3 hours later I went to my bag to find my phone (un-insured) and it was gone. I knew immediately it was lost, and I had left it on the steps in the Nottinghams busy market square. As far as I was concerned, it was gone for good, and I was just a wee bit angry with myself for being so dizzy.

Rushed back to the square and called my number, just hoping. On the third call a guy picked up - he had found my phone, and had waited around town all day hoping I would return - he had even tried to call my Dad to see if he could contact me somehow!

Went and met the guy, and took him for a pint! It just got me thinking about Karma, as I felt I was doing a good deed that day. And in return something good happened to me.

As far as im concerned I was bloody lucky to get the phone back - especially leaving it in Notts city centre - there was a group of about 10 Chavs sat just next to me, and really they could have picked it up and run me up a super phone bill!

Anyway, just thought id share that with you, as it certainly got me thinking. Not sure if I can afford to donate much more money to charity, but will certianly be doing some voluntary work in the future.

Gouranga!

Hiya Soph! Glad you got your phone back safely! I am from Notts and reading your post here made me smile, there are really Buddhist monks walking around 'Slab Square'?!

Things musta changed a while since I was here in Thailand! Anyway chokdee and keep up the good karma!

KD :o (Niki)

Thanks KD! And yep market square has certianly changed, for the better, its beautiful now and yes there are a few monks knocking round (along with the usual tramps/chavs/big issue sellers/robin hood lookalikes etc) Great fun on a sunny day!

Since living in the los , ( from derby) its opened my eyes and mind about karma, its spooky sometimes, like the othere day was at a temple with my daughter feeding the fish ,she was wearing a pretty hat ,, gust of wind came by and it ended upin the river ,, so as she started to cry this monk walked over and pulled out a realy nice hat and said this was givin to me a couple of hours ago but its to small and gave it to her ,,, :o

Thanks KD! And yep market square has certianly changed, for the better, its beautiful now and yes there are a few monks knocking round (along with the usual tramps/chavs/big issue sellers/robin hood lookalikes etc) Great fun on a sunny day!

Any idea which sect the monks are from? FWBO (Friends of the Western Buddhist Order)? What colour are their robes?

Any idea which sect the monks are from? FWBO (Friends of the Western Buddhist Order)? What colour are their robes?

Sorry Camerata, I took in so much information during our conversation, I didnt catch the full name - will know more next week as I am due to spend a day at one of the children's centres. As for robes, well he was wearing normal clothes (I presume as he was around the city) I did notice his fantastic socks and sandals combo though!!!