Laptop to TV

lelapin

I had the same problem with my old laptop and I bought a USB to HDMI converter.  

They are not expensive .   Or if you have a smart TV with wi-fi you can connect your Laptop to the TV without a cable , but the quality will not be the same. 

This one from Amazon is $6. 

61zBDzsATgL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

Edited by balo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

What about a Google Chromecast?  

Good idea. Plug it into the back of your TV (HDMI port) and then cast from your latop, android or (with restrictions cos it's Apple) Iphone or Ipad to your TV (have a decent Wifi enabled 5-10Mbits/sec mininum)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Good idea. Plug it into the back of your TV (HDMI port) and then cast from your latop, android or (with restrictions cos it's Apple) Iphone or Ipad to your TV (have a decent Wifi enabled 5-10Mbits/sec mininum)

This is the best answer. You don't even need a laptop, you can do it with the phone or tablet. You don't even have to buy Chromecast, chinese copies on Lazada are in the 160 Baht range. Work great.

Given the cable and the TV work with another laptop, as you surmised, the most likely problem is the HDMI port has gone.

Unless it's something really simple like a cracked solder joint on the connector, that's usually not easily repairable (or at least not economically). Possibly an exception if it's an apple laptop as they're overpriced, and also common enough that people have the specific parts.

Other options

check the ports on the laptop - you may find a mini-displayport output or a thunderbolt - either of which can use a cable to convert to HDMI for the TV. (If you have the model number and manufacturer, that's probably easy to find out even if you no longer have the manual).
If you are using it to watch movies, etc. casting on the network can work if the TV is on your home network as well.

Personally, I'm not a fan of USB to HDMI adapters, except for occasional usage - because they can have problems with how quickly they can update the screen. It would be fine if you're just using it to display your desktop, but not so great for movies or games. (but it's a 6 year old laptop, so if games were important for it, you'd be using any excuse to upgrade...)

If it's a cheap 6 year old laptop - it's probably cheaper to just buy a new cheap laptop than get it fixed - it will be faster, use less power, probably quieter, and probably have a better screen. If it was an expensive laptop 6 years ago, then it's a harder decision as a new cheap laptop may not be an improvement.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 4:32 PM, lelapin said:

It works with an old laptop I have

Mine has gone when using it at different hotel TV have you tried to hock it up to another TV  buy a new graphic card on lazada a good one is only 600 baht 

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 8:35 PM, nglodnig said:

Yes, and it's wireless, so the laptop can be anywhere in the room, and also the OP can minimize the casting window, open another window, and still use the laptop for other things.  

• Like 1