When should one begin the passport renewal process?

2 hours ago, danferguson said:

Any suggestions for a Pattaya-based agent that can do a UK passport renewal??

If you have other reasons to regularly go to Bangkok, then I understand doing it yourself probably not too difficult.

But if you don't want to travel to Bangkok twice, and you have plenty of time, probably easier to use an agent.

https://www.thaivisa-express.com/

Check with your local immigration office to confirm that they will transfer your existing visas to your new passport.  Ask them what information they require at that office.  If you time it right you can get your annual visa extension (if you have a retirement visa) to match up with the transfer process.  If you are in the position of juggling your bank balance to have sufficient funds for the annual renewal this might be important.  My passport renewal and transfer of my visa was a couple of years ago and they wanted proof of income at that time and would have required the same a few months later.  It worked out OK in the end but I had a couple of months of being careful.  I had a UK passport renewed and a Canadian one too, both in BKK.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:58 AM, khunjeff said:

Members have done their best to help, but it's impossible to give you useful information unless you tell us which country's passport you're applying for.

It's UK obviously.. hence why I am posting in the British consulate forum.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, andrewfenn said:

It's UK obviously.. hence why I am posting in the British consulate forum.. 

Probably most people, like me, don't look at what forum the thread is in. I had not and I had replied "if Australian".....

So not always obvious.

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, Old Croc said:

The OP was simply asking advice about timelines, not seeking your direct action.

As the Embassy website was consulted, and your site where the questions were placed, you could have proffered  something useful for one of your nationals.

At the end of the day there's IMHO absolutely nothing useful that anyone can proffer about a passport renewal process which is fundamentally flawed with its cumbersomely bureaucratic and antediluvian requirements - and for which Her Majesty's Passport Office back in the UK are solely responsible for inflicting on us poor Brits needing new passports here in Thailand. Joined-up government as a concept is, unfortunately, now completely dead in the water as far the UK government is concerned, with each component part, including Her Majesty's Passport Office and the Embassy as separate parts, these days acting under strict orders from the Cabinet Office, who are responsible for how the UK government machine operates across the board, to restrict their activities solely to the requirements of their particular silo, with blinkers firmly attached so as to avoid the possibility of "undesirable" sideways glances arising into the responsibilities of other silos!

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

At the end of the day there's IMHO absolutely nothing useful that anyone can proffer about a passport renewal process which is fundamentally flawed with its cumbersomely bureaucratic and antediluvian requirements - and for which Her Majesty's Passport Office back in the UK are solely responsible for inflicting on us poor Brits needing new passports here in Thailand. Joined-up government as a concept is, unfortunately, now completely dead in the water as far the UK government is concerned, with each component part, including Her Majesty's Passport Office and the Embassy as separate parts, these days acting under strict orders from the Cabinet Office, who are responsible for how the UK government machine operates across the board, to restrict their activities solely to the requirements of their particular silo, with blinkers firmly attached so as to avoid the possibility of "undesirable" sideways glances arising into the responsibilities of other silos!

Apart from the need to go to Bangkok (or Chiang Mai) I fail to see what the issue is.  Even the requirement to physically hand in the application and then collect the new passport, can be overcome by using an agent.  All in all, it's a fairly straightforward and (pre-Covid anyway) efficient process.

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Apart from the need to go to Bangkok (or Chiang Mai) I fail to see what the issue is.  Even the requirement to physically hand in the application and then collect the new passport, can be overcome by using an agent.  All in all, it's a fairly straightforward and (pre-Covid anyway) efficient process.

What, you mean you don't think the process is antediluvian?   555, nor I, done it twice, no issues whatsoever.  I was perhaps unfortunate as had a stolen passport otherwise like most people would have only had to do this once in 10 years.

Renewing a Swedish passport usually takes 6 days-2 weeks in Bangkok (last time I applied Friday morning and could pick up my new passport Thursday), while it takes about 6 months for my South African friends to do the same thing. So the process time is really different from country to country!

On 5/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, Old Croc said:

The OP was simply asking advice about timelines, not seeking your direct action.

As the Embassy website was consulted, and your site where the questions were placed, you could have proffered  something useful for one of your nationals.

And when they say the passport should arrive within 10 weeks and it takes 11 the poison will be thrown at the British Consular Team for not providing a correct answer. Someone will of course demand blood !!!

OR... we can find out from the correct source - it's pretty simple really. 

IF I were working for the British Consular Team I would only be prepared to answer the questions specifically within my remit the accuracy of which I am accountable for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And when they say the passport should arrive within 10 weeks and it takes 11 the poison will be thrown at the British Consular Team for not providing a correct answer. Someone will of course demand blood !!!

IF I were working for the British Consular Team I would only be prepared to answer the questions specifically within my remit the accuracy of which I am accountable for. 

And you'd be right.  The British Consular team have nothing to do with UK passport renewals.  

On 5/31/2021 at 10:47 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Previously I renewed my passport on a trip back to the UK, presumably that can't be done once you have a retirement extension? as visas need to be transferred to the new passport at Immigration

That's not a problem.  You enter on the new passport based upon the extension/re-entry permit in the old.  Then go to immigration to transfer the extension.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

That's not a problem.  You enter on the new passport based upon the extension/re-entry permit in the old.  Then go to immigration to transfer the extension.

and customs are ok with that? sounds a bit pragmatic for them

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sounds like you would be a good fit in the British Diplomatic "Service".

Do some research on traditional duties of a consulate, or consular section in an Embassy, and you will find they basically provide a service to their citizens overseas, including provision of passports.

To ask a question about passports and expect an answer from a consular website is not unreasonable. To come in late on your own consular website, set up specifically to provide a service to citizens,  only to say we don't do that now and others have answered for us, is unreasonable.

Many governments these days outsource much of their traditional duties claiming economic savings as an election ploy. A false economy, that has the effect of raising prices for the hapless consumer. 

Outsourcing tasks away from a central government can also have the effect of disjointed and  untimely responses in times of national crises. Case in point the incredibly inept (criminal?) efforts of many countries when the pandemic hit.

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Do some research on traditional duties of a consulate, or consular section in an Embassy, and you will find they basically provide a service to their citizens overseas, including provision of passports.

To ask a question about passports and expect an answer from a consular website is not unreasonable. To come in late on your own consular website, set up specifically to provide a service to citizens,  only to say we don't do that now and others have answered for us, is unreasonable.

Many governments these days outsource much of their traditional duties claiming economic savings as an election ploy. A false economy, that has the effect of raising prices for the hapless consumer. 

Outsourcing tasks away from a central government can also have the effect of disjointed and  untimely responses in times of national crises. Case in point the incredibly inept (criminal?) efforts of many countries when the pandemic hit.

I think you'll find that's what the OP did.  He enquired here (the UK Consulate Q&A page) and got the answer that renewing UK passports from abroad comes under the auspices of HMPO who can be contacted via VFS in Bangkok or direct in Liverpool, England.

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think you'll find that's what the OP did.  He enquired here (the UK Consulate Q&A page) and got the answer that renewing UK passports from abroad comes under the auspices of HMPO who can be contacted via VFS in Bangkok or direct in Liverpool, England.

Why don't you read the post I was responding to.

A bit off topic as not referring to UK passport renewal, but Australian.

I applied at the honarary consular on 18th May, next day I received and email from the Embassy in Bangkok. Application is then sent to the Australian passports office for processing. I received an email on the 1st June from them saying passport printed. So that was 2 weeks. See how long it takes to get to Bangkok Embassy then to Consular here in Chiang Mai. 

As a further sideline the consular told me that the Australian passport is the most expensive in the world and also the most lost and most stolen. 51% of Australians hold a passport.  

Todays trivia finished.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Your chip on the shoulder is misplaced. 

You sound like one of those who expect the British Consular services to spoon-feed them.

Provision of information of passport renewal is not the remit of the British Consular team, the information is readily available and more accurate than the consular team can answer as for each individual there are a serious of further questions which need answering before an accurate answer can be provided. 

You are probably one of those who expect the British Embassy to vaccinate them while in the same breath complain about the ’nanny state’ back home... 

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2021 at 9:09 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Yup, was very helpful. Just needed to know when I needed to start and was answered right away. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 8:00 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

In that case I would strongly recommend that you (in common with everyone else who believes that the current UK passport renewal procedures from Thailand are the best thing since sliced bread) take a read of the following thread and contrast the relative ease and grace with which our American cousins are faced at passport renewal time with the cumbersomely overbearing procedures which HMPO have chosen to inflict on us poor Brits:-

On 6/6/2021 at 10:46 PM, OJAS said:

In that case I would strongly recommend that you (in common with everyone else who believes that the current UK passport renewal procedures from Thailand are the best thing since sliced bread) take a read of the following thread and contrast the relative ease and grace with which our American cousins are faced at passport renewal time with the cumbersomely overbearing procedures which HMPO have chosen to inflict on us poor Brits:-

[ the cumbersomely overbearing procedures which HMPO have chosen to inflict on us poor Brits]

Are you for real ? Renewing a passport is a very simple process., 

1 photo and 1 form - that’s it. 

In and out of VFS within 10mins.

I rewned my passport in Oct and recieved the new passport after 4 weeks.

If you find renewing a UK passport a cumbersome and overbearing process I wonder how you have managed to struggle through life !!!!