Options for my child's education

gracious

I am thinking about educating my two boys in a Thai government school.  Cost and education seem to be a great fit.  I have an online business, so I would get guardian visa for the family.  Any experiences/pitfalls I should be aware of?

9 hours ago, gracious said:

I am thinking about educating my two boys in a Thai government school.  Cost and education seem to be a great fit.  I have an online business, so I would get guardian visa for the family.  Any experiences/pitfalls I should be aware of?

Quality of education in Thai schools aren't great compared to Western countries, quite the opposite.  There are also huge differences in the quality of government schools, some classes have 50 students.  Where are you from and what schools are you looking at for your children?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, gracious said:

Coming from USA.  Kids are about a year old. Planning on moving in 2022/3.  Thinking of sending both boys to Mae Rim or Mae Kat.  

They are places not schools.

Have you researched the schools? 2 years old is a wee bit early for schools.  

16 hours ago, gracious said:

Coming from USA.  Kids are about a year old. Planning on moving in 2022/3.  Thinking of sending both boys to Mae Rim or Mae Kat.  

555......I came to Thailand with that same idea.  My two luk krung kids were 4 & 2 at the time and their Thai Mom was happy to be coming home after a number of years abroad.  12 years later when they were 16 & 14 we returned to our home country.  Well, my home country anyway.  

On 5/6/2021 at 10:08 PM, gracious said:

[Any experiences/pitfalls I should be aware of?]

Yes... the huge pitfall would be quality of education your children would get in a government school. 

Any Thai who can afford it does not send their children to a government school for the very real reason that the standard of education at such schools is incredibly limited and basic.

Look for the best international school you can afford. 

This is going to be an unpopular statement: Too many people compromise on the education of their children so they can live in Thailand, this impacts the child's future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stament said:

They are places not schools.

Have you researched the schools? 2 years old is a wee bit early for schools.  

They are not really schools in the sense that we imagine, for two year olds they are nurseries and kindergartens in some cases attached to schools. 

The children learn independence and social skills etc.

At two years old we place our Son in a nursery at an international school for mornings per week. He absolutely loved it.