Chicken fence

I have decided enough is enough, I am going to build a chicken free zone on our yard. The Mother in-laws chickens destroy everything. And the neighbors birds on the other side sneak over too.

Unfortunately it is going to be quite long,  maybe 300 meters in total, so I am quite keen on limiting the expense. I hoping to make something about 2 meters tall. I am quite handy, so I can build whatever. I am interested in what are the most cost effective materials. Not a huge fan of the dark plastic shade cloths people sometimes use.

37 minutes ago, sateuk said:

This is cheap and good we use it

Screenshot_20210520_114155.jpg

That looks like the perfect thing. 

Love the description, it says it is suitable to enclose two chicks and a big cock on demand

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Dogs will try to dig under the net.
What will you do to help prevent wild birds from eating their feed, also don't forget the chickens will need a water supply.     Nest boxes ?
Just how many chickens do you have ?

He wants to keep the chickens away from him as they are not his, and they are destroying his garden

• Like 2

You could try an electric fence ,you will need 3-4 strands ,it will keep dogs out as well ,chickens will go under or though a fence, more than over one.

Wife said it will not work ,but if set up right and the wire is very tight it will work . 

On 5/20/2021 at 5:23 AM, canuckamuck said:

I have decided enough is enough, I am going to build a chicken free zone on our yard. The Mother in-laws chickens destroy everything. And the neighbors birds on the other side sneak over too.

Build a wall, and make your mother-in-law pay for it.

• Haha 2

On 5/20/2021 at 12:49 PM, djayz said:

Just how high can they fly? How high does the fence need to be? 

They do not really fly, more like an assisted jump. But they do go quite high as they often live in trees.

As far as a fence is concerned the best bet is to fold the netting out a bit at the top toward their direction, about 200 mm should be ok. A bit like a military fence.

They are a bit thick and will attempt to get over from the bottom of the fence.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, sateuk said:

He wants to keep the chickens away from him as they are not his, and they are destroying his garden

Some are his mother in laws chickens and his neighbours dogs also visit.
If the net ( use wire ) is buried part below ground it will help prevent dogs from either side gining access to the chickens.
To keep chickens from the neighbours visiting ( and his own birds visiting his neighbour ) the net needs to be at least 250cm above ground level, an alternative that will help is to clip the birds wing feathers.
Of course it's always important to keep other birds out, disease ( if your neighbour doen't vaccinate his birds ), stealing of feed if there is access to feed on your side.

Nest boxes ?
Think if you are willing to pay for a fence you should take a holistic approach to the whole issue.

On 5/21/2021 at 6:57 AM, Speedo1968 said:

Dogs will try to dig under the net.
What will you do to help prevent wild birds from eating their feed, also don't forget the chickens will need a water supply.     Nest boxes ?
Just how many chickens do you have ?

I am just trying to keep the chickens off out half of the yard. I am not worried about dogs. The chickens aren't  mine, and if they all died overnight, I would have a party. So won't be considering their needs. There is probably 50 of them, the herd gets culled from time to time. Their main purpose in life seems to be to dig up every valuable plant and to <deleted> on my doorstep.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I am just trying to keep the chickens off out half of the yard. I am not worried about dogs. The chickens aren't  mine, and if they all died overnight, I would have a party. So won't be considering their needs. There is probably 50 of them, the herd gets culled from time to time. Their main purpose in life seems to be to dig up every valuable plant and to <deleted> on my doorstep.

Confused, you mentioned mother-in-laws chickens and your neighbours in your original post.

Build a fence and protect YOUR yard, it probably won't help relationships with your family, just try to suggest it's for health reasons.     You may loose out on "free" eggs but I agree with the intention of keeping a clean space.     Good luck.