School says they cant give me a work permit

Hey you guys, I am trying to figure out what's going on, and just let me give you the info that I have and tell me what it seems like.

So I am married to my Thai wife, here on a one year type O visa, I was interviewed by the a local public school, I prefer not to say where, but middle of the country. This school is from what I have heard ranked very high far as Thai public schools go. Now they told me they could higher me on as a guest speaker and that they have done this before. 

Some more info about myself...I have a TEFL and a college paramedic cert from the US ...so I am a 100% aware of the legal ramifications and problems about easily obtaining a work permit, with no BA, no need to reiterate them.

So I am thinking ok they can hire me as a TA or something else no sounds good. When I spoke to the head of the foreign program visa and WP dept today, she told me that they don't have a work permit for me, but instead have a letter from there school saying that I can legally work there and that if Thai labor or immigration asked it would be sufficient. So my wife is not concerned because of the reputation of the school, but I am concerned because as far as I know I need a work permit... I hadn't thought of applying for it myself until after talking with her today, I am not even sure it would get approved based on what my position is. I am a bit nervous though, the school has told me everything will be fine and they have had many teachers like this including another one starting this semester and we are supposed to start soon, contracts already signed and everything. But I would like to get some non local POV on this situation? My wife is currently pregnant and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize me being able to stay here.  So how does this look? Or feel to some of you who have been here longer than me?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Exactly as Beet Man has said.  You are risking arrest and deportation with a potential for blacklisting as well.  Protect yourself, do not take the job.

Can I not take my contract  and materials to the ministry of labor and apply myself?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Says it all.

I mean you're correct, in the realm of risk taking should I assume this to be very high? As my options of supporting my family here are far slimer..granted they would even less if I was jailed or deported.

3 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Mrgone87,

You are schooled, you are intelligent, you have done your due diligence. You make the decision as you (and your loved ones) are the ones who pay the price. 

Do it yourself? All you risk is a no and scrutiny.

Sound advice, thank you.

• Like 1

You will need a letter from the school to assist in doing this, will it be a paid position or just part time volunteering.  Maybe one of the Ajarns on the forum can give some better and more sound advice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You will need a letter from the school to assist in doing this, will it be a paid position or just part time volunteering.  Maybe one of the Ajarns on the forum can give some better and more sound advice.

The contract stated a paid position, 25-30 hours a week. The admin in WP department said they had a letter  for me, she was a bit unclear if, she could not get me a permit, or did not know how to apply for one in this scenario. I will go in tomorrow and speak with her in person.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

You need signed documentation from the school. Without this it is impossible to apply.

Right, I guess I will speak with her tomorrow and see what she says, about giving me that documentation.

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I suspect your school is being dodgy because it is difficult for foreigners to apply for any jobs in Thailand. Probably if you apply for the WP, you won't get it.

Yeah, I'm not sure. It's not like some shoddy establishment, when they interviewed me, my wife was there as well and they made it seem like they knew to speak with immigration and labor. If I had not of reached out today I would not have known that she did not know how to, or could not? Apply for my permit.

You not having a BA is a problem for the school. Many schools used to, I am not sure anymore since I don't know any now, would hire English teachers under the table because they could not afford to get one with a BA. You know the requirement.

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Probably that school is not as reputable as you think.

You may be right, but I did the research and it's in the top 10-15 of the country on every list I found, not really sure if that means anything though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

You not having a BA is a problem for the school. Many schools used to, I am not sure anymore since I don't know any now, would hire English teachers under the table because they could not afford to get one with a BA. You know the requirement.

The thing is, their not trying to hire me under the table though. Like I asked how I was going to be paid,they said salary, by check once a month with option for public health.

16 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Is it a requirement for all foreign teachers to have a BA?

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mrgone87 said:

The thing is, their not trying to hire me under the table though. Like I asked how I was going to be paid,they said salary, by check once a month with option for public health.

If that's the case, then why are they reluctant to apply work permit for you?

And you think that those working illegally aren't issued checks ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If that's the case, then why are they reluctant to apply work permit for you?

And you think that those working illegally aren't issued checks ?

That's the whole reason I made the topic friend. I'm not sure what's going on here myself.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mrgone87 said:

That's the whole reason I made the topic friend. I'm not sure what's going on here myself.

Like what I said, it is either because

1. They want to avoid the countless documentation required

2. You don't qualify for the teaching post because foreigners need to have at least a bachelor's degree required for foreigners to teach in Thailand.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, elliss said:

Would be interesting to know if any 

foreigners teaching in the Kingdom .

Have a valid work permit ?.  Just asking ..

So you are saying or hinting that ALL foreigners teaching here are without a valid work permit? Read your post again!

• Sad 1

get a work permit with a language center.  they don't call you a teacher, but like a speaker or something.  then you work for the school.  seen in before down south.

not a fan of "teachers" "educating" students if they haven't valued education themselves.  not the best role model, not inspirational.  I don't see any credibility.  How can you tell a student that education is important.  Especially if you are from America; people in America without degrees are really looked down upon.  lol.  I digress.    

Note:  This was eight years ago, of course things could have changed 100x.  

• Like 2