School says they cant give me a work permit

Forget it! Every school director can hire you , if come problem its your problem! Every school have money (donate or some other extra). They get from student familys. Like cleaner in goeverment school they get paid from school not from goverment! You really dont want picture in FB here is our E teacher from Nothingham!

• Like 2

Thailand has rules.

Those rules are written to allow wealthy people in,

Thailand has a take care of Thailand first attitude.

They allow a lot of older people with no desire to 

compete in the workplace in who can show 

minimum amounts of cash, so they won't be a 

burden to Thailand.

They also allow needed workers with special skills.

The rules do slide a little from yr to yr but they keep 

the bottom line, they do not want someone who is 

going to compete with Thai people for jobs and they 

try to avoid allowing those who can not fully support their self 

with out depending on government services.

Now like anywhere folks try or do bend the rules.

It is not a good plan to count on staying here if 

you don't fit in the written rules, I don't understand 

why you would try.

Bottom line you can't build a good life , living on the 

edges of a system.

":Make a new plan Stan" go back where ever and get the BA

or what ever is required to legal to stay here. 

Other wise every year, every job change, every day 

you are living a life you can lose in the blink of an eye.

You are about the 10,000th person to ask, how can I 

skirt the laws and live here, you are nothing new and 

not alone. 

Sorry, that is the way it is and it will stay that way.

• Like 2

I was always told that to get a work permit, I needed to have a 4-year degree. Didn't bother me because I have a 4-year masters degree.

I'm not saying you can't get a work permit without one, but it won't be legal, and you'll have to pay a lot. 

Most BAs are 3 year degrees so wouldn't qualify, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Is it a requirement for all foreign teachers to have a BA?

A teaching qualification for English Language through a university is generally a BA (and provides a teachers license), however if as I had a BSC(Hons) they could ask Krusepa, the Thai Teachers Council, for a letter of dispensation, but this will only work for a short period, they will require you to complete a set of exams which will allow you to apply for a teachers license in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have never heard of a 3 year BA, well yes some folks are able to cram 4 years into 3, but it is still a 4 year program. 

Are you from the US? In the UK most BA and BSc degrees are 3 years unless you do a year in industry or whatever they call it.

Sorry I just saw that you put that you are from the US.

Edited by BenDeCosta

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:
29 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I was always told that to get a work permit, I needed to have a 4-year degree.

I'm not saying you can't get a work permit without one, but it won't be legal, and you'll have to pay a lot. 

Most BAs are 3 year degrees so wouldn't qualify, correct me if I'm wrong.

I have never heard of a 3 year BA, well yes some folks are able to cram 4 years into 3, but it is still a 4 year program. 

In the UK all (pretty much all) degrees are 3 years. 

BA - Bachelor of Arts / BSc - Bachelor of Science 

They’re all 3 year courses. 

That said: If I wanted to become a teacher with my BA or BSc I would have to undertake and additional year of Study with a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can I make a suggestion to the OP.

Go to your embassy in Bangkok. Ask to make a statutory declaration. On it, state all your qualifications, and where you were educated, plus any work experience you may have. Complete the declaration by saying that in your opinion, Your combination of qualifications and work experience is the equivalent of a modern day B.A.

It may be worth a try.

Show this to the school and see what they say. The rest of the paperwork for a WP is quite straightforward.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jaiyenyen said:

Can I make a suggestion to the OP.

Go to your embassy in Bangkok. Ask to make a statutory declaration. On it, state all your qualifications, and where you were educated, plus any work experience you may have. Complete the declaration by saying that in your opinion, Your combination of qualifications and work experience is the equivalent of a modern day B.A.

It may be worth a try.

Show this to the school and see what they say. The rest of the paperwork for a WP is quite straightforward.

This will be a costly exercise and it won't get the OP anywhere. It is the Ministry of Labour who issue work permits and not the employer.

Section 1.7 of the application form for a work permit is provided for the applicant to list their work experience. All you have to do is list your experience in the space provided.

A statutory declaration from your Embassy is not necessary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Number 1, this is a personal attack without any proof.  I'm not mad at you....lol....

I've seen many "poor" Americans find hundreds of thousands from inheritance, investments, selling assets, retirement plans, etc.....that came due later in life.  Maybe his sister has 10 million USD and she told him she'll pay for the kid's education.  A million possible scenarios.  

If the OP Is in his 20's with no assets or future payouts coming......well, it's his life and it can certainly work out.  Online classes, get a real degree, go to America with his family, land a good job.....it's really none of my concern.

because the title is "work permit," I'll leave it at that.  Well, one more thing....had a rich guy crash his motorbike, paralyzed for life......i could have yelled at him for riding a bike in Thailand....but I didn't.   life happens

Ok I will play along.

Out of the 330,000,000 people in America, exactly HOW MANY, as you claim, came into inheritance that you know personally?

Then do the math.

He has a better chance to win the lottery.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

Probably that school is not as reputable as you think.

I was once asked during the interview if it is alright if the school doesn't apply for a work permit for me which shocked me; and this was a well-established school in the town center.

I read many times that applying for work permits for foreigners is a nightmare with countless documentation  so your school might want to avoid doing that.

There are foreign teachers who teach illegally in Thailand but it's not worth the risk.

And it won't be the school staff or administrator who gave him bad or incorrect advice that gets deported.

• Like 1

To work you need a work permit. Working without a work permit is punishable by jail of up to 5 years. (Unlikely, but you will be expelled). To work as a teacher you need a teaching license or a waiver thereof, without it you can go to jail for 1 year. The work permit requires a teaching license (or waiver) and the waiver requires college degree. 

A lecturer doesn't need a WP for guest lecture, in OP's case the WP is needed. he is not a guest lecturer. As Scott said, a teaching assistence is possible but very difficult and will largelij depend on the local labour office.

As both immigration and the labour office, and even the tax office, are more active in checking if foreign teachers have the right documentation working without a WP is not advisable.

The way I see it Farang are second class citizens as teachers in Thailand, the other day someone posted at some Uni where they vaccinated all the Thai teachers but not the Farang, anyway good luck

Like others have said, without a degree, you can't legally get a WP and work as a teacher. If you get caught (even if you have a WP as a "TA"), you risk deportation and being blacklisted from returning to Thailand.

Why not find a private language school (no degree needed), or a corporate job (no degree needed for WP as well)?

Edited by ThLT
  • Confused 1

Just work. If the school is half decent, they will have the DoL in their pockets. This is the way it works here.  In over 25 years working here as I teacher, I never saw any teacher being charged for not having a WP. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Just work. If the school is half decent, they will have the DoL in their pockets. This is the way it works here.  In over 25 years working here as I teacher, I never saw any teacher being charged for not having a WP. 

What is DOL? So you are saying that many teachers are working without a work permit? What're the reasons?

• Sad 1