USB Security Key (FIDO-certified)

mtls2005

Can anyone, who is currently using one, recommend a make, model and lcoal source for a FIDO-certified USB Security Key.

I'm leaning towrds this one...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/yubikey-5-nfc-yubico-account-facebook-twitter-gmail-microsoft-anb-smart-tech-fido2-u2f-i2114018913-s7100922271.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.25c0218buyCEcj&search=1&freeshipping=1

but would welcome your recommendations on any which work for you currently.

I am not currently using one. But I just checked in the very reliable computer Magazin c't (not an online article).

The device which you have in mind has a very good rating - at least if that it the original device.

But to be fair none of the tested devices has a real bad rating. So it seem even if you don't buy the best one that a simple version still does the job.

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So it seem even if you don't buy the best one that a simple version still does the job.

Yes, as long as it meets the requirements for those sites where you will use it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, grantbkk said:

I have no idea how my B of A Safe Pass worked all these years. must be one hell of a battery.

Mine died ages ago.

I think you can still receive SafePass codes via SMS? 

I purchased one today, they seem to be selling quite quickly. 

Yubikey 5 NFC USB-A 2,040 baht.

I needed it for another application.

Some recommend getting two in case you lose one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Mine died ages ago.

I think you can still receive SafePass codes via SMS? 

I purchased one today, they seem to be selling quite quickly. 

Yubikey 5 NFC USB-A 2,040 baht.

I needed it for another application.

Some recommend getting two in case you lose one.

Technically I guess if I had a US SIM running here in Bangkok I could get an SMS.

I bought exactly the same USB Security Key from Lazada today. Same price, said only 3 left. Cheers.

11 hours ago, grantbkk said:

Technically I guess if I had a US SIM running here in Bangkok I could get an SMS.

I receive BofA SMSes on my Google Voice and Talkatone numbers here. Both work for all my 2FA (~ 30-ish) requirements, but another one is changing soon. Also have a T-Mo SIM and UM SIM, which also work.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I been look at getting at a yubikey delivered from Amazon because all the ones on Lazada looked a bit suss. I was recently locked out of Google services for signing in on a new device. I never knew they could lock you out even when you put all the correct details and recovery stuff. Almost lost access to thousands of dollars in crypto. So yubikey is one more later to add to recovery options. Google recommend Titan but yubikey looks to be the industry leader

Importing an encryption key may run afoul of Thai law, and Thai Customs has been clamping down on imported kit.

So I chose to purchase locally. Will these get through? Probably, maybe. The key I bought here, on Lazada from AnB Smart Tech, is legitimate.

I think Titan may be Google's own brand name? Not sure exactly.

For Google/GMail/Chrome best to use 2FA for EVERYTHING. I use the Google Prompts. They also offer: Authenticator/3rd party authenticator apps, Security Key, SMS, Backup Codes. And change your password frequently, and use a unique password not used by you elsewhere.

On 8/30/2021 at 7:54 AM, mtls2005 said:

Importing an encryption key may run afoul of Thai law, and Thai Customs has been clamping down on imported kit.

So I chose to purchase locally. Will these get through? Probably, maybe. The key I bought here, on Lazada from AnB Smart Tech, is legitimate.

I think Titan may be Google's own brand name? Not sure exactly.

For Google/GMail/Chrome best to use 2FA for EVERYTHING. I use the Google Prompts. They also offer: Authenticator/3rd party authenticator apps, Security Key, SMS, Backup Codes. And change your password frequently, and use a unique password not used by you elsewhere.

I just had a closer look at the ones on lazada from anb. At first glance they looked suss with all the thai writing and stuff but closer inspection the seem to be legit with good reviews. I might order one from there tonight.