Covid patient's 500,000 baht bill at private hospital a "misunderstanding"

webfact

12 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I suppose it does, if you are in the social security through your job.

Can you imagine their little faces when they realise that a foreigner that they have been 'treating' for covid pulls out his/her SS card. The amount of padding would be huge and they would not get a penny from said foreigner.

Would love to be a fly on the wall that day.

Yes would be fun to watch their faces, but usually the first thing they ask when you enter a hospital (even for IPD) is if you have insurance (so they can try their best to suck it dry ????)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

The secretary of Thailand's National Health Security Office said that a family who were given a 500,000 baht bill for a relative's Covid-19 treatment at a private hospital was a misunderstanding.

How is being given a bill a misunderstanding.  The hospital probably expected payment, but when the family balked they were caught out.

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

Dr Jadej said that the hospital concerned - not mentioned in the BBN article - had agreed to refund the money as it was a misunderstanding about the patient turning down treatment elsewhere. 

He said that Covid-19 falls under the social security umbrellla's UCEP scheme - Universal Coverage for Emergency Patients. 

Ooops

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I suppose it does, if you are in the social security through your job.

Can you imagine their little faces when they realise that a foreigner that they have been 'treating' for covid pulls out his/her SS card. The amount of padding would be huge and they would not get a penny from said foreigner.

Unfortunately SS cards are no more

47 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not before the two family members had appeared on a tv show to plead their case did Dr Jadej agree to pay up though !!

normal Thai face saving behavior

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, webfact said:

Dr Jadej said that the hospital concerned - not mentioned in the BBN article

I can't understand why they don't name the law braking hospital....what is there to hide

• Like 1

It is normal for the hospital to present the bill even though the government pays.

I know a Thai who is hospital now being treated for Covid and the bill at the moment is 1.5 million. I think the person's insurance pays some and the government the rest.

Edited by petedk

1 hour ago, jackdd said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Private hospitals should not be charging at all for Covid care.  

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

"At all" doesn't include foreigners though.

No it doesn't, which is why you should, at the very least, Covid insurance.

25 minutes ago, petedk said:

It is normal for the hospital to present the bill even though the government pays.

I know a Thai who is hospital now being treated for Covid and the bill at the moment is 1.5 million. I think the person's insurance pays some and the government the rest.

So does a Thai need covid insurance at all ?as sounds like gov pay... I know

Covid insurance cover death.si maybe still worth having insurance ? But the other bits inpatient and outpatient maybe a waste of money .... But  I falang got same insurance Fromm rooji insurance . cost from 350b to 850b  one payment. Covered for one year.i did get for Thai lady as well same prices...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

As I've always believed since the beginning of the covid saga, it will be very difficult to get off the gravy train for some businesses and they will fight tooth and nail to keep this going..

Really ? Apart from a limited number of business sectors 'positively' impacted by COVID, I can pretty much guarantee that the much wider business community would like nothing more than economies and their own businesses, to get back to normal.

You sound worryingly like a conspiracy theorist...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thai friend went to private hospital for covid treatment after one night at gov't hospital in room with 10 covid positive people. The private hospital charges were in advance. Pay or get out. It wasn't cheap.