Creative fixes for vibrating panels?

Hey all,

I've got a Honda Wave with about 10k km on it and some of the front panels have finally started rattling - notably, the front panel near the headlight (see attached photo).

Not a big deal but it does put a bit of a damper on otherwise quiet weekend rides in the mountains.

My mechanic tried using a double sided adhesive without success. I tried ghetto taping it up without success. Looking for a solution other than earplugs.

Removing the panel completely causes a different plastic panel near the throttle to rattle so that's not a good solution either.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

20210521_135759_HDR.jpg

I'm gonna do my mates Wave's front end fairing body rattle noise it is a annoying.

What you have to do is have rubber compression washers with new fixings, it's a fiddley job but can be sorted with some expertise.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You could use the tape used for door Gaps. 

Sticky on one side and spongey on the other - about 1.5mm thick. 

Can be found in shops like HomePro.

Thanks, Richard. Not a bad idea. Might give that a try. 

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm gonna do my mates Wave's front end fairing body rattle noise it is a annoying.

What you have to do is have rubber compression washers with new fixings, it's a fiddley job but can be sorted with some expertise.

Sounds like you've done this kind of thing before. It's annoying for sure. Do you have a photo of exactly what I'd need to look for and where I could pick it up? 

Edited by davidupatterson

32 minutes ago, davidupatterson said:

Thanks, Richard. Not a bad idea. Might give that a try. 

Sounds like you've done this kind of thing before. It's annoying for sure. Do you have a photo of exactly what I'd need to look for and where I could pick it up? 

Not yet because I have only done the front mudguard (front fender)  by drilling and fixing 1 extra fixing to both sides of the fender. 

I will start on the fairing body panels when we get a cooler day, basically it's not rocket science you just have to pack and cushion the fixings positions, over the years they obviously get sloppy. 

• Like 1

In my motorcycling days, I dealt with the same issue by attaching a counter-weight to the windscreen edge. I'd usually use standard wheel weights and it usually worked.  Bit of trial and error involved finding the most effective location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Honda Wave and also experience this vibrating and noise. On my bike, it's the panel(s) below the speedometer, that is the part that you straddle with your legs, more or less, but up closer to the handle bars. It starts at about 60km/h and if I press the panel with my hand it stops. It's been like that forever and I now have 10,000 km on the bike. Yeah, it's annoying and I still haven't gotten around to fixing it. It's done it since day 1. Bad engineering.

• Like 1

I have used adhesive backed hook and loop (velcro) on my top headlamp cover on my wave, bought from Mr Diy.

Mine is an older model with a longer top panel with small hooks/clips that are supposed to locate it securely to the headlamp but they would never remain secure, the velcro sorted it and the panel can be removed and refitted easily.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...