shouting when talking

jwest10

Yes I agree.  There are times that I believe that my Thai Fiance is mad and yelling at me.  No she says she is just telling me something.  I listen to her with other people and it seems as the two are arguing but no just a congenial conversation.  I saw this recently in the airport where two I believe foreigners from India appeared to be in a shouting match but no, they were just carrying on a conversation. 

• Like 2

Just now, Thailand said:

I think my wife shouts when she talks but not sure as I don't listen. Simply smile and nod occasionally.

Thailand, love you nickname and mine is mostly quite quiet but is prone to get louder in a group and they love to keep their microphones on and presume if walking from room to room and bathroom but also when on the floor and hear both conversations and do not understand and yes block and smile the answer but they have this same kind of voice.
I did ask what on earth do you talk about and sometimes was 2 hours in the morning and evening but not so these days but the answer just everyday things.
LOL I know us men can go on as well but for that length but you have to laugh but it can be very irritating at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwest10 said:

Weird but should be used to it and always it seems when listening to something and have to turn my volume up but just sometimes they get the hint and they down the end of the room LOL

Buy earbuds, these are great, an instant cure for loud mouths and nagging wives.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tws-led-ipx7-earphone-earbud-true-wireless-bluetooth-50-v50-ios-android-i1369322128-s3469944621.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

At least for some women the reason is that they used to work in bars with loud music. They shouted at each other every night for years - because they had to to understand each other.

And they continue like that also outside the bar and also without the loud music.

I heard it was to do with the rice farming heritage, you had to shout so that your neighbour working in the next field could hear you.

It amazes me in bars that the girls can hear the quietest whispers over the din of the music.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

even in the morning on the news channels the people can't talk normally. It seems they are all so excited and get paid by the words they shout. Compared to western news readers.. It is very irritable. It think it is because they grow up with all the noise in schools, and parties and everywhere you go restaurants, shopping malls, tesco, Big C... All loud music.. I think a lot of people are deaf 

I think "you" watch the wrong news.

My Thai gf also watches these "news" were 2 or 3 (or more?) presenters explain to each other exited what happend. Like "really, did she do that?" and "let me explain that to you". There is especially one Thai guy who sounds all the time as if he just had 10 packs of cigarettes. Annoying! 

I know there are also real news with not so exited news presenters on Thai TV. But I don't know how many Thais watched those news...

• Like 2

Sometimes I think it's me....There are times/conversations when I've tasked the wife for being, what I THINK, is loud....Maybe 5% of the time....

But - on phone calls with her family on the phone, she shouts into the speaker phone that's already amplified....Possibly excitement as they talk infrequently....

If it's a call for a Lazada delivery, or something mundane, it's in a normal tone....

If you've ever taught in a Thai classroom, you would be amazed at how Thai kids can have conversations, work on assignments, carry on normal activities with an ambient noise level far above the breaking point for most Westerners. When my GF takes a call from work while at home, she never turns the TV down and seemingly has no issue with carrying on her conversation that way. When I make or take a phone call I need to turn down the TV/Radio, it amazes me how Thais can operate with a noise level constantly buzzing around them without batting an eye.

Just a humorous note, my GF is somewhat soft spoken, when we first started dating I had to ask her to speak up a bit as I could not hear her, and likewise she asked me to stop talking so loudly because when we first met I was still teaching and was accustomed to shouting over the din and insanity of 40 to 50 high schoolers every day.

My Thai wife shouts a lot when talking and our 4 year old daughter does not appear to hear me when I talk normal to her, maybe I should shout. I blame all the cotton buds that are used in their ears, either they have gone too deep and damaged their hearing or there is a cotton bud left in there.

This is quite common. The reason is most Thais think that is only what they are saying is important, not anyone else's chat. Couple that with mostly they are talking absolute twaddle, they consequently try to shout over everybody else in the vain attempt of hoping someone listens to them, hence your observation.  They outcome of this is that the noise gets louder and louder, no one has any idea what the others are saying, no one actually cares what the others are saying and what's more, like goldfish, they will actually forget what they have said after a very short while ???????????????????? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I heard it was to do with the rice farming heritage, you had to shout so that your neighbour working in the next field could hear you.

I think it is more a country thing, and not just the fields but they talk from house to house and that becomes the normal tone, even if standing next to you... and in our compound, the houses are not that close together... 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Excel said:

no one actually cares what the others are saying and what's more, like goldfish, they will actually forget what they have said after a very short while

where can I get some of these talking goldfish?

• Haha 1

IMHO The Chinese are best at it. A guy who worked for the Peace Corps there chronicled it in his books.

I once had the misfortune to jog between a Chinese couple in America. My ears are still ringing. 555