shouting when talking

jwest10

I think that a lot of Thais are going deaf because of the loud music and other loud voices they hear

at gatherings and concerts and boat regattas,  some Temples and festivals. etc.  I am also getting deaf in one ear and find

that I talk loud as well.  The worst case I had was two Japanese women on a flight from Vancouver Canada to Tokyo

Japan, they were on opposite sides of the plane and were yelling at each other in conversation. I asked the flight attendant

to sit them together, and after that we all were able to get some rest, as it was getting late in the night.  It is a loud world

out there.

Geezer

• Like 2

I was walking along Beach Road with a buddy last week. We were speaking perhaps a little loudly, as we were both a bit out of breath from our walking. As we walked along, a Thai man shouted at us in English that foreigners should not shout when they are in Thailand. I was taken aback and just kept talking and walking, but it got me thinking as to how easy it is to upset the locals here.

• Like 1

Yes I am sure the ladies were speaking Japanese, but they could have been Japanese. Canadians as well

and very excited about going back to their home country.  I do know the difference between Japanese and Chinese, as

my Thai relatives speak Chinese as well as Thai.  Just to clarify.

Geezer

Italians appear to be some of the worst; on Nai Harn beach when they get fed up shouting at each other, they go into the water, form a circle and screech full bore (all at the same time, of course) from a distance of about 4 metres.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Yea my one does it too, it's annoying.

Mind you, it isn't only Thais..American's talk loud as do Indian's. Aussies too.

I have an Italian neighbor, who always uses speaker phone, not just loud he shouts into it, and from 50mtrs away I can hear every word he shouts. The Thais I can forgive as their hearing has been damaged, first by the School loud speakers, and all the other loud speakers everywhere, I went to a School party and registered the volume at 93 decibels. As with the School football matches it is so intolerable, I refuse to go. Wats/ Monks don't get me started on them.

• Haha 1

There is a group of falangs who sit in Big C Pattaya,next to the coffee shop every day,you can hear them "talking" upstairs,why they have to talk so loud when they are sitting in a group God only knows ,if any of you are reading this , stop shouting when you " talk".

• Thanks 1

????  I see/hear this a lot in my partner and extended family, I thought I was the only one.

If I ever say that you don't need to shout they are standing next to you/at the same table etc , or there is no need to shout into your phone, I get the stink eye from everyone.    ...I just let the fury build inside these days and say nothing.

Oddly the country cousins are much quieter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Thais are amatures at shouting, it's the Chinese who are world champions  

Absolutely agree, the Chinese are again in the front row. Plus Americans a close second. Just from my experience. I wonder if this is a cultural thing or just bad manners, bloated egos or a misinterpretation of their freedom to act as they like. I heard that in China they conduct courses for tourists on how to behave abroad to not annoy their foreign hosts.

Apart from shouting they do other annoying things as well, like spitting etc. This may be just OK out in the wild but in front of a breakfast buffet ?

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 2

I remember when I was in America traveling on a Greyhound bus, there were two men having a shouting conversation, one at the front and the other one at the back of the bus, I was sitting in the middle with my then girlfriend.

After a while I got fed up, so I stood up and shouted at both of them to shut up, they did, maybe my height did it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

There is a group of falangs who sit in Big C Pattaya,next to the coffee shop every day,you can hear them "talking" upstairs,why they have to talk so loud when they are sitting in a group God only knows ,if any of you are reading this , stop shouting when you " talk".

They were italians

the coffee shop as closed forever and disapeared few days ago

i wonder where this ''gentlemen'' have moved now?

21 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think my wife shouts when she talks but not sure as I don't listen. Simply smile and nod occasionally.

I don't remember ever hearing my wife shouting, not even when she is on the phone, she just doesn't seem to be the shouting type.

2 hours ago, Thaifly88 said:

I was walking along Beach Road with a buddy last week. We were speaking perhaps a little loudly, as we were both a bit out of breath from our walking. As we walked along, a Thai man shouted at us in English that foreigners should not shout when they are in Thailand. I was taken aback and just kept talking and walking, but it got me thinking as to how easy it is to upset the locals here.

Out of breath from walking?? That is not normal, maybe the both of you need to stop smoking. I could walk for miles and not get out of breath, same applies to cycling if on a flat road, though running I would soon get out of breath as I am not so young anymore.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

That's why I don't like sitting with a group of guys at a table, some of them have to raise their voice to speak to others across the table, and you are trying to listen in a conversation with the guy sitting next to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Absolutely agree, the Chinese are again in the front row. Plus Americans a close second. Just from my experience. I wonder if this is a cultural thing or just bad manners, bloated egos or a misinterpretation of their freedom to act as they like. I heard that in China they conduct courses for tourists on how to behave abroad to not annoy their foreign hosts.

Apart from shouting they do other annoying things as well, like spitting etc. This may be just OK out in the wild but in front of a breakfast buffet ?

Chinese at a buffet?????????????????????????????????

44 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

They were italians

the coffee shop as closed forever and disapeared few days ago

i wonder where this ''gentlemen'' have moved now?

Just listen ???????????? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

IMHO The Chinese are best at it. A guy who worked for the Peace Corps there chronicled it in his books.

I once had the misfortune to jog between a Chinese couple in America. My ears are still ringing. 555

New York woman often speak very loudly.

I once boarded an aircraft in Chiang Mai for Bkk.

I sat in the 3 seat side section on the aisle seat. A New York woman (she told the nearby passenger very loudly) sat in the same 3 seat section at the window. She engaged her friend in the second seat of the 4 seat section (same row) in detailed very loud conversation of her CM adventures/likes/dislikes all the time from sitting down, during takeoff, flight and landing and deplaning.  

Several polite requests by other passengers to wait until arrival to continue their conversation (including 2 trolley dolleys asking them) were totally ignored.

Not a pleasant experience.

Shouting on speaker phones is particularly annoying as I can't hear above the din and have to ask my wife to go somewhere quiet. Thais have an incredibly high tolerance for noise which probably leaves a lot of them partially deaf. 

Wow, I don't feel so isolated now as it seems it's more than common.

I constantly have to ask my wife to turn it down a bit, and if she doesn't hear me I have to also shout, which I hate. Sometimes I say something to her 3 times without any apparent recognition I am talking, I have to turn it up to 11 myself. I hate raising my voice. I am soft spoken and when I was working, my job involved many presentations and meetings, which I normally chaired. I learned early on in my career how to speak up when needed, but didn't expect it in everyday conversations during my retirement.

I suspect she is parially deaf in one ear (the side next to me ???? ) but I can't convince her to get tested.

Incidentally my last wife was Chinese and had no volume problems with her. In my time in China I used to get really annoyed at the volume in a typical large restaurant though. She alternatively felt UK restaurants were too quiet and asked me why no one talks to each other.

...and just to add to the pot....people who put their phones onto speaker.......WHY????...........it is bad enough having to listen to them shouting down the phone.....I certainly don't see why have to listen to the other person shouting back...........and I have noticed some people (the sad and lonely one's if you are one of them) seem to save up their phone calls so they can make them in public.......make your calls at home!!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

What annoys me more is people walking down the road shouting into their phone in their hand, 2ft from their face, rather than put the phone to their ear and mouth

facetiming... or Line video conf etc etc... and it is exasperated by the wee little speakers on the mobiles that have to be pushed up to their limits. POnce that is done, the one speaking back auto upps his microphone voice to increase alike... 

52 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

...and just to add to the pot....people who put their phones onto speaker.......WHY????...........i

Thais seem to be more immune to noise generated by others. Have you ever noticed how many sit near a crowd (waiting at the DLT for example) and look and listen to their favorite soap opera / YouTube clip etc. at full volume over the phone speaker ? And I never saw anybody have any reaction. My wife does not take notice, either unless I mention it.

• Haha 1