Windows tinting

Misab

Hi, do you mean if you pay a professional firm to do the work? Or if you buy the film and do it yourself?
The film itself can be as low as 40 baht per square meter (for no-brand name) but installing it yourself can be incredibly challenging.
For a professional installation, it can easily run to 400-900baht/m2 depending on the type of film, the brand, and the installation firm. I had a rep from Lamina come and give me a quote to do my condo and his estimate was 24,000 for a total of 31 m2, with a 7 year warranty against peeling/de-laminating. 
They have a whole range of different films to choose from, all with different prices. The most expensive films are the ones that block UV while letting in plenty of visible light. The price per m2 drops on larger jobs, so if you're getting a whole house done, you can expect to pay less. 
Of course, you can find other firms (not Lamina) that will do it for much less, but they won't have a warranty and will use cheap film which can be depressingly dark and also ineffective at blocking UV/rejecting heat. 
Hope that helps. 

Edited by jadee

17 hours ago, jadee said:

Hi, do you mean if you pay a professional firm to do the work? Or if you buy the film and do it yourself?
The film itself can be as low as 40 baht per square meter (for no-brand name) but installing it yourself can be incredibly challenging.
For a professional installation, it can easily run to 400-900baht/m2 depending on the type of film, the brand, and the installation firm. I had a rep from Lamina come and give me a quote to do my condo and his estimate was 24,000 for a total of 31 m2, with a 7 year warranty against peeling/de-laminating. 
They have a whole range of different films to choose from, all with different prices. The most expensive films are the ones that block UV while letting in plenty of visible light. The price per m2 drops on larger jobs, so if you're getting a whole house done, you can expect to pay less. 
Of course, you can find other firms (not Lamina) that will do it for much less, but they won't have a warranty and will use cheap film which can be depressingly dark and also ineffective at blocking UV/rejecting heat. 
Hope that helps. 

Yes, that help a lot, Thank you Jadee.  We will soon build a new house I have received price on aluminum windows fitted with 6 m / m laminated glass. All windows are in shade no one faces west. I was in doubt whether we should order 15% tinting from the start, but after reading your post, I think we will wait and see if it is necessary at all

3 hours ago, Misab said:

Yes, that help a lot, Thank you Jadee.  We will soon build a new house I have received price on aluminum windows fitted with 6 m / m laminated glass. All windows are in shade no one faces west. I was in doubt whether we should order 15% tinting from the start, but after reading your post, I think we will wait and see if it is necessary at all

My opinion (it’s what we have) is that a low-e glass is far better than a tint. It will reduce light transmission a little but is better at reducing heat transfer by radiation, you will get a little from the heated surfaces.  

• Like 1

Wooden shutters work really well....ask the French........or the sliding shutters they use in Germany are even better.........seriously........You can adjust for light and strike a balance between how much light/heat you allow in and the big plus is security.........you can't break into a German house with all the shutters down.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 7:42 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

My opinion (it’s what we have) is that a low-e glass is far better than a tint. It will reduce light transmission a little but is better at reducing heat transfer by radiation, you will get a little from the heated surfaces.  

Today I visited with two window manufacturers in CM.  Both said they can easily provide low-e glass in double or single pane configurations.

Joe at thaivinyl.com on Hang Dong Road,  about 400m further out on same side as Tesco Lotus..  He speaks English well enough for business.  It looks like there are 3 locations in CM area and the factory is in Lamphun.  He sells Windsor windows.

Aoe at Thai Conch knows her products well and also speaks English very well.   They use primarily Deceuninck profiles for UPVC frames.  The factory is right behind their office just 3-4 minutes North of Promenada on 700 Year Road.

Edited by gamb00ler

Go to your local car accessory shop and price up how much they charge for the film. You can get one of their labourers to fit it for you or you DIY. 

I bought some film from DoHome and DIYed it myself on my sliding double doors. It p..... easy to do and there's many tutorials on Youtube. It really isn't hard to fit it yourself.

Example:       

My requirement is for new construction.  I would much rather have the factory applied coating that is extremely thin and does not block much of the visible light spectrum.  There is no labor cost and I was told the investment for low-E glass is only 10% more than standard glass of the same dimension.

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

My requirement is for new construction.  I would much rather have the factory applied coating that is extremely thin and does not block much of the visible light spectrum.  There is no labor cost and I was told the investment for low-E glass is only 10% more than standard glass of the same dimension.

Also if you get a thick laminate and your frames are good enough you can avoid the need for monkey bars. We did and have IGUs that are at least as burglary resistant as most houses 

B7FFC4A3-33F3-4963-8701-9156159F530D.thumb.jpeg.e082879ebbdcee58d039d8e9088f1f9c.jpeg72551E30-81A6-4769-9A4E-791C95C50D56.thumb.jpeg.2849b01625a8c65617863b29c296634e.jpeg

10 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Have you looked at the UPVC ready made windows from Homepro or Global? I removed all my wooden frame windows and replaced them with UPVC. The glass is 'e glass' I believe

10 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Have you looked at the UPVC ready made windows from Homepro or Global? I removed all my wooden frame windows and replaced them with UPVC. The glass is 'e glass' I believe

Are you sure? It’s much more likely to be just a normal tinted glass. Low-E glass can appear to be almost clear. 

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Are you sure? It’s much more likely to be just a normal tinted glass. Low-E glass can appear to be almost clear. 

I can't recall. You need to go to Global or Homepro and see what the spec is.

007~4.JPG

004~17.JPG

003~26.JPG

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Can anyone lend me some night-vision goggles so I can test the Low-E glass for infrared attenuation? ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Can anyone lend me some night-vision goggles so I can test the Low-E glass for infrared attenuation? ????

You don’t need those. Many car main dealers have a meter that will check transmission of various frequencies including IR & UV also so probably most high end tint shops

Edited by sometimewoodworker

17 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Today I visited with two window manufacturers in CM.  Both said they can easily provide low-e glass in double or single pane configurations.

If they are also offering IGU panels then it’s sure that they are getting them from a big glass company and fitting them into frames they make, our IGUs were made by TGSG.

The door IGUs are made from 3 pieces of  glass they are 1 clear, 5 PVB, 1 low-E, Argon gap, 1 tempered sheet, so the panes are intrusion resistant, of course the can be broken if you try hard enough but they will stay as complete panels. 

if you are getting glass doors be sure that the glass is toughened for your and others safety. 
A915D96C-EF9D-43AD-94F8-1D89443CCF97.jpeg.3d580019f3b5dce8f70b515791d01b1b.jpeg 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The door IGUs are made from 3 pieces of  glass they are 1 clear, 5 PVB, 1 low-E, Argon gap, 1 tempered sheet, so the panes are intrusion resistant, of course the can be broken if you try hard enough but they will stay as complete panels. 

if you are getting glass doors be sure that the glass is toughened for your and others safety. 

Thanks... in the thousands of little things that need to be attended to, I could have easily overlooked requiring laminated glass for the doors.

Thai Conch use Guardian glass mainly for their products.  I didn't ask at ThaiVinyl who they used.

Guardian has a very informative web site that I recommend to anyone purchasing windows.

Edited by gamb00ler

4 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Thanks... in the thousands of little things that need to be attended to, I could have easily overlooked requiring laminated glass for the doors.

All our windows and glass doors have a laminated outside for security. The windows have normal glass on the inside of the double glazing. The doors have toughened glass of the double glazing for safety. You should use different thicknesses of glass if you are having double glazing for sound reduction. 

The doors should either be laminated, toughened or both if you are using double glazing.