Sweat-sniffer dogs make Thai debut as coronavirus detectors

webfact

2021-05-21T144043Z_1_LYNXNPEH4K0Z9_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-SNIFFER-DOGS.JPG

A dog that has been trained to sniff out the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), screens a sweat sample at Chulalongkorn University, in Bangkok, Thailand May 21, 2021. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Friday deployed dogs trained to detect coronavirus infections by sniffing samples of human sweat, as the country deals with a spike in infections, including many without symptoms of the virus.

Three of six trained Labradors made their debut at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University after trials that the project leader said had shown a success rate of about 95%, with about 2,000 samples sniffed this month.

"The canines are very fast at screening," said co-researcher Thitiwat Sirprasart. "At this pace, we are able to isolate those whom we suspect are infected from those who are virus-free."

The dogs are not required to smell the humans directly. Sweat samples are collected from humans and stored in small metal containers for the dogs to inspect one-by-one.

When a suspected infection is found, the dog halts and directs its nose at the sample.

"The distinctive scent is what would appear after there is an infection. Different kinds of viruses will produce different kinds of scent," said co-researcher Pattama Torvorapanit.

The project's directors hope the dogs will be used at airports or boat piers and say they are more effective than temperature checks.

Thailand is fighting its most severe outbreak yet, with cases quadrupling to 123,066 and deaths increasing seven-fold since the start of April to 735.

(Reporting by Vorasit Satienlerk; Writing by Martin Petty and Juarawee Kittisilpa; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-05-22

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sweat samples are collected from humans and stored in small metal containers for the dogs to inspect

Now i have heard everything, collecting sweat samples from what? 70 million people? good luck with that and i feel sorry for the poor dogs already having such a lousy job...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, covidiot said:

another covid "angle" ... woohoo!

better wash my socks more often just in case the dogs get confused.

It's beyond boring....????

No doubt the "fastest finger first" crowd using Google, will be able to gossip about this for days....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

It's beyond boring....????

No doubt the "fastest finger first" crowd using Google, will be able to gossip about this for days....????

Thanks for the clarification.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand on Friday deployed dogs trained to detect coronavirus infections by sniffing

hope they have 100,000 of them

and don't let them out in any major cities it will totally confuse them

Edited by smedly

Note to self:

Carry durian on my person everywhere I go.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"The canines are very fast at screening," said co-researcher Thitiwat Sirprasart. "At this pace, we are able to isolate those whom we suspect are infected from those who are virus-free."

Awesome. 

Dog barks, we get detained for testing.

This should go well.

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Why not just let the dogs wander around... cut out the pre-sample?

yeah... maybe the woofers may then discover that the wuhan can be detected from where farts come from!! (seems logical considering various Govts reckon it can be detected in their township sewer outfalls)

The dogs noses are great and sniffing the sweat will not give the dogs COVID, unlike smelling our smelly butts and bodies might.

I know that some of you posters do not read the news, so just google and you will see that dogs can sniff many things, and are used to smell 

money, drugs, and likely can be used for other purposes.  I think it is a great new and less invasive way for having a way to check

for COVID.  Go dogs go.

Geezer

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Three of six trained Labradors made their debut at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University after trials that the project leader said had shown a success rate of about 95%, with about 2,000 samples sniffed this month.

Way cool.  Super-Spreader dogs.  I wouldn't want the Covid-carrying mutts anywhere near me. 

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Note to self:

Carry durian on my person everywhere I go.

Awesome. 

Dog barks, we get detained for testing.

This should go well.

Not a good experience, and these Dogs are not as good as some people think.

Years ago back in the UK, I sent many hours in pursuit of Specimen Carp.

Some of the baits that I was using were " different ' to say the least, and were well minging.

Long story short, went to France on a Booze Cruise, took the Car, having been fishing 2 Days before.

Upon return was ordered over by Customs, who set a Spaniel about my Car, which wagged its tail and sat down near the rear bumper.

My Car was then stripped of everything, and I mean everything, and endoscopes, weighing Scales were used Etc Etc

9 Hours later after they had found nothing, I was released from the cuffs, and my car was restored back to its original condition, and I was allowed to leave that freezing Customs shed in Portsmouth.

Was not even offered a Brew or a Coat to put on and it was Minus 7

B@$!*%^$

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The dogs are not required to smell the humans directly. Sweat samples are collected from humans and stored in small metal containers for the dogs to inspect one-by-one.

Yea but what if you don't perspire ..

and are these containers cleaned after holding a sample .. 

And how is the sample collected ? 

Cotton wool ? Bud's ? bit of old rag ? 

Another twizzle idea that is more likely to slow things down than speed it up ..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Yea but what if you don't perspire ..

and are these containers cleaned after holding a sample .. 

And how is the sample collected ? 

Cotton wool ? Bud's ? bit of old rag ? 

Another twizzle idea that is more likely to slow things down than speed it up ..

'Bud's'?  Does that mean you'll be given a can of larger to drink in order to produce a sample?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

Should be better than those bomb detectors they bought back when. At least most dogs actually have functioning sniffers

Forget the GT200!

Now we have the Labrador Sniff-O-Matic. Low fuel consumption too.

• Haha 2