No Farangs !!!

52 minutes ago, mwb355 said:

I hear ya, but the apartment is brand new and I would have been the first tenant.

46 minutes ago, mwb355 said:

Worgeordie,

Yes, it's a brand new apartment and was about 30% occupied !

Which one is it ?.

you first tenant on pile on top of the 30% already there.

Need to get you story straight as this reeks of a bored thai bashing troll thread.

• Thanks 1

Get used to it OP, I just went on https://www.renthub.in.th  to look at some apartments in Bangkok and found a couple of ads that said no Farang. Its like opening a Thai bank these days some will want your money and some don't.

My advise is keep looking until you find a landlord that will give you that BIG Thai smile that we are all accustomed to when its time to pay up. Good luck.

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

For example, you can still refuse to rent to someone on the grounds that they are claiming housing benefit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53391516

A judge has ruled that blanket bans on renting properties to people on housing benefit are unlawful and discriminatory.

The "momentous" court ruling found a single mother-of-two had experienced indirect discrimination when a letting agent refused to rent to her.

She ended up homeless with her two children, when her case was taken on by housing charity Shelter.

51 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:
1 hour ago, mwb355 said:

he's probably basing his decision on being burned in the past - up to him

Why do you always find a way to excuse these reprehensible actions by locals?

being refused a room based on your ethnicity is an absolute disgrace and should be called out as such!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're not trying to say that owners of rental properties in the west are obliged to accept any tenant that comes along and that they don't have the right to reject them, are you?

Rejection due to race or Nationality is punishable by law in most Western countries and rightly so, likewise you cant set a add in the newspaper and say not for Asians or  vaccine appointment just for the citizens first. But this you know.

Felt

37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're not trying to say that owners of rental properties in the west are obliged to accept any tenant that comes along and that they don't have the right to reject them, are you?

In western countries, you can't reject a person based on their race which is just racial discrimination.

You can reject them based on whether you like them or not.

1 hour ago, mwb355 said:

Obviously I'm angry. Where do I stand here?  Are there any legal actions I can take, or is just a case of, oh well T.I.T.

Tell them you'll pay a year up front.

A lot of apartment owners assume you're a tourist and will be off after a month.

Thank you for all your comments. Just to clarify I've been living here for eight years, so I'm well versed in how things work. My own criteria for finding a place is location, location, location. I don't understand those people that take a two-hour round trip to their place of work, not for me, but each to their own. Anyway, of the four apartments that fit my criteria, three are owned by this person, the fourth is full. It's close to Lat Krabang and, yes, I now realise that I'll have to look further afield.

1 hour ago, tgw said:

TiT

my hunch is you can consider yourself lucky, one possible reason why places refuse farangs is because we are more fussy. so chances are, that room had some hidden imperfections that a Thai is more likely to just quietly accept.

35 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Which one is it ?.

you first tenant on pile on top of the 30% already there.

Need to get you story straight as this reeks of a bored thai bashing troll thread.

First tenant of that particular room!  I don't partake in bashing anyone, but found the incident frustrating.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A lot of apartment owners assume you're a tourist and will be off after a month.

I doubt even that would work !????

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah hole country is full tourist whit socks inside sandals to try find apartment for rent! And tourist not pay deposit rent.

Edited by 2 is 1

41 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It could have nothing to do with Covid, foreigners are known to disappear without paying the last few months rent. Because they leave the country they have no concern about repercussions. Very common in Japan as well not to want to rent to foreigners. 

I would hazard a guess it's everything to do with covid. Dirty farangs and all that.

1 hour ago, CALSinCM said:

If there are any anti-discrimination laws regarding housing I doubt they'd be enforced.

If you have lived here long enough you know this is a racist country.  That's nothing new.  Perhaps your new and were surprised.  Now you know.  So, why would you want to live where the landlord is an avowed racist?  There are plenty of rentals where the landlords care about renting there apartment regardless of your race.  You'll both be happier.

A whole county can't be racist. Individuals can though. And pull your head in - there is plently of asian hatred in the US, UK and Australia, and many other countries. 

28 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Rejection due to race or Nationality is punishable by law in most Western countries and rightly so, likewise you cant set a add in the newspaper and say not for Asians or  vaccine appointment just for the citizens first. But this you know.

Felt

BVut we aren't in the "West" are we? So better get used to it or leave. 

41 minutes ago, WineOh said:

being refused a room based on your ethnicity is an absolute disgrace and should be called out as such!

I agree, but alas it is what it is !

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

It's not based on ethnicity.  It's based on the documentation requirements and tax implications of renting to someone on a foreign passport.  Add that to the lack of recourse if a foreigner skips the country after stiffing the landlord or doing expensive damage.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's not based on ethnicity.  It's based on the documentation requirements and tax implications of renting to someone on a foreign passport.

Dress it up whatever way you want, he was still denied a room because he is a foreigner.

that's disgusting IMO.

Edited by WineOh

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

You very very obviously have never rented a room in your house to Africans freshly arrived in your country.

Just try it, then we can have a discussion based on facts...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Dress it up whatever way you want, he was still denied a room because he is a foreigner.

that's disgusting IMO.

You know what they say about opinions.  Short (and sweetened)  version...  Ours don't matter in Thailand, so best to leave them back home. 

There's a good chance the building doesn't have a permit to build it, or occupy it.  Another good chance that the landlord isn't reporting any income from rentals to pay taxes on.  Why would they risk that for a foreigner who's going to be asking for TM30's and owner ID's for proof of residence?

• Like 1