What to do with the bike when you leave Thailand for few month ?

i wonder what solution did you guys found when you leave Thailand for few month

i plan to buy a nice bike there, who will stay downstair my condo at the parking lot usualy, but im bit afraid to leave it or few month

i live at the 2nd floor and the stairs are really large im sure with one or two friend we can bring it to my apartment, did the gardian will let me do ? ( maybe for a 500 thb  note ))

How did you deal with this situation ?

Edited by coollife99

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Normal to leave in condi carpark at the back, covered, put good locks on it. Hopefully security at your place is adequate and has CCTV as a deterrent

No thats the point, its kind of open air carpark, just a small part with a roof for motorbike, but no CCTV and 1 guardian only for the condo + parking lot (

31 minutes ago, coollife99 said:

Yes i will get for sure, but will it work ?  if i leave my bike like 3/4 month on the parking lot with juste a lock or two

BTW do you guys think i will be allowed to bring my motorbike in my apartment, i really didnt see why i would not be allowed to, but who knows

The problem is you should (Theoretically) drain all fluids...even small amounts of petrol and oil can volatilize and become hazardous in non ventilated space that heats up all day. After a month or two...your condo will smell like a motorcycle garage

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coollife99 said:

BTW do you guys think i will be allowed to bring my motorbike in my apartment, i really didnt see why i would not be allowed to, but who knows

If you can do it, do it, along as no-one grasses you up,  just drain the fuel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coollife99 said:

No thats the point, its kind of open air carpark, just a small part with a roof for motorbike, but no CCTV and 1 guardian only for the condo + parking lot (

Lock it to something solid under roof.

Give the security guard 1000baht

& a nice mango.

Leave full off benzene.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, coollife99 said:

I left my motorbike next to a guesthouse for months and was fine. Covering it up is important so potential thieves don't know what's under the cover. Not as many thieves here as back home, yes they try to rip you off but not thieve so much

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

There are storage facilities for bikes and cars in most cities.

I used a place here in Pattaya  secure facility all the bikes are put in a locked garage.

http://www.ustoreitpattaya.com/   550 b a month.

They start them once a week got back after 3 months everything was fine.

Owner speaks good English.

Nice, i found something similar in Phuket but the monthly fee  are about 4 time the price of your Pattaya one ( 1500 baht/ month ) for 550 month for sure thats a no brainer

https://www.mystorageasia.com/units/units.aspx?cid=14

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If you can do it, do it, along as no-one grasses you up,  just drain the fuel.

You right, thats what i think, but this small details will tell if i buy a Nmax/adv 150 or a Xmax/forza 350 one as im bit afraid of a 'expensive ' scooter sleep ourside for month

• Like 1

@coollife99

I have seen some farang just leave their big bikes in the car park of the condo for many months, when I asked the security guard, he said it belongs to one of the tenants.

It is rare to see bikes get stolen  in Thailand so you can park it there. 

Or just leave your bike with a friend's house (gated landed property) and pay him a monthly fees.

Edited by EricTh

As you're in Phuket you can see that in all condo car parks there are many bikes covered up for months on end, I never heard of an issue, but then again... 

But if you buy a brand new bike you probably want to buy first class insurance with theft cover for the first year or two, and I don't see why they don't pay it even if you were away for a few months, but then again...!

This is one of the reasons I don't buy too expensive bike..., or a 2nd one that I really like..., Forza is kind of ok and on the limit...

By the way , I saw almost new Forza 350 for 145k in BKK and another 152k in Phuket, food for thoughts... ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

As you're in Phuket you can see that in all condo car parks there are many bikes covered up for months on end, I never heard of an issue, but then again... 

But if you buy a brand new bike you probably want to buy first class insurance with theft cover for the first year or two, and I don't see why they don't pay it even if you were away for a few months, but then again...!

This is one of the reasons I don't buy too expensive bike..., or a 2nd one that I really like..., Forza is kind of ok and on the limit...

By the way , I saw almost new Forza 350 for 145k in BKK and another 152k in Phuket, food for thoughts... ????

You are right, a good lock, cover and 1st class inssurance should work fine, exept if i find a 500/800 b / month or so motorbike storage facility somewhere in Phuket

for the 2nd hand, as i think i will keep this bike for long time i guess i will  buy brand new one as the first 2000 km are very important for the lapping and you never know how people did it, well but maybe if i found a good deal once i decide to buy from a retired grand Pa ))

i already hear about some scooters rental shop who sell there almost new bought in 2020 scooters  as they canot pay the bank loan so maybe some good oportunity there as well

Edited by coollife99

Place it a private storage unit or pay a bike shop to store it.

I left my bike locked up in my condo parking lot at ideo  17 lat phrao.

went up to Laos to work three months.  When I came back my wife said the bike was missing and she went to condo security.  The produced a copy from the SSC camera that showed a many carrying it away.  Nobody could identify him and condo security accused my wife of arranging the theft for the insurance payment.  Filed police report to no avail.  

• Like 1

If it's so much of a hassle maybe rent a nice bike and only buy one if you don't need to leave for few months anymore . That will fix all your problems of having to find a storage or dangerous having it in your condo . I geuss nowadays you can find some good prices for long term rent same as you said they are selling for good prices because of bank payments . And when you have to leave just bring it back to them and pick up when returning . 

Ive left a few Hondas behind..always old 95 so less chance of theft and workhorses....

Ive left it at my apt bldg after asking the manager and giving him and security small bottles of sangsom

Id consider the airport as a last option as i see some leave them there covered..(last option)

Car lots etc where other farang live in as well to blend in

A friend left his at his apt bldg too and asked the manager--chained up always adds a bit of help--dont lose the key--I had a combo lock

Last few times my thai buddy has a shop with space in the back so he kept it and got it up n running for my return,

also had friends at my old apt keep it running and even paid them to drop it off at airport so I hopped on and was off!

Left it as a last resort with a ladyboy friend once as "she" lived in a hiso gated comm..had a car--scoopy--house--from "sponsors"

Thing was when I landed in Bkk and was headed north to get it she suddenly deleted her line!   I panicked a bit but being wise

to thais and their hijinks I took note where I had left it when I left...so I got a red truck there and sweet talked security to get past them

with my handsum-ness----slid open the unlocked gate to see my ladyboy "friend" with a look of shock..555  I had an extra key as well..

Sold a few when I left too..if I didnt get my price i locked it up--willing to leave it behind forever if I have to.....again its a 95 dream

In love and war..always be prepared ????

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Battery will drain and die on many models. Removing the battery or some key fuses will immobilize the motorbike.

Good Idea. yes disconnect the battery or remove it, As most m/c are stolen by driving away, drain petrol, remove the spark plug cap, chain and lock it to the structure it's parked under. Cover it. You could even remove the seat and kick start lever.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 8:25 AM, bkk6060 said:

There are storage facilities for bikes and cars in most cities.

I used a place here in Pattaya  secure facility all the bikes are put in a locked garage.

http://www.ustoreitpattaya.com/   550 b a month.

They start them once a week got back after 3 months everything was fine.

Owner speaks good English.

This is definitely the best idea. I have never owned a motorbike but when I went away from home I left my bicycle at a place where it was safe for B10 per day

A motorbike will cost more. Wherever you live, ask around for some place under cover and secure to leave it. - that is how I found out!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:36 AM, coollife99 said:

Yes i will get for sure, but will it work ?  if i leave my bike like 3/4 month on the parking lot with juste a lock or two

That's what I do, before going on a longer trip abroad.

03004C9A-FCA8-47DE-AF22-974CAA24D5CB.jpeg

• Haha 2