What to do with the bike when you leave Thailand for few month ?

A big chain, chain it TO something.  That will stop most thieves, they're opportunists.

Disconnect the battery so that it doesn't drain, you've a better chance of starting the bike when you get back - take it indoors and put it on trickle charge if you can.  Of course, if you have a kick start, this isn't an issue.

On 5/23/2021 at 8:25 AM, bkk6060 said:

There are storage facilities for bikes and cars in most cities.

I used a place here in Pattaya  secure facility all the bikes are put in a locked garage.

http://www.ustoreitpattaya.com/   550 b a month.

They start them once a week got back after 3 months everything was fine.

Owner speaks good English.

For 550 baht you get a room 1.2m x 1.2m x 0.8m.  You did't say what kind of motorcycle you are purchasing, but it seems you will need to keep it below 50cc to have any chance of storing it in this size room.

Is this a long term plan of travelling in and out of Thailand?  If you plan on one trip or infrequent trips, maybe wait until you come back to Thailand for the bike purchase?  Otherwise, say 2-3 months, pull the battery and leave it on a battery tender in your room, purchase a disk brake lock, cover the bike.

• Like 1

If you go to Facebook marketplace you can get second hand bikes with all the paperwork for about 20 000 Baht. Great condition, you can't event tell they are second hand.

I would buy something like that. You don't have to worry what's gonna happen to it when you leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing to do with security but, buy a cover for it.  A month or two unattended even under a roof lets dust creep into all the nooks and crannies.  UV, even if it's indirect over time is murder on plastic and paint.  I keep mine 2017 Honda under wraps and it looks brand new barring a couple of scrapes.  Someone else mentioned having it started once a month if possible.  As a 40 year veteran in the airplane fixing business I can say that's another really good idea.  Cheers.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2021 at 7:36 AM, coollife99 said:

Yes i will get for sure, but will it work ?  if i leave my bike like 3/4 month on the parking lot with juste a lock or two

BTW do you guys think i will be allowed to bring my motorbike in my apartment, i really didnt see why i would not be allowed to, but who knows

Bring your horse to I saw in an Irish Film 

On 5/23/2021 at 6:49 AM, coollife99 said:

i live at the 2nd floor and the stairs are really large im sure with one or two friend we can bring it to my apartment, did the gardian will let me do ? ( maybe for a 500 thb  note ))

And? I once knew a very strong young Ozzie who pushed his Honda Steed (big bike) up 4 floors and locked it in his apt. while he went on a visa run. He was quite shocked to get back and find it gone. Unfortunately he hadn't yet paid it off and had no theft insurance. 

That was a good lesson. He and Thailand subsequently agreed that he just didn't belong here, and he disappeared into the paradise of Cambodia.

If it was me id have a word with a friend. if he has a garage or covered area next to his house ask him to run the bike from time yo time and keep it covered. Failing that ask around where you put it in Storage. 

Edited by BarraMarra
added

22 hours ago, coollife99 said:

i already hear about some scooters rental shop who sell there almost new bought in 2020 scooters  as they canot pay the bank loan so maybe some good oportunity there as well

Buying a second have scooter from a rental shop isn't imo the best idea :

the scooters have been in the hands of a lot of differents unexperimented drivers on holydays often drunk, doing stupid things with a bike they don't own, so they don't care at all and the motor and the differents mechanics parts could have suffered a lot of these behavior

Also don't expect a lot of maintenance done from a Thai, even a rental shop owner, have you noticed the number of scooters with their rear lights out oforder and not changed even if it costs only 50bahts?

The best option is to find a foreign expat living here and forced to live the island for differents reasons (Medical,work, family ....) then trying to sell his bike

The scooter will had only 1 owner, 1 driver and the maintenance will be made on a regular basis.

Maybe try your luck on FB . Bahtsold or Marketplace ?

Edited by kingofthemountain

On 5/23/2021 at 5:24 PM, CharlieH said:

Ask a local friend to look after it for you if you have one. If not, put it in storage as detailed above.

It might help if you said WHERE you are for local advice/knowledge.

I met a guy in a bar who did me a favour. In return I agreed to let him leave his bike on my drive whilst he returned to the UK for a couple of weeks. That was in February of last year, its still on my drive, now with a flat tyre and flat battery. I only have his Thai phone number and know his first name.

is he stuck in the UK due to Covid? Is he dead? Has he returned to Kampot where he owns a house? I may never know.

Thanks everyone

i will get an 1st class inssurance, probably try first to put my bike in my condo, the battery disconected and all fluid gone,  if it's impossible, i will leave it on a storage facility, i find some outside Patong for about 800 b pr month, problem solved

Cheers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coollife99 said:

Thanks everyone

i will get an 1st class inssurance, probably try first to put my bike in my condo, the battery disconected and all fluid gone,  if it's impossible, i will leave it on a storage facility, i find some outside Patong for about 800 b pr month, problem solved

Cheers

@coollife99 I sent you a PM... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 5:07 AM, coollife99 said:

Thanks everyone

Cheers

What bike is it?