The trials and tribulations of getting a refund from Lazada.

giddyup

21 hours ago, jobsworth said:

The Lazada face recognition does work eventually.

You just have to try many times.

Of course you must have a smart phone to do it.

It should not be necessary.

It has something to do with money laundering.

I guess that before you could pay cash for something very expensive and then return it and get the money transferred to your bank account. Something like that.

Tell me something. After you take a pic of your passport (getting it all lined up inside the frame) you then have to take a selfie. Does the camera automatically change to selfie mode or do you have to do it manually?

4 hours ago, NVass said:

I opened a lazada wallet using my wifes id card then tied it to my bank account. Been working fine for several years including refunds.

I did the same and never faced any problem

22 hours ago, tlandtday said:

unfortunately we have another double standard here in thailand... basically foreigners cannot have a wallet it is closed to foreigners so any refunds with lazada are now a major major pain in the ass... better to use shoppee now i will be switching over

Not true,  At one time only Thai's could have a wallet.  I had the same situation as the OP.  I had money from a refund but it sat in a wallet and I too was told I could not activate the wallet.  However a few months ago, Lazada changed its policies.  I had to submit my passport and I now have a Lazada Wallet. 
image.png.e63b0e032410acfa9d6e32161f1ff4de.png

22 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Not true,  At one time only Thai's could have a wallet.  I had the same situation as the OP.  I had money from a refund but it sat in a wallet and I too was told I could not activate the wallet.  However a few months ago, Lazada changed its policies.  I had to submit my passport and I now have a Lazada Wallet. 
image.png.e63b0e032410acfa9d6e32161f1ff4de.png

Was that completing the photo of passport and a selfie ID using the Lazada program on a smart phone? I tried that many times and could not get it to accept the selfie. I had access to the wallet for purchase using refunds, but at some stage they must have changed policy and now you have to "activate" the wallet to be able to use it.

Edited by giddyup

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Was that completing the photo of passport and a selfie ID using the Lazada program on a smart phone? I tried that many times and could not get it to accept the selfie. I had access to the wallet for purchase using refunds, but at some stage they must have changed policy and now you have to "activate" the wallet to be able to use it.

Yes,  exactly.  I had to take a copy of my passport and a selfie.  Now someone said, and I honestly don't remember that you activate the wallet when you make your first purchase using it. 

54 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Tell me something. After you take a pic of your passport (getting it all lined up inside the frame) you then have to take a selfie. Does the camera automatically change to selfie mode or do you have to do it manually?

I can't remember.

Obviously you need to change from the back camera to the front camera.

I think that I had to do it manually.

When photographing the passport the application is not worried about the framing so much as whether it can read the passport number.

8 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Yes,  exactly.  I had to take a copy of my passport and a selfie.  Now someone said, and I honestly don't remember that you activate the wallet when you make your first purchase using it. 

I could never get the Lazada program to accept the selfie, photo of passport OK, but it wouldn't compute after that. Tried to do it using a tablet and a smart phone, just wouldn't work.

Just now, jobsworth said:

I can't remember.

Obviously you need to change from the back camera to the front camera.

I think that I had to do it manually.

When photographing the passport the application is not worried about the framing so much as whether it can read the passport number.

The passport has to be lined up perfectly inside the frame and when it is the frame turns blue and then it accepts the pic.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I could never get the Lazada program to accept the selfie, photo of passport OK, but it wouldn't compute after that. Tried to do it using a tablet and a smart phone, just wouldn't work.

I guess I would call much as I hate doing that.  And ask specifically if they allow foreigners to have the wallet and if yes, explain the problem with uploading.  I don't recall any problem. But. I definitely have a wallet and use it regularly. 

5 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I guess I would call much as I hate doing that.  And ask specifically if they allow foreigners to have the wallet and if yes, explain the problem with uploading.  I don't recall any problem. But. I definitely have a wallet and use it regularly. 

I have called many times related to this very problem. Have had 3 separate emails from 3 different people at Lazada this week alone, asking for photos of passport and bank book so money in wallet can be transferred into my bank. Their whole system is a giant cluster <deleted>.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I only use COD, never any problems with that.

And what happens if the product you buy is faulty or not as described? Do you just accept it anyway because you don't want a refund? I have bought everything from Lazada using COD but sooner or late something will need to be returned.

Edited by giddyup

23 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

You can get can get a vertual debit card from banks use it like a normal card and refunds go straight to your bank account.

True, but then you've paid for something that may never arrive.

I only use COD, and have been very happy that I did several times when orders were canceled.

I don't buy anything on Shopee or Lazada that I can't afford to eat the cost of. Think of it as loaning money to a friend.

Bottom line: we lose.

Catch 22

5 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

True, but then you've paid for something that may never arrive.

I only use COD, and have been very happy that I did several times when orders were canceled.

I don't buy anything on Shopee or Lazada that I can't afford to eat the cost of. Think of it as loaning money to a friend.

Bottom line: we lose.

Catch 22

Cancelled orders aren't the problem because you haven't outlaid any money, but unless  you are 100% satisfied with everything you buy, you will have to return something sooner or later and get a refund.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

And what happens if the product you buy is faulty or not as described? Do you just accept it anyway because you don't want a refund? I have bought everything from Lazada using COD but sooner or late something will need to be returned.

I have too. I bought two clocks that had glass faces. One survived the shipping, and one didn't. The only way to get a refund (225฿), was to return via Kerry or 7-11.

I didn't think about it very long.

I pulled the broken glass off the case and hung the clocks.

I'm retired so my time isn't worth much, but more than the aggravation I would go thru to return.

Just the cost of doing business in the Kingdom.

Roll with the punches and buy expensive items locally.

Just now, RocketDog said:

I have too. I bought two clocks that had glass faces. One survived the shipping, and one didn't. The only way to get a refund (225฿), was to return via Kerry or 7-11.

I didn't think about it very long.

I pulled the broken glass off the case and hung the clocks.

I'm retired so my time isn't worth much, but more than the aggravation I would go thru to return.

Just the cost of doing business in the Kingdom.

Roll with the punches and buy expensive items locally.

It depends on the cost of the item. I'm not happy about writing something off that might have cost more than a thousand baht.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, giddyup said:

I had the exact same problem with Shopee on my very first purchase. I returned the item, got a refund of 450 baht, and found I had to email photos of passport and bankbook to them, which I refused to do, so I wrote off the money and never shopped there again.

They provide the format which includes text on copy to make copies useless for anything but intended purpose.   Did years ago and never an issue - refunds promptly paid into account just as I directly pay from account.

3 hours ago, khomlong1 said:

I ordered 2 items from Lazada. Sent me 2 different items.?  Eventually returned with refund sent to my wallet . Will never use them again. Maybe they could sell me a chocolate fireguard?

Have been using US credit card for payments and get very fast credit back for refunds from Lazada.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

Never had any problem, refunds always go back to the Thai credit card I used to pay..  Is this different for debit cards?

that may work okay but if you pay cash on delivery there is no such option so this limits you to debit or credit card and not cash on delivery for refunds.

l can't be bothered waiting around the house to pay for a delivery on days I have better things to do. I pay for all my Lazada items by bank transfer using the K Plus app, and get them to leave packages at the shop next door if I'm out.  I've bought dozens of items, from big ones, such as a laser jet document centre, chest freezer, and treadmill, down to the typical "junk" you find on there (I love junk). 

Out of all of them, I've returned one - a bluetooth speaker, when the vendor sent one from the same manufacturer, but wrong model.  The process was very simple.  I filled in the return page online, they sent a link to print a Kerry label. Took the package to the Kerry place down the road and it was done.  The money was placed in my Lazada wallet, which I had activated by then, and I used it to buy the correct speaker from another vendor.  Even if I had used COD, I still wouldn't have found out the model was the wrong one before opening the outer packaging, so would have already accepted and paid for it anyway.

I've also had three refunds for orders which were cancelled, one after I'd activated the wallet, and the other two prior to that.  For the post-activated one, I simply used the amount in the wallet to buy something else.  For the two previous ones, I got the money transferred back to my bank account very easily, using the online form I posted on the previous page of this thread.

So, out of about 100 items, that's one return, and three cancellations (two by the vendors, one by myself).  On every one of these I easily got my money back within a few days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, khomlong1 said:

I ordered 2 items from Lazada. Sent me 2 different items.?  Eventually returned with refund sent to my wallet . Will never use them again. Maybe they could sell me a chocolate fireguard?

Same here (purposely imop) sent the wrong item ! It took 3 weeks to get a full refund into my Bank account!

I gave them specific instructions  that I didn't want a wallet and that I wanted it into my bank account ! They told me they  had to create a wallet and after 3 days withdraw it and deposit it into  my Bank !

I wonder if the Op ,tried another Bank  Account 

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

No it hasn't. I just tried and got the following message....

Please provide the personal information below to complete account authentication

I’m a Thai citizenI’m a foreigner

Apologies img

Apologies

Due to regulations, Lazada wallet is now open for Thai citizens only.

Please contact Customer Support for further details.

That's strange. I have been going through the obnoxious refund process for months and then recently a friend told me that it was now working for foreigners too. So I did what you just did... I stated that I am a foreigner, I put in my passport number and I activated my wallet and received a refund immediately.

395158.jpg

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...