Kidney dialysis - treatment in Thailand

nomad2019

I am going on to PD dialysis here in the UK,     I have kidney failure stage 5.          I have my own dialysis machine which can travel with me and I understand going by my doctor's that I can travel anywhere in the world,      there is a company called [ Baxter renal care ]and apparently they supply  and deliver the PD fluid to your hotel etc,       that's all well and good in Europe but remember this is Thailand and I'm thinking they will charge me for this service does anyone know about this I have emailed Baxter who are indeed a worldwide renal care company but I've had to get an answer from them regarding this

thanks for any help in advance

I would stay in London, treatment is free, also you have the chance of a new kidney, again, free. 

You will not get that here in Thailand, If you do come, make sure you have excellent medical insurance for your condition, bankruptcy can come fast here, if hospitalised, also repatriation cover might also be a good thing.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I very much doubt you can get a private company to deliver these to you in Thailand. Hospitals in Thailand can provide supplies for home PD  but:

1. You will need to first see a doctor at the hospital involved (bring your medical records, obviously)

2. It may be expensive at a private hospital especially.  Government hospitals are overstretched to meet the needs of Thais on PD and often short of supplies, will likely not look favorably on a foreigner coming in for this - and also government hospitals especially in Bangkok are overwhelmed with COVID and curtailing non-emergency services.

Also need to consider what you will do if you need medical care while in Thailand, either related to your renal failure or for something else, illness or accident - can be extremely costly and you may find it difficult or even impossible to get travel insurance.

While home PD allows you to be mobile, unless you can get insurance that will cover hospitalization costs in Thailand (including hospitalization related to your renal failure - what you need  is a policy that covers "exacerabations of chronic diseases") I would advise against coming here and suggest instead that your travel in countries where you can get free health care.

Lastly note that at present, there is a mandatory 2 week quarantine in an approved  facility (not self-isolation), at your own expense, on entering Thailand.  So now would certainly not be the time to come, and things look unlikely to change until the end of the year at soonest.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 5:21 AM, Sheryl said:

I very much doubt you can get a private company to deliver these to you in Thailand. Hospitals in Thailand can provide supplies for home PD  but:

1. You will need to first see a doctor at the hospital involved (bring your medical records, obviously)

2. It may be expensive at a private hospital especially.  Government hospitals are overstretched to meet the needs of Thais on PD and often short of supplies, will likely not look favorably on a foreigner coming in for this - and also government hospitals especially in Bangkok are overwhelmed with COVID and curtailing non-emergency services.

Also need to consider what you will do if you need medical care while in Thailand, either related to your renal failure or for something else, illness or accident - can be extremely costly and you may find it difficult or even impossible to get travel insurance.

While home PD allows you to be mobile, unless you can get insurance that will cover hospitalization costs in Thailand (including hospitalization related to your renal failure - what you need  is a policy that covers "exacerabations of chronic diseases") I would advise against coming here and suggest instead that your travel in countries where you can get free health care.

Lastly note that at present, there is a mandatory 2 week quarantine in an approved  facility (not self-isolation), at your own expense, on entering Thailand.  So now would certainly not be the time to come, and things look unlikely to change until the end of the year at soonest.

thank you

you say the time company would not deliver this to me in Thailand but Baxter renal care or worldwide and apparently they will deliver free fluid to me anywhere in the world .I will look more into this with my nephrologist next time I see him,     

5 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

thank you

you say the time company would not deliver this to me in Thailand but Baxter renal care or worldwide and apparently they will deliver free fluid to me anywhere in the world .I will look more into this with my nephrologist next time I see him,     

It seems Baxter does have a branch in Thailand, Website is only in Thai

https://www.baxter.co.th/th/

• Thanks 1