American motorcyclist killed in head on collision in Phrae

webfact

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

Oh how I love irrational generalizations...

I accept that for you and many others riding a bike here is madness.

For me it is breathing. Riding is my church and I worship everyday.

Scooter, cruiser, street fighter, dirtbike, and track bike. I have one of each and they all get overused.

16 yrs in Thailand and zero issues on two wheels.

To each his own.

riding since I was 14, riding a bike in Thailand for 7 years, everyday on the road, never had an issue, seen some crazy moves by some, but you need to understand their driving habits and have to be a 100% defensive driver. Not making excuse for anyone or pointing a finger at who is to blame, motorcycles can be dangerous, knowing that will keep you alive.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Freigeist365 said:

Got the link - found it on youtube. The Mitsubishi driver is clearly at fault - he's taking over a huge concrete or gas truck in a long left curve, unable to see oncoming traffic. The biker could have evaded to the left...

From the video it appears that the motorcyclist wasn't exactly dawdling along and made no visible attempt to brake before the collision although he did seem to make a very last moment attempt to move to the left.  That may have been difficult for someone (who may possibly not have been properly trained to ride) to do when in the middle of a right hand curve...counter steering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Possibly but in the picture the car is on the right side of the road not the left. Whether this is where it was during the collision is unknown.

Agreed,  my first reflection when seeing photos is to remember that photos are often “flipped” and so not reflective of last-right orientation.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, bojo said:

Very painful to watch that.........very raw footage and extremely sad..........Yes car driver at fault, absolutely, without a shadow, however, and I get why so many on here say they've hung up their boots and keep their bikes under the sala etc, but an experienced rider in this situation would have been more aware of what's going on all around them and would defo have slowed and moved over to the left.............................. easy for me to state this as I wasn't there I know, but I counted 3 to 4 seconds  when you can see the bike come into view from drivers cam............................ as a biker for 40+ years and with over 2 decades motorcycling in the Kingdom, this heart wrenching vid has certainly made me even more aware of how dangerous it is out there.................

no, its precious little you can actually do if someone summons in your path

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

They are usually Thais driving in Thailand, so which bit don't they understand. 

The rules they actually have written  down, I don't  believe flashing your  lights  whilst attempting to  overtake  into oncoming traffic is a  rule, hence there would be  less  dead  people.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

11 minutes ago, scammed said:

phenomenal. the car driver clearly slept through the theory that you mustnt take over if you cant see the road ahead.

this is part of the right of way rule, he has no right to be in that lane, he has to wait for everyone in that lane to pass

It's ok  because...... he probably flashed his  lights.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scammed said:

no, its precious little you can actually do if someone summons in your path

5 minutes ago, mr_lob said:

Regardless if the Thai was wrong, nothing will happen to him.

Totally different if the roles are reversed

Sure, that's the norm, but there are occasional exceptions............. lets hope in this case and with evidence, maybe to the contrary...........

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this is a completely different version of this story. what i read yesterday was two trucks were over taking each other and ran this guy down like a dog. there is dashcam video. 

a PCX is not a motorcycle.

RIP

Well I guess I'm wondering what you believe it to be if it's not a motorcycle? ????

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Certainly would help if you learn the local rules of flashing. He who flashes first has the right of way.

I'm sorry? Do you mean the rules that they themselves adhere to?

It is not what they learn in school.

2 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:

Got the link - found it on youtube. The Mitsubishi driver is clearly at fault - he's taking over a huge concrete or gas truck in a long left curve, unable to see oncoming traffic. The biker could have evaded to the left, but there would not have been the need to do so, if that moron in the black Mitsubishi would have been driving responsively and safely, waiting for a straight stretch of road to be sure there's no one coming. In addition, the car was at the very rear of the truck and could have avoided a collision by hitting the breaks hard and getting back behind the truck... Instead, he (typically local style) kept on overtaking guessing the motorbike would give way... I hope that the Mitsubishi driver will face the severe punishment he deserves.

Believe me, he don't get punishment, yes he have to pay, but that's all.

Something like this happens with the sister of my GF, the family have to begging for the money, and received 200,000 thb, that is worth a life in LOS.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Never said it was law. He who flashes first assumes that he has the right of way! This is understood by locals. 

When I read your comments...you must be a nice driver, but hope never to meet you in traffic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LesserEvil said:

Isn't it law that you don't overtake on a bend.

yes it is, its even in the theory in thai driving license school,

the dude was sleeping, if he ever attended at all that is

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Certainly would help if you learn the local rules of flashing. He who flashes first has the right of way.

it falls into the same category as many voice here,

'proceeding with caution'/signal/flashing/etc somehow gives right of way, but it aint so, if you want to use some other lane, you have to wait for your turn, and its not your turn until that lane is empty

• Like 1

Comments after watching video:

1. Road appears to be in the process of being widened into a two lane road in both directions. I can't help but wonder if the dashed yellow line dividing oncoming traffic was temporary or left over from when the road was single lane in each direction. I imagine that once road construction is completed and the road is widened into two lanes in both directions, there would be a double line or a barrier preventing passing into oncoming traffic.

2. Visibility appears to have been poor. I could not spot the motorcycle on the video until it was 'x' hundred meters away. Motorcycle appears to have been going at an ill-advised high rate of speed despite: (1) being in a construction zone, (2) visibility being impaired due to the bend in the road, (3) a large oncoming commodity transport truck further impairing visibility of possible traffic behind the commodity truck, and (4) the dashed yellow line dividing traffic which technically permitted passing into oncoming traffic.

3. I would just like to remind any newcomer expat or tourist motorists that Thai driver's licenses do not specify "corrective lenses required" when a driver has poor eyesight, so this is never enforced. There are many drivers on the road who should be wearing glasses but fail to do so, or are wearing outdated eye wear that do not properly correct their vision. It probably wasn't a factor in this case, but you should never lose sight of this here. You have to be extremely defensive and careful on Thailand's roads whether in a car, on a motorcycle, a bicycle, or as a pedestrian.

My sincerest condolences to the family and friends from a fellow American.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2